Door slamming on Carnival

JsJourneys

Just returned from Carnival Legend 7 day western caribbean.

Has anyone on the Legend or other Carnival ships (or other lines) noticed

loud slamming of balcony and hallway doors (particularly balcony)? Our next-door neighbors were slamming or letting their balcony door loudly bang shut very often; making me jump in bed...and just getting on my nerves in general. I mean seriously, how could they not notice the noise; especially since they were in and out in and out all the time?! We are talking a loud BANG that shakes the walls. Were they totally oblivious or just rude?

What would you do??? Politely ask them to shut it quietly, call guest services, talk to the cabin steward...or just be annoyed? OR start banging your door to give a hint?? I think it was partly a mechanical issue. Ours did not bang loudly when we just let it shut on its own, but we were careful to close it quietly. (It wasn't a wind issue.)

I think sliding patio doors would be better. And couldn't Carnival post a notice on the door next to 'air conditioning goes off when door is open' about 'please close the door quietly.'

Thanks...just had to vent. :)

And couldn't Carnival post a notice on the door next to 'air conditioning goes off when door is open' about 'please close the door quietly.

...Just off the Breeze last month, and the ONLY problem that we had were our Cove Balcony neighbors slamming their balcony doors. We also said a nice sign on the balcony door or on the wall next to the door stating "For the comfort of your neighboring balcony guests, please do not allow balcony doors to slam" would be a great idea. Seems like a simple fix.

On our Freedom cruise in June, our neighbors also were in and out - in and out - in and out of their balcony and their door slammed each and every time. It annoyed the crap out of me, and I also thought it was very rude. Our balcony door also closed heavily, however the room connecting to ours (which had family in it), their balcony door closed very quietly. After I got overly annoyed and couldn't take it much more, I just started allowing our balcony door to slam closed and began talking loudly saying that if the neighbors were going to continue to be rude by allowing their balcony door to slam shut, I would also continue the same treatment. Happily, they started closing their door more quietly, allowing for better peace and quiet.

I do agree that a sign (or sticker) on the balcony door would be nice - doubt it will ever happen, but it would still be nice.

Hear it on almost every line.....most of us make that mistake once...maybe our wife's or moms taught us better?

But far better then the party on the balcony crew, the kiddy play pen balcony, or the must chat on the cell phone as loud as I can person....boo boo its mommy....all day long....

We have only had balcony cabins and the door slamming is a legit complaint as we know it all too well. It is so obvious to us that the door slams hard that we make it a point to hold the door until it rests on the door jam then pull it until it 'clicks'. It is ultra annoying when the late nighters come in and out of their balcony a hundred times at 4:00am and don't have the common sense to know their door is waking up half the people on their deck. Oh well, nothing you can do about it. CCL wants those doors to shut completely which is why they were designed to close slowly yet slam at the last second and I doubt they will do anything about it.

This is a pet peeve of mine! It drives me nuts. How hard is it to hold the balcony door closed instead of letting it go?

My DH does this and it is so annoying. I have to remind him that it is so not necessary to just open the door and bam, let it go flying behind you!

Hold the handle and guide it gently.

Easy peasy, or so you would think.

I really think the slammers don't realize what they are doing, at least I don't think it is intentional. I could be wrong.:eek:

On our Freedom cruise in June, our neighbors also were in and out - in and out - in and out of their balcony and their door slammed each and every time. It annoyed the crap out of me, and I also thought it was very rude. Our balcony door also closed heavily, however the room connecting to ours (which had family in it), their balcony door closed very quietly. After I got overly annoyed and couldn't take it much more, I just started allowing our balcony door to slam closed and began talking loudly saying that if the neighbors were going to continue to be rude by allowing their balcony door to slam shut, I would also continue the same treatment. Happily, they started closing their door more quietly, allowing for better peace and quiet.

I do agree that a sign (or sticker) on the balcony door would be nice - doubt it will ever happen, but it would still be nice.

Wonder if the family got irate over your door slamming :rolleyes:

It wasn't a balcony door, but on Sensation last month there was one closet door that I swear I slammed every time I touched the dang thing. It wasn't intentional but there was something about the latch thingy at the top of the door. All I had to do was exhale and it would jump out of my hand and slam shut.

I cringed every time it happened thinking people were going to think I was one of those inconsiderate door slammers. So if anyone was on that sailing and kept hearing a door slam followed by bursts of colorful metaphors, my apologies.

I never noticed balcony/room door slamming on either of my cruises. I guess I was so worn out every night that I never heard them, and I'm a very light sleeper! I try to be cognizant of my doors wherever I'm staying, because I have had problems with noisy hotel neighbors before. On my next cruise I'm in a connecting room, so I'm a bit worried about the noise. At least it's a short trip :rolleyes:

I am the type that would talk to the slammer politely, but I realize that a lot of people do not want that kind of interaction/confrontation at all. I think the best suggestion I have seen (mind you I have not tried this) is to write a small polite note informing them that their door slamming can be heard 3 cabins away and stick it in the mail box. I tend to believe that a lot of the slammers don't realize that the whole ship is metal and the sound and vibration carries further than their walls.

Two cruises ago we had a really bad door slammer, both the cabin door and the balcony. One day while I was reading and dozing on the balcony it happened and scared the crap out of me, I was tempted to say something but DH said not to. When we were coming home from the comedy show that night there was a sticky note saying "please stop letting your doors slam, we know it's probably not on purpose but it is very loud and disturbing to those around you". We were glad to know we weren't the only ones annoyed by it and the note seemed to work, I do believe that people just don't realize how loud it is to those around them and therefore don't pay much attention.

I am the type that would talk to the slammer politely, but I realize that a lot of people do not want that kind of interaction/confrontation at all. I think the best suggestion I have seen (mind you I have not tried this) is to write a small polite note informing them that their door slamming can be heard 3 cabins away and stick it in the mail box. I tend to believe that a lot of the slammers don't realize that the whole ship is metal and the sound and vibration carries further than their walls.

I would do this, too. I wouldn't want a face to face confrontation because for all you know they would say "it's my cabin, I'll do what I want" and then increase the slamming. Guest services and the cabin steward would probably say nothing. Honestly, the doors usually slam shut unless you stop them. People don't realize.... The note would be best.

Two cruises ago we had a really bad door slammer, both the cabin door and the balcony. One day while I was reading and dozing on the balcony it happened and scared the crap out of me, I was tempted to say something but DH said not to. When we were coming home from the comedy show that night there was a sticky note saying "please stop letting your doors slam, we know it's probably not on purpose but it is very loud and disturbing to those around you". We were glad to know we weren't the only ones annoyed by it and the note seemed to work, I do believe that people just don't realize how loud it is to those around them and therefore don't pay much attention.

I would do this, too. I wouldn't want a face to face confrontation because for all you know they would say "it's my cabin, I'll do what I want" and then increase the slamming. Guest services and the cabin steward would probably say nothing. Honestly, the doors usually slam shut unless you stop them. People don't realize.... The note would be best.

AND This is why we pack stickies .. LOL

A simple note avoids any possible confrontations. For all they know it could be from a cabin on the other side, above or below them.

We had a stampede above our heads on a cruise. I went up there and posted a note on the cabin door letting them know their kids were being inconsiderate by making excessive noise. The stampede stopped that night. :D

Just returned from Carnival Legend 7 day western caribbean.

Has anyone on the Legend or other Carnival ships (or other lines) noticed

loud slamming of balcony and hallway doors (particularly balcony)? Our next-door neighbors were slamming or letting their balcony door loudly bang shut very often; making me jump in bed...and just getting on my nerves in general. I mean seriously' date=' how could they not notice the noise; especially since they were in and out in and out all the time?! We are talking a loud BANG that shakes the walls. Were they totally oblivious or just rude?

What would you do??? Politely ask them to shut it quietly, call guest services, talk to the cabin steward...or just be annoyed? OR start banging your door to give a hint?? I think it was partly a mechanical issue. Ours did not bang loudly when we just let it shut on its own, but we were careful to close it quietly. (It wasn't a wind issue.)

I think sliding patio doors would be better. And couldn't Carnival post a notice on the door next to 'air conditioning goes off when door is open' about 'please close the door quietly.'

Thanks...just had to vent. :)[/quote']

If its habitual, I don't have a problem knocking on the door and asking them to cool it, politely.

But often more times than not, it's the person I'm sharing my cabin with that I'm making that request.

A politely written note placed in the mail box of our neighbors is often the solution. It's worked well for us. Strange as it seems many people don't know slamming doors are irksome to others.

There is at least one door slammer nearby on every cruise I have been on. It doesn't bother me because I could sleep though the ship sinking... lol... but my wife is a light sleeper, so I feel bad for her.

The people that let their door slam do it because they don't care about what others think, they think they are the only people on the ship. If its not kids, its drunk adults. Room steward calls do nothing, if not make it worse. Confrontations usually don't help, and when I'm on a cruise I am trying to avoid anything that isn't putting me in a good mood, so while I am one that is perfectly ok with confrontation, I usually avoid it on vacations if possible.

We had a corner AFT on The Magic and our balcony door was very heavy. At 63 I just don't have the strength anymore to handle such heavy objects. Not all the times but at times, try as I tried sometimes it just slammed shut on me even though I put my shoulder into it.

So if you were next to me during Spring Break of 2012 and I disturbed you, I now apologize.

We always hear door slamming and have opening admitted to being a door slammer...its been 6 years since my first door slamming. We are not proud of it. We are trying to change for the better :) It is not intentional and we definitely try to catch the early morning or the very late at night ones...

I have had it a couple times , and for us it was the kids next store. I did speak to the parent and they were very nice about.. So for the rest of the cruise when the door slammed it was followed by the guy yelling at his kids "stop slamming the door" the wife and I thought it was hilarious

Ship happens

I have had it a couple times , and for us it was the kids next store. I did speak to the parent and they were very nice about.. So for the rest of the cruise when the door slammed it was followed by the guy yelling at his kids "stop slamming the door" the wife and I thought it was hilarious

Ship happens

That can only make things better :D

Archived