Southwest/Airtran baggage fees

bibbysnow

We have booked a flight on AirTran through the Southwest websight. Will we have to pay baggage fees?

It's very confusing to me.

I'm sure you will. They haven't completely merged. I did a dummy booking some months ago and it showed that I had baggage fees. You must be doing a Caribbean flight. The only ones SW handles is San Juan.

But if you want complete certainty, I'd call....although it should have shown you on screen that you'd have fees.

From the AirTran site ...

http://www.airtran.com/policies/ancillary_fees.aspx

Baggage Fee

1st and 2nd Checked Bag Fee

Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, first checked bag fee is $25 and second checked bag fee is $35 when bag fees apply.

Excess Baggage Fee

Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, the 3rd checked bag and any bag thereafter is $75 per piece.

Oversize and Overweight Baggage Fee

Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $75.

actually they just sent out an email about this the other day you can now book airtran flights through southwest and with that you pay a different price than what you would through airtran, but then you also get the southwest benefits and rewards so no baggage fees.

I was looking into it because airtran had some crazy deals into FLL for $57 each way but if you try to book the same airtran flight through southwest, it's $73.

actually they just sent out an email about this the other day you can now book airtran flights through southwest and with that you pay a different price than what you would through airtran, but then you also get the southwest benefits and rewards so no baggage fees.

I was looking into it because airtran had some crazy deals into FLL for $57 each way but if you try to book the same airtran flight through southwest, it's $73.

Okay, I would like to do Air Tran because they go to Miami and Southwest doesn't. So, how do you go about being on Southwest site and selecting Airtran.. ?? thanks

the flights I am looking at are 145 each way to FLL. and that is the cheapest air I can find :eek: I kind of think these fares will not go down...

Okay, I would like to do Air Tran because they go to Miami and Southwest doesn't. So, how do you go about being on Southwest site and selecting Airtran.. ?? thanks

You just search for flights on the southwest site, and if there are airtran flights in the mix it will be indicated over by the flight number..southwest does columbus, airtran does toledo and cleveland i think?

Perhaps things have changed since October, although we booked through Southwest to go from Rochester to Orlando and it was with Air Tran. When we went to print out boarding passes, it asked about luggage and we had to pay a luggage fee.

Now, we will be lucky for our trip to Rochester as it is now a Southwest flight and no longer Air Tran. Yippee!!!!

As long as it was booked fully on Southwest's website; no baggage fees if you book an Airtran flight. When you do the online check in 24 hrs prior you can pick your seats if it's an Airtran flight--- southwest flights it's still the same when you check in, you get your boarding group. Over the next year they are planning on switching everything over to Southwest. Also you check in at the Southwest counter when you arrive at the airport..This is all via the southwest agent when I called asking.

You just search for flights on the southwest site, and if there are airtran flights in the mix it will be indicated over by the flight number..southwest does columbus, airtran does toledo and cleveland i think?

only problem is you cannot select Miami as a destination because southwest doesn't fly there...

As long as it was booked fully on Southwest's website; no baggage fees if you book an Airtran flight. When you do the online check in 24 hrs prior you can pick your seats if it's an Airtran flight--- southwest flights it's still the same when you check in, you get your boarding group.Over the next year they are planning on switching everything over to SouthwesOver t. Also you check in at the Southwest counter when you arrive at the airport..This is all via the southwest agent when I called asking.

Actually, I think they already started it. You can no longer fly to Miami via Airtran. :(

Airtran didnt fly into Miami even before the merger. It was always Ft Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.

Oh, I could have sworn we used it to fly into Miami. OOPS:o Guess I was wrong... so for me, I guess I will stick with Southwest, unless of course arrival time is not good and AirTran offers something better.

• 2 months later...

We flew an Airtran flight a couple weeks ago which we booked on the Southwest website. We were not charged the Airtran luggage fee or charged a change fee due to us changing our flight to a different time. Typically Airtran charges $75/pp for a flight modification.

The only down side was no seat assignments until check-in. So once assigned seats - my wife, 22-month daughter and I were seated apart due to the flight being full. Initially I thought, okay, I get a break... woo hoo!;) But once we boarded some very nice people traded seats with us so we could sit together. Airtran could not do anything to seat us together once seats were assigned, so we had to deal with that on our own.

We checked our luggage at the Airtran ticketing counter, not Southwest. I didn't think to go to the SWA counter since it was a Airtran flight.

Archived