Oriana to Australia 1966

We sailed from Vancouverto Australia in August 1966 aboard the Oriana. The old Orient line was taken over by P&O that year.

This is a really long shot, but I'm wondering if I could get cruise credit. I came upon the TA's booking recently.

We've cruised Princess and it would be nice to be able to add these days to our credit. We'd need a P&O address I guess.

Any help from 'mature and expert' sailors would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

I sailed on Oriana twice back in the 80's and Canberra once. All of those are included in my cruise credits with P&O Australia/Princess. If you go to the P&O website and go to the SailAway centre, or Princess's Captain's Circle, log in with the number you got when you sailed with Princess (if you don't know it, give them a call) and you can add your Oriana voyage into your cruise history. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Aus Traveller,

Do you know if researchers are adding years or is the project completed? I recall that entering Australia was quick and easy so maybe extensive records weren't kept.

Ruth

I rather doubt that years are being added. I feel that a particular year has been selected and that is it. I seem to remember that 1976 is the 'magic figure', and I was rather surprised it was so long ago. I am sure there is a reason. Looking quickly I see that Carnival cruise line was set up in 1972. Maybe there is a possibility the 'magic figure' is 1972 and not 1976, but I had 1976 in my mind from somewhere. Our cruising started in the 1980s so I don't have a reason to be sure of the earliest year that is counted.

The Princess site used to allow you to add up to 3 past cruises, you just sellect the line, the ship, the date and the destination. I was able to add my 1978 & 1979 Arcadia cruises that way

I have added cruises from 1969 and 1972 this way:D

Resordanis, what documendation did you have? We sailed in 1966 and I can no longer locate the piece of paper I had. I can find nothing on line.

Ruth

I also had very little documentation as after a flood my father lost most of his old documents. I also spend many many hours searching on line but to no avail. I rang Princess and to no avail, although later I did find some photos and Princess had said this would be enough.

Just by chance one day, I was on my Princess Captains Circle page and there was space as mentioned above to add additional cruises. As I had my dates this was quite easy. Hope this helps. :D

Sandielle,

What exactly is the Sailaway Centre please?

Ruth

Hi Ruth. The Sail Away Centre is P&O Aus' site where you can add your cruise history. It has the same information as Princess Cruises' Captains' Circle "My Princess" page.

Sandy

We sailed from Vancouverto Australia in August 1966 aboard the Oriana. The old Orient line was taken over by P&O that year.

Ruth

Ruth

I remember Oriana well. I was working for the Union Company who were Orient Line's NZ representatives at the time. When the ship was in port we worked on board with the ship's staff sorting out any problems, back in the day when our records were pen and ink based.

Derek

The Princess site used to allow you to add up to 3 past cruises, you just select the line, the ship, the date and the destination. I was able to add my 1978 & 1979 Arcadia cruises that way

Peter

It still does:) I have just added my 1969 Orcades and 1985 Canberra cruises.

I owe each of you and finetuneit one. It never occurred to me to chase up on these cruises from the past.

Derek

We have great memories of that journey on the Oriana. We were just married and off to see the world. We had an inner steerage cabin with NARROW bunk beds and one of those bathroom/showers. I remember the first time I used the shower I left the towels on the toilet seat and of course they were drenched. But back in those days the cruise was cheaper than flying.

RUth

Archived