Laem Chabang Thailand overnight-what to do in area without going to Bangkok?

banditoo

This October we will be overnight in port in Laem Chabang Thailand on the Voyager of Seas. We have been to Bangkok before so are not planning to go to Bangkok again. What suggestions are there for interesting experiences or sites to see for two days closer to Laem Chabang?

There is nothing in Laem Chabang, but a little further south is the beach resort town of Pattaya. Google Pattaya or check with youtube.com to see if it fits your taste.

Have done a bit of reading already on Pattaya and not overly impressed. :( Was hoping someone had some direct experience with doing something very interesting in the area that they would recommend.

Also agree there is nothing around Laem Chabang that I would call interesting.

We visited Si Racha Tiger Zoo http://www.tigerzoo.com in 2006 when we were there for an overnight. It was OK. But if you have ever been to a fine zoo (like San Diego) you would probably be disappointed as it is rather run down and somewhat cheesy (Like the Scorpion Lady...who stands there covered in Scorpions)

Nong Nooch Tropical Garden is beautiful would definitely suggest a visit there. http://nongnoochgarden.com/home.html

Joe

IMHO Pattaya is not as bad as some people make out.Yes, there is some sleaze and there are many old European men with lovely Thai girls , but there are other things to do. We are planning to stay overnight - we will visit the elephant village, go to a ladyboy show at Tiffany's, wander round the night market and go to the live shooting gallery. You won't find history or culture, but don't discount Pattaya purely on it's sleazy reputation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

IMHO Pattaya is not as bad as some people make out.Yes, there is some sleaze and there are many old European men with lovely Thai girls , but there are other things to do. We are planning to stay overnight - we will visit the elephant village, go to a ladyboy show at Tiffany's, wander round the night market and go to the live shooting gallery. You won't find history or culture, but don't discount Pattaya purely on it's sleazy reputation

Can you tell me more about the elephant village or post a link?

Sorry about the delay in replying. Here's the link to the elephant village www.elephant-village-pattaya.com. It gets good reviews on Tripadvisor

Thank you! That looks very similar to some of the things we did in an Elephant Sanctuary in Northern Thailand a number of years ago. Have just read the trip Advisor reviews too and it does sound great. I think that will be one of our plans. Perhaps we can do the 3.5 hour tour and also go to the Sanctuary of Truth in the same day. One of the TA reviews about the Elephant Village mentions that the Village organized a pickup from Laem Chabang port which would be great. We are in port 2 days, but was thinking maybe to make the other day more of a beach day or even go off shore if there is a nice island or boat tour from the area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am resurrecting my prior thread as I am stumped again in planning for our Laem Chabang port stop. Hopefully more people with experience of doing it themselves in this port can provide some ideas. We are in port this October for a full day, overnight then leaving the next day at 1400. We have already done a land trip and spent time in Bangkok so I would prefer to do something in the vicinity of Laem Chabang or Pattaya. I have had disappointing responses from tour or transfer services who either don't respond at all or provide responses with inaccurate info or don't seem to understand the inquiries that I have sent them (possibly language barriers) . The email responses have not inspired confidence and I am not inclined to pay in advance to someone who can't seem to communicate clearly or understand what we are inquiring about. I had thought we might be able to combine a trip to the Sanctuary of Truth and Pattaya Elephant Village but that is proving to be challenging for the reasons mentioned. Does anyone have other ideas or drivers/transfer companies that you have had success with in the Laem Chabang area?

I am resurrecting my prior thread as I am stumped again in planning for our Laem Chabang port stop. Hopefully more people with experience of doing it themselves in this port can provide some ideas. We are in port this October for a full day, overnight then leaving the next day at 1400. We have already done a land trip and spent time in Bangkok so I would prefer to do something in the vicinity of Laem Chabang or Pattaya. I have had disappointing responses from tour or transfer services who either don't respond at all or provide responses with inaccurate info or don't seem to understand the inquiries that I have sent them (possibly language barriers) . The email responses have not inspired confidence and I am not inclined to pay in advance to someone who can't seem to communicate clearly or understand what we are inquiring about. I had thought we might be able to combine a trip to the Sanctuary of Truth and Pattaya Elephant Village but that is proving to be challenging for the reasons mentioned. Does anyone have other ideas or drivers/transfer companies that you have had success with in the Laem Chabang area?

We have a tour booked with bangkokasiatravel.com email is bangkokasiatravel@yahoo.com. The fellow's name is Mike, and he has answered all our emails promptly, and catered to our specific needs. His rates are also very reasonable. This is the tour we have chosen for our day there next March. I am sure he will also offer suggestions for you re both days. I was very impressed with his service, so far. A very small deposit is required once you have decided on an itinerary.

· Pick up: 08:00am from your Celebrity Millenium Cruise

· Nong Nooch Botanical Garden with

· 09:45am elephant and Thai cultural show

· Explore the beautiful botanical garden

· Lunch at Plub Pluang Restaurant

· Pattaya Floating Market

· Photo and explore the Pattaya Floating Market

· View point of Pattaya at Khao Phra Tum Nak

Or The big Buddha at Wat Phra yai is the same place

· Best spot to take photo of Pattaya city

· Visit to Sanctuary of truth

· Shopping in city

· Transfer back to Crusie

· 05:00pm Arrived at Celebrity Millenium Cruise

· End of tour with us

Worth emailing him. If you do go with this company, would love to hear how your day went.

Jen

We have a tour booked with bangkokasiatravel.com email is bangkokasiatravel@yahoo.com. The fellow's name is Mike, and he has answered all our emails promptly, and catered to our specific needs. His rates are also very reasonable. This is the tour we have chosen for our day there next March. I am sure he will also offer suggestions for you re both days. I was very impressed with his service, so far. A very small deposit is required once you have decided on an itinerary.

· Pick up: 08:00am from your Celebrity Millenium Cruise

· Nong Nooch Botanical Garden with

· 09:45am elephant and Thai cultural show

· Explore the beautiful botanical garden

· Lunch at Plub Pluang Restaurant

· Pattaya Floating Market

· Photo and explore the Pattaya Floating Market

· View point of Pattaya at Khao Phra Tum Nak

Or The big Buddha at Wat Phra yai is the same place

· Best spot to take photo of Pattaya city

· Visit to Sanctuary of truth

· Shopping in city

· Transfer back to Crusie

· 05:00pm Arrived at Celebrity Millenium Cruise

· End of tour with us

Worth emailing him. If you do go with this company, would love to hear how your day went.

Jen

Thanks Jen

I have just checked out the website site and sent an inquiry. I am wondering how you heard about them...was it a recommendation, review or just random google search?

Hi Betty,

I came across them when doing internet research for this port. I then googled, and also looked on trip advisor. They had very good feedback for other tours available, some from cruise ship passengers, but most from land vacationers.

I also had the same issues as you, with some either not replying, and some with language barriers. Most were more interested in organising Bangkok with overnighters, which made me think that the distance travelling to this port was an effort for them.

Good luck with your search!

Go to Bangkok or stay on the boat .

Laem Chebang is an industrial port area, heped with thousands of containers.

The nearest place is Pataya a seedy Thai beach resort offering dubious street food, nice beaches, and lots of massage places and prostitutes touting for business . My least favourite port in Asia , Truly dreadful .

Hi Betty,

I came across them when doing internet research for this port. I then googled, and also looked on trip advisor. They had very good feedback for other tours available, some from cruise ship passengers, but most from land vacationers.

I also had the same issues as you, with some either not replying, and some with language barriers. Most were more interested in organising Bangkok with overnighters, which made me think that the distance travelling to this port was an effort for them.

Good luck with your search!

I heard back from Mike with a quote for an itinerary the same as yours. Have sent him some more questions including about any cancellation policy, payment process etc.

I heard back from Mike with a quote for an itinerary the same as yours. Have sent him some more questions including about any cancellation policy, payment process etc.

The payment is $US on the day, with a very small deposit, via PayPal, required to secure the booking. I feel ok about this tour re Pattaya. Most of it is outside the 'seedy' city area. Please let us know how things go:)

I feel ok about this tour re Pattaya. Most of it is outside the 'seedy' city area.

The "seedy" bit is known as Walking Street, & immediate surroundings.

Not been there daytime, but I suspect it's nowhere near as bad (or good :D) as in the evenings

JB :)

The "seedy" bit is known as Walking Street, & immediate surroundings.

Not been there daytime, but I suspect it's nowhere near as bad (or good :D) as in the evenings

"Walking' and ??? Street :D

Nice pics JB, thanks. (I note you were there at night!!!) Looks somewhat Las Vegas, Asian style.

No, Bob.

You're getting confused between "seedy" & "tacky" :D

(the photos from GoogleImages, I barely know how to pour my own photos from camera into computer let alone send them through the ether :o)

No, Bob.

You're getting confused between "seedy" & "tacky" :D

(the photos from GoogleImages, I barely know how to pour my own photos from camera into computer let alone send them through the ether :o)

Well said JB:D:D

One thing for adults choosing to participate in the various activities of the night, but really hard to see children exploited that way! The one girl in the picture looks to be all of about 8 years old.

One thing for adults choosing to participate in the various activities of the night, but really hard to see children exploited that way! The one girl in the picture looks to be all of about 8 years old.

Unfortunately, there's a huge market for young girls in the industry, fueled by overseas tourists who come looking specifically for these young, innocent girls.

Also, unfortunately, the large majority of these girls are "sold" by their families who live way out in the countryside and are desperate for money. They sell their girls to these people who exploit them so that their girls can send money back home.

Very sad, indeed.

We have now booked our day tour in Pattaya through Bangkok Asia Travel. Mike was very efficient in providing info and responding to emails and the small deposit by paypal was very easy to do. A group of 8 of us will be heading into Nong Nooch Gardens, Floating Market, Sanctuary of Truth with stops for beach or shopping as time permits. Thanks for the lead on this tour provider. Will report back after our experience in October.

As will will still have the next day in port until 2pm sailing, we will scout things out to do in the local vicinity for the morning.

Edited by banditoo