Vancouver to Seattle

mikefoz1

Does someone have any ideas on this?

Post cruise we booked a flight out of Seattle because it was $700 less than Vancouver, how do we get there? We just found out from Princess that our flight leaving Seattle at 2:20 is to early for there transportation.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Mike

We have done quick coach, but mostly rent a car.

They are always shuttling cars back and forth from Seattle/Vancouver.

When we rent we have never had a drop fee.

About 150 miles, beautiful drive.

Only issue might be a delay at the boarder, especially coming back. to the US

We have tried the train but it would be my last option.

Mike

Have you checked your roll call and posted this there? Might be others going in to Seattle that you might hook up with and share a ride. Is your airline ticket non refundable?

Quick Coach summer schedule starting May 11 shows leaving Canada Place pier at 9am and into Seatac at 1:20pm. That is close, but may work for you if it runs on the right days for you. It runs this schedule Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun.

One way fare shows $58.50 (seniors $55.00).

The website indicates that schedule is specifically for cruise passengers.

We hired a car from Seattle to Vancouver and took our time, stopping at a friends on the way. I think it was about a 4 hour drive maximum. We did not have to pay a one way drop off fee.

:)

I travel across the border all the time. We have "Nexus" which is a pre approved border crossing card. If you can get and qualify for Nexus, it's awesome. The lines are much shorter. If the huge layoff of border crossing guards takes effect you could have a four or five hour wait at the border. Even now with the staffing they have the lines can be 2 1/2 to 3 hours! With a Nexus card and renting a car you are looking at 3 1/2 hours to Sea-Tac. If you took off your luggage you should make it.

If you can get bus transport from either the cruise line or Quik Shuttle that would probably be better, but don't trust their times as the border is unpredictable. If there is a "problem" they close the border! It doesn't happen very often but does happen.

Here is a link that will show you the wait times:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

I would try to change the flight time! Good luck!

If you cannot change your flight, Nexus would be a good option. I've never waited longer than 30 minutes to cross at Peace Arch on Hwy 99 (Canada) I-5 (US) in the Nexus or Ready Lane. During the week they have two lanes open. At least that was before the layoffs were announced. It has a lot of benefits for frequent flyers including Global Entry. If takes 2 - 3 months so if you have time and are interested here is the information for US citizens.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/

I live ten minutes from this border crossing so if you have any information, don't hesitate to ask. I drive across at least once a week.

If you cannot change your flight, Nexus would be a good option. I've never waited longer than 30 minutes to cross at Peace Arch on Hwy 99 (Canada) I-5 (US) in the Nexus or Ready Lane. During the week they have two lanes open. At least that was before the layoffs were announced. It has a lot of benefits for frequent flyers including Global Entry. If takes 2 - 3 months so if you have time and are interested here is the information for US citizens.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/

I live ten minutes from this border crossing so if you have any information, don't hesitate to ask. I drive across at least once a week.

He's sailing in 2 months, Nexus isn't going to come that quick.

OP, you really need to change your flight. Downtown to Seatac is 3 1/2 hours at best with no stops and no traffic, probably closer to 4. Not sure how you planned on doing that and being able to check into your flight on time. Your only viable option IMH if you want to keep your current flight is book a flight from Vancouver to Seattle but it's around $200 each which cuts into the money you were trying to save. Or, you could look at Quick Coach to Bellingham and then book a $90 flight from Bellingham to Seatac, that would probably get you to make the flight.

Lets face it. Between the airline change fees and transportation to Seattle he has eaten up most of his $700 savings. How about just staying in Seattle for the night and enjoying the city.

He's sailing in 2 months, Nexus isn't going to come that quick.

OP, you really need to change your flight. Downtown to Seatac is 3 1/2 hours at best with no stops and no traffic, probably closer to 4. Not sure how you planned on doing that and being able to check into your flight on time. Your only viable option IMH if you want to keep your current flight is book a flight from Vancouver to Seattle but it's around $200 each which cuts into the money you were trying to save. Or, you could look at Quick Coach to Bellingham and then book a $90 flight from Bellingham to Seatac, that would probably get you to make the flight.

Going to Bellingham is a big risk with the border lineups. Flights out of YVR to SEA would be the best option, although expensive. If he takes his luggge off, uses SkyTrain (taxi waits are horrific!) to YVR he won't have a problem. Expensive yes, but really his only option IMHO. Of course the best option is changing the flight.

Going to Bellingham is a big risk with the border lineups. Flights out of YVR to SEA would be the best option, although expensive. If he takes his luggge off, uses SkyTrain (taxi waits are horrific!) to YVR he won't have a problem. Expensive yes, but really his only option IMHO. Of course the best option is changing the flight.

After looking at the flight schedules I don't think he'd make it out of Bellingham anyway..there's a 9:20 and then a 12:20, nothing inbetween. Bellingham wouldn't have been bad because quick coach goes there as one of it's stops and they'd be quick getting through the border. But yes, two options only as far as I see... $400 for the two of them to fly, or change flight.

We have flown on our Frontier 2:20 flight many times.

We take the Princess transfer (no stops like quick coach) and have about 2 hours by the time we reach SeaTac.

Princess uses the faster lane to cross the boarder.

Yeah things can happen just as they can on a later flight.

I'm with the others. It's too late now to get approved for Nexus and with the budget cuts just mentioned...

Even if you were the first off the ship I think you're cutting it way too close. The border is the wild card here.

We have flown on our Frontier 2:20 flight many times.

We take the Princess transfer (no stops like quick coach) and have about 2 hours by the time we reach SeaTac.

Princess uses the faster lane to cross the boarder.

Yeah things can happen just as they can on a later flight.

Princess has already told him no, it's too early for them.

border crossing times on a car or bus is always a risk. When 4 or 5 buses show up at the same time I've sat there for hrs. Its a risk. If you do decide on Quickcoach they have a handful that are express from Dock in Vancouver direct to Seatac. The others can make multiple stops and it can take a while. They build in a delay factor at the border but the express is expedited at the border and is much faster. Seatac in summer can have long security lines so even if you get there pronto your still cutting it close. Last friday nite to cross from Vanc to Seattle was over one hr. If you look on tripadvisor seattle forum on top right is a link about trips to canada and there is a link to historic border crossing times. Buses must unload all luggage and everyone goes thru immigration. The expidited buses don't normally have to do this.

Only way I can see you making a 14:20 flight out of SEA (which is south of Seattle -- a city with bad traffic), is to fly YVR-SEA. Air Canada and Alaska Air's regional airlines both operate this route. Yes, it's going to be $150+/ea, but I don't see any other way.

Archived