Who took care of your pets while cruising?

CruiseSlacker

This is Hektor and Achilles. They stay home with Nana when we go away. When we get back, Hektor pees on hubby's side of the bed. That's why we strip the bed and cover it with plastic before we leave. True story. That cat can hold a SERIOUS grudge. But only against my husband, apparantly. Go figure.

cat-1.jpg

I wish I had my dog to put in a kennel for my upcoming cruise. Sadly, today I had to have her, Ms. Sassy Sue, put to sleep. I had her love and affection for almost 10 years. I will miss her.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope happy memories can soon come to the hole in your heart right now.

This is Hektor and Achilles. They stay home with Nana when we go away. When we get back, Hektor pees on hubby's side of the bed. That's why we strip the bed and cover it with plastic before we leave. True story. That cat can hold a SERIOUS grudge. But only against my husband, apparantly. Go figure.

Darling cats! We also put plastic on the mattress before a trip since the older cat sleeps almost entirely on our bed and sometimes spits up. That way, the house/cat sitter doesn't have to worry about it.

Years ago I heard of a woman who came back to find her pet had been put to sleep because the animal had become ill and the "friend" who was feeding and checking thought surely she wouldn't want to pay a huge vet bill. (Had taken to vet and gotten diagnosis/prognosis).

1) Couldn't believe the vet would put down an animal on orders from someone other than the owner

2) notified my vet that if anyone is brought in ill, we'll pay when we return from trip. We also leave a letter taped to the top of the carrier putting those wishes in writing so that if someone new or we don't know is there, it's all written and clear.

We've used the same house-pet-sitter for several years. She had to retire from her job due to back problems so now this is her "career" and she's a lifesaver!

Fortunately, my Mom lives 2 miles from my house, so she's my kitty-sitter when I'm gone. Our Alaska cruise, she still had her cat, Molly, who had an intense dislike of my cat Casey, so Casey had to stay at home, and "Grandma" came to check on him. Casey & Molly are no longer with us :(, but my new kitty, Donny will go stay with Grandma when we cruise next March. He could stay at home, since mom will be coming over to our condo development anyway to check on my BFF's cat while we're gone, but he's much happier going to Grandma's.

Chino stays with a friend who has another Tibetan terrier exactly the same age as him.

We met by complete coincidence in the local park two years ago when we both had 6 month old Tibetan puppies.

Chino adores my friend and the two dogs are great pals. I know he'll be well looked after and as they are so local to us, he gets to go to the familiar places that he's used to so there's not too much change for him.

We hire a professional cat sitting service to come and look after our cats. We started this because one of our cats was on a daily heart medicine. After switching vets, we were told that the cat really didn't need to be on the medicine for his condition. We stopped the med, but still continue to call the cat sitter if we're away for a number of days.

Archived