Increased Price of Cagney's

logan25

from the cruise critic news

Norwegians Pay More for Steak

That steak at Cagney's is about to get a little bit more expensive. Norwegian Cruise Line is raising the cover charge for its specialty steakhouse by $5 to $30. "In our ongoing efforts to continue to improve our specialty restaurants, we are in the process of making enhancements to the menu at Cagney's," a Norwegian spokesperson told Cruise Critic. The cover charge change will start April 13 with Norwegian Epic then roll out to the rest of the fleet.

I was looking at a CCL Baltic cruise today and saw that CCL charges $35 for their specialty steak house, I wonder is CCL's upscale restaurant any better than NCL?

It is good but I would put LeBistro above the CCL Steakhouse. That said on our last Carnival cruise (Liberty in October), we ate almost every night in the steakhouse in order to get something good to eat. That amounted to a LOT of money during the week for the three of us.

It is good but I would put LeBistro above the CCL Steakhouse. That said on our last Carnival cruise (Liberty in October), we ate almost every night in the steakhouse in order to get something good to eat. That amounted to a LOT of money during the week for the three of us.

We are looking at the 9 day NCL vs the CCL 12 day Baltic cruise for about the same price. So is what you are saying is the Liberty MDR food was not good.?

I think $35 for the upscale stark house is rather ridiculous unless it is world class prime beef.

We are looking at the 9 day NCL vs the CCL 12 day Baltic cruise for about the same price. So is what you are saying is the Liberty MDR food was not good.?

I think $35 for the upscale stark house is rather ridiculous unless it is world class prime beef.

That is exactly what I am saying. Here is a thread that I started while still on the ship. Please read through all the six pages of comments. Around page 4 (maybe 5), I make the post showing what fellow roll callers said regarding the food including the MDR.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1716556

Though we enjoy Cagneys as a suite perk for breakfast and sometimes lunch..we have not been there for dinner....we were going to maybe try it next cruise...but think we will do Moderno instead..for the variety...(and because..if the lunch menu is at all a reflection of the dinner one...we really would not bother..)

Though we enjoy Cagneys as a suite perk for breakfast and sometimes lunch..we have not been there for dinner....we were going to maybe try it next cruise...but think we will do Moderno instead..for the variety...(and because..if the lunch menu is at all a reflection of the dinner one...we really would not bother..)

Since you've eaten breakfast and lunch in Cagney's as a suite perk, I'm surprised you don't know that the lunch and dinner menus are nothing alike. The dinner menu is posted outside the entrance to the restaurant. I can't imagine you would assume the dinner menu in the MDRs is the same as the MDR lunch menu.

Since you've eaten breakfast and lunch in Cagney's as a suite perk, I'm surprised you don't know that the lunch and dinner menus are nothing alike.

Actually, they are somewhat alike. Several items on both the lunch and dinner menu. Having said that, I think he was saying he was not impressed with the lunch selections therefore would not enjoy the dinner menu for the additional $25-30 each.

Actually, they are somewhat alike. Several items on both the lunch and dinner menu. Having said that, I think he was saying he was not impressed with the lunch selections therefore would not enjoy the dinner menu for the additional $25-30 each.

The vast majority of items on the dinner menu are not available at lunch. You might be able to fool someone who doesn't know any better, but your BS isn't going to work on anyone who does.

By the way I really enjoyed your bashing the new menu earlier on this thread when you haven't even seen it, much less tried it, since it's not in place yet. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm not a great fan of the current Cagney's dinner offerings, but I'm not going to give the new menu the back of my hand without knowing anything about it, or reading about other's opinions of the quality of the new menu's food.

By the way, read the post I was replying to carefully. The poster said "if the lunch menu is at all a reflection of the dinner one...". The word "if" in that sentence means the poster doesn't know the extent of the differences or similarities of the two menus.

I haven't had cagneys since 09 so I can't comment on it. But I will say mdr food quality is down and the buffet quality is way down from what it used to be. Unless the spirit just had that much better oversight on everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

. Having said that, I think he was saying he was not impressed with the lunch selections therefore would not enjoy the dinner menu for the additional $25-30 each.

That is exactly what I meant....thanks for explaining it better..;)

PS--I am a she...:D

Sky Cagney's

IMG_8566.JPG

Don't know when you were on the Sky, but we were on the Sky a month ago as suite passengers and none of the steaks we got from Cagney's looked like this. :(

All of ours showed up as well done regardless of what we ordered. The only good thing is the steaks were a moist well done versus a dried well done. The MDR actually did a better job of a properly cooked steak than Cagney's.

I do love the fries though! Those are awesome!

My wife also loved the shrimp cocktails. She made meals out of them sometimes.

By the way, read the post I was replying to carefully. The poster said "if the lunch menu is at all a reflection of the dinner one...". The word "if" in that sentence means the poster doesn't know the extent of the differences or similarities of the two menus.

Just to clarify...no--I do not know the extent of the differences...re: variety ....my only thought is that I was not overly impressed with the quality of the food at breakfast and lunch.....I surely like the service and atmosphere..but found some of the food often on par with MDR and buffet. .

$30.00 is all that expensive for a steak house. However is does not compare with a place like Peter Lugars in Brooklyn. Having said that, a trip to Lugars will set you back $80-100 Per Person:D

Don't know when you were on the Sky, but we were on the Sky a month ago as suite passengers and none of the steaks we got from Cagney's looked like this. :(

All of ours showed up as well done regardless of what we ordered. The only good thing is the steaks were a moist well done versus a dried well done. The MDR actually did a better job of a properly cooked steak than Cagney's.

I do love the fries though! Those are awesome!

My wife also loved the shrimp cocktails. She made meals out of them sometimes.

We were on the Sky a week ago. We found it to be our best Cagney's ever, on any ship. The worst ever was the Epic this past Jan. and I would never pay $30 pp to eat there.

Cherie

• 3 weeks later...
On Celebrity that cut prices on the restaurants if they aren't full. Do they do that with Cagney's?

Kind of. They will sometimes have specials if the speciality restaurants are not 'selling'. Those specials are impossible to predict. Last year on the Jewel we had a special for any speciality restaurant, except teppanyaki and sushi for $79 for the whole week. We ate six times in Cagney's and once in Le Bistro.

Just off the Gem last friday :( ..... Still in denial ;)

Had Cagney's for dinner. It was my 4th or 5th for me, but first for my fiancee.

While we enjoyed the filet mignon,we found the side sauce was ridiculously small and not tasty. The sides where just "ok" and the appetizers where good tasting ( crab cakes ) but so small.....

Desserts: cheescake was the same served everywhere on the ship. Creme brulee was good.

In my own opinion it was worth barely the 25$ asked. IF you consider that a part of the price of the meal is " included" in your cruise ( if we eat there, we are not going to the MDR of buffet, so there is a cost saved there for Ncl ).

If you add an other 5$ to it ...... It will not be worth it for me. Hey I know 10$ on a 3000$ cruise ( including onboard account for us ) is not the end of the world but I hate paying too much for something not IN MY OPINION worth it.

• 4 months later...
Thanks NCL, that's good to hear. I like the idea of a re-vamped menu :)

Just a thought to people comparing cruising to years gone by, my first cruise was in 1984 and I paid $1050.00 with 4 to an inside cabin. The reality is that the experience has changed, but the price has also come down instead of increasing. Cuts need to be made because people insist on paying bottom dollar. Even with a specialty every night of your cruise, you're still way ahead financially. I can't imagine anyone would ever charge $4200.00 for an inside cabin for 4 these days.

I'm glad someone mentioned this...I have an inside room that with taxes was 1200.00 for a 7 day cruise. That's the cost of a moderate hotel for that time frame and it won't feed us or take us to 4 exotic places. I think sometimes we forget that. I can't wait to try cagneys and le bistro. Actually...I would love to do the chefs dinner for 89 pp, but we probably won't get on the ship in time to be on the short 12 person list

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

I'm glad someone mentioned this...I have an inside room that with taxes was 1200.00 for a 7 day cruise. That's the cost of a moderate hotel for that time frame and it won't feed us or take us to 4 exotic places.

Yes..one of the reasons we cruise..is the "inclusive" aspect....Cruising is a bargain when travelers take into account food costs above hotel for a land based vacation. (we mostly eat at "free" venues..so for us it is included) On some of our cruises the ports are a big plus..for other itineraries...the ship is our destination ..for relaxing. :)

I'm glad someone mentioned this...I have an inside room that with taxes was 1200.00 for a 7 day cruise. That's the cost of a moderate hotel for that time frame and it won't feed us or take us to 4 exotic places. I think sometimes we forget that. I can't wait to try cagneys and le bistro. Actually...I would love to do the chefs dinner for 89 pp, but we probably won't get on the ship in time to be on the short 12 person list

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

Don't give up! Quite often they add a 2nd Chef's Table. I did the one on the Sun in March. Worth every penny.

The point is - it never used to be that way. I've been cruising since I was 15 years old. Cruising used to be top notch. Top notch everything. It's not anymore. Now you have to pay extra to get an acceptable meal, and that is not cool at all. Even with the speciality dining, it in no way compares to the quality you used to get.

Yes, you are right about the quality of food and service in MDR in general, but I am paying the same cabin price that i did when I started cruising on Sun Viking in 1983. I don't mind paying $30 for a more personal dining experience.. we do it twice in the week.

Yes, you are right about the quality of food and service in MDR in general, but I am paying the same cabin price that i did when I started cruising on Sun Viking in 1983. I don't mind paying $30 for a more personal dining experience.. we do it twice in the week.

I'm definitely not paying the same price to cruise now as I was in 1995. It is much cheaper to cruise now, and the quality of food has gone way downhill. It is not the $30 that is an issue. It's the point of having to pay more to get an acceptable meal. The 5-star meals are a thing of the past. You are lucky if you get an Outback quality steak in any pay venue on the ship, and even that is not consistent.

Archived