tours and hotel in Venice

beach grandma

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Barcelona on May 15th. When we get to Venice we're staying for 2 extra nights. Does anyone have a good, reasonably priced, hotel in Venice as well as suggestions for restaurants. Two in our party can't walk long distances.

Thanks

There are SO MANY hotels in Venice you really have to do some reading.

Venice is a walking city and it will be hard for your limited mobility folks to get around much.

Try to stay relatively near to St. Marks so they can enjoy that magnificent area.

If you want the stay of a lifetime - try looking at the Palazzo Abadessa.

The Palazzo might not be as economical as you want but with breakfast included (very nice) and free drinks in the evening and lovely little things to munch on you can quickly justify it. Especially with the water taxi dock.

We spent 4 glorious nights there and truly, enjoyed it.

Or choose another hotel with a water taxi dock - it will really help you if you have mobility issues and need to get to the hotel with luggage.

Remember - taxis can't take you to the door - you are going to have to tote luggage - the best bet IMO is a water taxi - let them get your luggage and take care of you. Forget the gondola ride and use the water taxi - it's really nice going to the ship - a great view and fun.

This is probably a once in a lifetime trip - make the most of it:D

the ports board for Italy has oodles of info - take a look and have fun planning:D

I fully agree about staying in a hotel with a water taxi dock making a lot of difference. Makes it so much more convenient and easy on those with mobility issues.

We were avid walkers each time we visited Venice but at the end of a long day/evening of walking, that water taxi dock was most welcome. :)

Whatever you do in Italy, wear a money belt under your clothes and put important documents/money/credit cards in there. Not trying to scare you, and I don't know if you have been there before, but pickpocketing is rampant in that country, at least from what I experienced a few years ago. It was particularly noticeable in Florence, but it is everywhere. Very important that you watch your purse/wallet and all valuables, on the streets and even in museums. That being said, it is a beautiful and fascinating place to visit....you will really enjoy it! Have fun!

Whatever you do in Italy, wear a money belt under your clothes and put important documents/money/credit cards in there. Not trying to scare you, and I don't know if you have been there before, but pickpocketing is rampant in that country, at least from what I experienced a few years ago. It was particularly noticeable in Florence, but it is everywhere. Very important that you watch your purse/wallet and all valuables, on the streets and even in museums. That being said, it is a beautiful and fascinating place to visit....you will really enjoy it! Have fun!

VERY good advice. Carry as little on you as possible when you are out touring/walking. They are expert at ripping shoulder bags off women, camera cases, pickpockets are expert and rampant. They aren't trying to hurt anyone, they just want your valuables. Never carry all your credit cards on you. Leave at least one in hotel safe. Never carry all your cash...only what you expect to need that day. Don't wear flashy jewelry. Ladies, if you need a purse, wear a small cross body and keep your hand on it when walking. Some people feel secure with backpacks but seems to me, it's easy to unzip from behind, grab and run but I don't wear one so don't know.

Use common sense and stay aware of your surroundings.

This is true everywhere,,,, not just Venice and certainly not just Europe but there seems to be lots of this sort of crime all over Europe.

I am far from an expert on Venice but I do travel with my husband who cannot walk long distances. Hotel near St. Marks Square would be ideal. Make sure your hotel has a dock where water taxi can stop. That being said on our last trip to Venice we encountered a high tide (Sept) and our water taxi couldn't get under the bridges to get to hotel dock. We had to walk from Rialto Bridge area. This wasn't fun with luggage and my husbands walking ability. Grand Canal hotels are always accessable by water taxi. Not sure if you will encounter floods in May.

We stayed at Hotel BonVecchiati. It is near St. Marks be there are several bridges. I think the Best Western is also near St. Marks.

Restaurants are everywhere. I wouldn't worry about that. If you ask for restaurant recommendation from hotel, they will send you to a restaurant they get a kickback from. This happened to us but we enjoyed the restaurant so that was fine.

VERY good advice. Carry as little on you as possible when you are out touring/walking. They are expert at ripping shoulder bags off women, camera cases, pickpockets are expert and rampant. They aren't trying to hurt anyone, they just want your valuables. Never carry all your credit cards on you. Leave at least one in hotel safe. Never carry all your cash...only what you expect to need that day. Don't wear flashy jewelry. Ladies, if you need a purse, wear a small cross body and keep your hand on it when walking. Some people feel secure with backpacks but seems to me, it's easy to unzip from behind, grab and run but I don't wear one so don't know.

Use common sense and stay aware of your surroundings.

This is true everywhere,,,, not just Venice and certainly not just Europe but there seems to be lots of this sort of crime all over Europe.

Yes, I saw some stuff that would curl your hair in Italy. Blatant picpocketing....I believe it is the national pastime over there. It doesn't help that their economy is not too great over there now either. There were "groups" of pickpockets (we spotted them, others maybe not)in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. Gypsies on the streets also, using children to do their nasty theivery. Just awful. You need to be very careful. No flashy jewelry either....one theif tried to take a big diamond ring off of a young newlywed's hand on our tour while the thief was trying to "shake hands" and pretending to be friendly. I purchased one of those small travel purses from an online travel store which cannot be cut thru the bottom or the strap cut, a very good investment to have. I agree, put the strap across your body to prevent "drive by" purse grabbing. I even use it here in the states. You just never know these days where the criminals lurk.....ANY tourist trap can have them, but Europe seemed to be the worst, at least from what I saw.

Being near a water taxi is a great idea. I would suggest the Hilton Molino Stuckey. It is a little removed, but that is the beauty of it. The views from the Guidecca canal facing rooms are beautiful. When the cruise ships pass through the canal each morning and evening, you feel that you can reach right out and touch them. The hotel has elevators, a rooftop pool with great views of the city, and a very nice breakfast buffet. Their water taxi is easy to board, no steps, and goes directly to two locations. It will take you to the St. Marks area for one day where you will, at most, have one bridge to navigate before getting into the square. The second day, you can go to the Zatare stop and visit the St. Stephen's Campo area, again with perhaps only one bridge. Hotel water taxi to these stops is complimentary and runs every 20 minutes or so. If you arrive into Venice airport, you can take a water taxi or Allilaguna directly to the hotel. I like Allilaguna because it takes about an hour to get to the hotel and along the way you see many sights. It is also less expensive than a water taxi. Tickets can be purchased online before you leave home and are quite reasonable. The water taxi docks are within the airport property but are quite a walk with suitcases for someone with mobility issues. You can get a car taxi right to it though. Good luck, I'm becoming more jealous with every word I write for you. I just love Venice.

Archived