docking or tendering in Med?

bobpell

We are on the Sunshine travelling from Venice via Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Messina, Naples, Rome Livorno, Marseilles then to BCN next fall. Can anyone tell me which ports we will be tendered in?

Thanks

I have the same itinerary for my cruise and I asked the PVP when I booked- she said every port has a dock and there are no tenders! :) The only exception to that is that we have an overnight in Venice for the 1st/2nd day of the cruise. At some point that evening, the ship needs to leave the dock because it anchors a bit off shore for the night. If you have the same overnight on your itinerary, and you choose to go into Venice at night and need to get back to the ship once it leaves the dock, then you will need to take a tender. She wasn't sure of the exact time that the ship changes over to tenders, but I'm sure that information is available once you board.

I have the same itinerary for my cruise and I asked the PVP when I booked- she said every port has a dock and there are no tenders! :) The only exception to that is that we have an overnight in Venice for the 1st/2nd day of the cruise. At some point that evening, the ship needs to leave the dock because it anchors a bit off shore for the night. If you have the same overnight on your itinerary, and you choose to go into Venice at night and need to get back to the ship once it leaves the dock, then you will need to take a tender. She wasn't sure of the exact time that the ship changes over to tenders, but I'm sure that information is available once you board.

I'm not sure your PVP is accurate about the need to tender on the overnight in Venice. We didn't on our Med cruise and I don't think I've ever heard of the need to do that anywhere other than Cabo.

I did an overnight in Venice on the Crown Princess and the ship was docked the entire time in port. Not sure why a ship would have to leave port to anchor offshore?

In any event, don't miss the sail into Venice, it's an extraordinary experience seeing the canals and bridges, St Marks Square and the Bridge of Sighs either from your balcony or high deck vantage point.

I did an overnight in Venice on the Crown Princess and the ship was docked the entire time in port. Not sure why a ship would have to leave port to anchor offshore?

In any event, don't miss the sail into Venice, it's an extraordinary experience seeing the canals and bridges, St Marks Square and the Bridge of Sighs either from your balcony or high deck vantage point.

Hmmm that's weird that she made a big deal abt needing to tender in Venice but no complaints here if it's not true! She did specify that it would be after dinner time so no one would have to do embarkation with their carry on luggage via tenders. I guess I'll ask around when some of the summer itineraries come back and see if they used tenders at night.

I am definitely looking forward to our Venice sail away. We start in Venice so there's no sailing into port but the sail away will be fun. Any idea if we need port or starboard side to see the city views on sail away?

Ship will stay docked the entire time in Venice. The only ships that anchor outside are the rare time weather prevents entering the channel (bad fog, high winds).

Port side for the best views on sailaway, but you really want to be out on deck so you can see both sides. EM

Thanks essiesmom! I would have assumed it would be port side just looking at the maps and knowing the direction the ship is moving, but I wanted to be sure :). We have an inside cabin so I plan to be up on one of the outside decks to see the views!

Have a great time! We did a similar cruise in September and loved it!

We didn't tender in Monaco, Rome, Livorno, Dubrovnik, Venice or Messina. Our other ports were slightly different than yours.

You'll love it! If you 're interested, I wrote a detailed photo review of our journey which you can find in my signature below! :)

Archived