MSC- What to expect

Wrinks22

Hi,

My family is considering sailing on the MSC Divina out of Miami in December of this year. The reviews seem strangely low? The ship looks beautiful.. Why are there such bad reviews? What should we expect?

Thanks..

Hi,

My family is considering sailing on the MSC Divina out of Miami in December of this year. The reviews seem strangely low? The ship looks beautiful.. Why are there such bad reviews? What should we expect?

Thanks..

Here's one of CC's editors take on your question.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/03/15/msc-cruises-a-mystery-worth-pondering/

Hi,

Thanks..

I have been on several different cruise lines and was very nervous about cruising on MSC because of all the reviews. We cruised Splendida out of Barcelona in November and I have to say that it was the most beautiful ship I have ever been on. We LOVED everything about it! The reviews were wrong.

One thing I did notice is that so many people had posted about the Buffet in the back of the ship being "Limited"..... what those people didn't realize is that it just kept going, and going, and going, and going.... we had to keep walking to find the end of it! If all they ever saw was the first little section and thought "this is it?", then they didn't go far enough. I found this to be true with most people on the ship who complained about it, when asked "Did you keep walking?" the response was "Oh, I didn't know there was more back there!" Yes! There is tons back there. It was the most extensive Buffet I have ever seen.

We were given Complementary Water Coupons at Check-In that entitiled us to a Free Bottle of Water once a day, and the Food was Amazing!

Being an European Cruise, there were not many English Speaking People on the boat, but you won't have that same problem sailing from Miami.

It was a wonderful trip and we will definately be back. Enjoy! :D

We cruised Splendida out of Barcelona in November and I have to say that it was the most beautiful ship I have ever been on. We LOVED everything about it! The reviews were wrong.

Hi VABeach,

It's great to have a poster who actually cruised on this ship and is willing to share information.

Could you please answer these questions.

How did you like:

1. Wrap-around Promenade

2. Front open observation Deck

3. Aft open observation Deck

4. Separate aft pool area for adults

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

9. Hydropool & Thermal Suite

10. Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price

11. Afternoon tea proper service

12. Fresh juice for breakfast

13. Selection of specialty restaurants

14. Dinner in the buffet

15. Live music performances on the main stage

16. Live music performances on the small stage

17. Live music in loungers

Thanks!

Hi VABeach,

It's great to have a poster who actually cruised on this ship and is willing to share information.

How did you like:

1. Wrap-around Promenade

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

14. Dinner in the buffet

Thanks!

We cruised in November in Europe, so it was too cold for us to use the Sun Decks, but I thought they were VERY NICE.

The choices of Returants was better than what I had seen on other lines, more options to choose from.

The performances were comperable to CCL and RCI.

The ship and rooms were BEAUTIFUL and clean. We loved everything about it and can't wait to cruise on them again. Honestly, I thought there was no comparison to CCL, RCI, HAL, Costa, or NCL. I thought MSC beat them all.

It was definately a European experiance - Crew, Service, Food, other Passengers.... I liked that part.

Thank you.

I understand it was cold for sunbathing.

So please answer other questions.

How were:

1. Wrap-around Promenade

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

13. Selection of specialty restaurants - What is it and your experience please

14. Dinner in the buffet

Thanks!

Thank you.

I understand it was cold for sunbathing.

So please answer other questions.

How were:

1. Wrap-around Promenade

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

14. Dinner in the buffet

Thanks!

Sorry for the short reply, running out the door for a date with my sweety. :)

The wrap around promenade could be different on your ship, but on ours it was accessable to the lifeboats, not as good as CCL or RCI. I didn't see deck chairs out there, but that could be because it was Europe in November. (?).

They always had great selections of Hot Teas in the Buffet. I drink Hot Tea and enjoyed it greatly. We got the Soda/Juice Package, and our choices were all obviously European. I did not get any Proper Tea Service, unless you are asking about Room Service. Room Service is comparable to other cruise lines I have been on.

We did not use any Specialty Dining, the food that was included was very good. It was also very Italian.

Sports Court was Very Nice! All Sun Decks were nicer than the average bear. They didn't have Rock Climbing Walls and Skate Rinks.

All the Shows were Multi-Language, but that was in Europe. We enjoyed them, large and small.

For this cruise think: Classy, Elegant, Italian. If you like Italy, you will LOVE this cruise.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Thanks, I had already read that.

My family was some concerns:

+Extra charges on everything (eg. ice cream, entertainment, etc)

+Entertainment not in English

+Food thats not good

+bad entertainment

The ship looks amazing :o The price is great also: $944 for a balcony :D

If anyone also wants to chime in it would be very much appreciated

There are free ice cream at buffet and MDR, though the paid (reasonable price) ice cream is well worth the price.

Entertainment at the theatre is less language based, think acrobats. On board activities may not be a lot compared to other cruiselines such as Carnival or RCCL, but should be adequate.

MSC Divina also has an infinity pool and one of the more impressive teen water slide.

For family cruise, teens club is so so in the Med (partly due to dominated by Italians who preferred their own small gangs, my cruising mates only used MSC teens club there), but the mini club (3-6) is great. Their teens like the main shows more than other cruiselines (carnival, RCCL, Princess, Costa).

Though lobster (as opposedto the big king prawns in Europe sailings) is available at Gala dinner in the Caribbean and free water at MDR dinner, food is definitely not that usual US cruisers are used to. Just like you don't go to a Chinese restaurant expect to have steak and chips.

Bar staff is less sales oriented, as apparently they got paid better base wages, they may be deemed less friendly (they come to you to push sale) but actually some may find it easier to have more private times undisturbed.

MSC is not the best organized cruiseline, just have to bear with it at times.

Hi VABeach,

How did you like:

1. Wrap-around Promenade

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

14. Dinner in the buffet

Thanks!

Hi cruisetrail.

I see your still trying to prove that point! I'm just not sure what that point is?

Can you clarify one point for me please. Have you actually sailed on a MSC ship?

Hi cruisetrail.

Hi papcx,

I see your still trying to prove that point! I'm just not sure what that point is?

Can you clarify one point for me please. Have you actually sailed on a MSC ship?

The point is to get answers to elementary questions about the ship from someone "who actually cruised".

It turned out to be so difficult.

quote]

family was some concerns:

+Extra charges on everything (eg. ice cream, entertainment, etc)

+Entertainment not in English

+Food thats not good

+bad entertainment

?.

My Divina..... You start a cruise on one of the nicest ships....

You are concernd about Ice Cream? Do not eat it. Price is only 2.50 for a fresh made icecream. Use the allinclusive-packages and you have all drinks and icecream free. You drink more than you think about. But I really do not understand the other questions.

What do you like to know about the Aft-Bar. Or the front side view?

Where it is? How it looks like? It is a 330meter, 990foot ship and you need 2 days to find all the nice places to discover, so much.

Of course you charge something. Like on other ships, like in restaurants in the city. A free City-Tour? Where? Use the All-Inclusive-packages.

Port-Tours or Spa/Sauna/Massage is not free. Cigarettes, Drinks and Tours are not free.

English...you get daily english information, most spoken language is english at bars, reception, accounting. Some small evening-events are "more" italian, but will mostly translated in 5 languages..its an international ship. Entertainment and all live-music at 16 bars are free!

Food on Divina is at the moment the best i ever had on all MSC-Ships. Yes, you get no Lobster. Better use NCL or Grill-Class at Cunard. You pay "nothing" and expect a little too much i think...

Bad Entertainment. Yes, it is not the Scala of Milano. Divina had the Pharaones, the Michael Jackson and the Piratesshow last year.

It is funny stuff for a cruise trip. 40 minutes of everything to relax.

Sometimes they play "best boy, best girl, best italian" in one bar, or give

dancing lessions." but there are 16 other bars and loungest where you can go.

Check this out for 900$

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Open Air Roof A Landaulet.

6.jpg

GardenBar, Ship was completly full, Sun is shining in December, and enough seats and splace. IGOR is working at gardenbar, very good bartender.

5.jpg

look in the upper corner of the carpet....

4.jpg

Madeira, QE, we are bigger. Bad informations about service and crew from the QE-Guests we met.

No. If you have a private Dinner in the Steakhouse, or the Galaxy, you have to pay.

Therefore you get other meal, but its great. We had the discussion at the post Divina Cabin 8000.

For ex. at the evening, you have Buffet, or your 5 course menu in the restaurants.

At the dining restaurant, yes, everywhere, but it is not yet in "this second" fresh pressed. (Only outside gardenbar Deck 16)

Better you ask your waiter at the table. For a smile, he makes it....

Special drinks you have to pay for.

You have only 2, a steak house with surf an turf, steaks and filet, burger

and the galaxy with special, very special mediterian food at the best view on top pf the ship. Its not "freestyle" like NCL.

I liked it, but does it help? I would say, the ship itself s a little more than your Celebrity-Cruise. The quality of the rest depends on the price you pay. You dont get Lobster at MSC. You dont have People like Cunard Grill Class.

(sometimes better but they dont show it.) But you will have a nice cruise to tell us.

See answers below

Hi VABeach,

How did you like:

1. Wrap-around Promenade No just promenade decks, you invariably have to cut through a lounge to do a 360 degree stroll

2. Front open observation Deck on some of the ships

3. Aft open observation Deck Yes on several decks but just small aft decks. Quite nice and peaceful though

4. Separate aft pool area for adults on Fantasia class ships only

5. Serene sun deck Not entirely sure what you mean by this but there is the new deck 18 area on Fantasia class ships that has a fee, is adult only and has a fe frills.

6. Additional sun deck all have more than one sun deck area

7. Sports court yes but not all ships

8. Observation lounge the Top Sail club in Yacht Club on Fantasia class ships. The disco during the day on the others potentially as a quite indoor place with panoramic views but it's aft. The relaxation area in the aura spa at the front

9. Hydropool & Thermal Suite thermal suites, yes. Hydrofoil, depends what you mean...if you're talking about jacuzzis then yes, if you are referring to swimming pools with various water features dotted around, then no.

10. Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price No, it's just the MDR or buffet or room service included, the speciality restaurants (Fantasia and Musica classes only) are extra cost. Yacht Club has alternative included in the price

11. Afternoon tea proper service Alas no more, it's just in the buffet. They have a good selection of teas onboard. Only place you'll get it served is in the coffee shop or bars, but they annoyingly tend to just bring hot water with the teabags on the side. Italians are not great consumers of tea it would seem

12. Fresh juice for breakfast Yes but at extra cost unless you are in YC

13. Selection of specialty restaurants yes on Musica and Fantasia classes of ships. Lirica class doesn't have any

14. Dinner in the buffet Yes throughout the fleet

15. Live music performances on the main stage Not sure what you mean by this? There are some live musical performances in the theatre and live music every evening throughout the ship in the main show lounge and other bars and the atrium as well

16. Live music performances on the small stage see answer to no 15 above

17. Live music in loungers See 15

Thanks!

The point is to get answers to elementary questions about the ship from someone "who actually cruised".

Cruisetrail.

Thank you for your reply.

You didn't, however, answer my question.

Have you sailed on a MSC ship? Simple question, doesn't even need to be an elaborate answer, yes or no will suffice.

Your "elementary" questions are stacked so the answers are no for an MSC ship. Clearly for you that means MSC are an inferior product.

My view? If it sounds like a troll, good chance it's a troll!

Unless you answer the question I'm not I interested in hearing your opinions any longer.

Cruisetrail.

Thank you for your reply.

Have you sailed on a MSC ship?

No.

Your "elementary" questions are stacked so the answers are no for an MSC ship.

This is a list of amenities a modern resort cruise ship must offer.

Clearly for you that means MSC are an inferior product.

Yes, MSC is an inferior product and I have no doubt about it.

No.

This is a list of amenities a modern resort cruise ship must offer.

Thank you for a straight answer.

Your list is a list of amenities YOU think a cruise ship should offer!

You have no doubt that MSC is an inferior product, yet you haven't sailed with them. (even though your signature has MSC in) I've sailed with MSC and Costa - Ask me about them only, because I couldn't comment about any others.

I'll repeat - If it sounds like a troll, good chance it's a troll!

@AmoMondo

You are right, but he asked for the Divina, that is Fantasy Class.

And, as he said, that might be "not a modern ship"...having no walkaround 100% wrap-around..etc.

Maybe he wants to walk and not cruise. I would never decide my holiday depending on a missing promenade. I've learned something new today.

(No. I know it: It is the Cunard-Philosophy. "You don´t like our ship, your are on the wrong ship, and not the ideal passager for our line.", Statement of an employee on the question of why the aircondition was so cold.)

@riclop

Go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise. The ship will be extremely clean and beautiful and remenber food is very subjective, what is good to you is not good to others. Just enjoy.

He can´t. He shouldn´t. Cause its so inferior.

@papcx

Thank you. Same was my idea.....

No more words.

I would like to have now a list of all modern ships, for ex. build in the last 6 years, including all the upper wanted details.

I am sure i know some....starting with C.

cruising-tom, AmoMondo,

Thank you for your replies.

Most of the details of the Divina are well visible on the photos and deck plans, however some clarification was needed.

I appreciate it.

At this point with all the information I had before and your answers, and a review I am reading on the other site (from an experienced all-cruise-lines person who is able to see the core of the product behind glitzy atriua and find a way of getting good time even on the worst ships) I can summarize (with a few questions left...):

The Divina has

1. No wrap-around Promenade

2. No front open observation Deck

3. Yes - aft open observation Deck

4. Yes - aeparate aft pool area for adults

5. Serene sun deck on cruise ship is normally located on the forward part of the superstructure providing more comfortable conditions and nice views. Is this area accessible for all guests or only for Yacht Club?

6. Yes - Additional sun deck - Midships

7. Yes - Sports court

8. Observation lounge - forward looking - is it for Yacht Club guests only?

9. Hydropool - means real hydropool (like on Cunard, HAL, even on Costa ships) not a jacuzzi.

Is it available at all? If yes, is it for Yacht Club guests only or for all guests for a fee?

10. No selection of alternative dining venues included in the price.

11. No - afternoon tea proper service

12. No fresh juice for breakfast at no extra cost

13. Selection of specialty restaurants.

From what I have found out - there are two $$ venues (Sacramento and Galaxy) that are more like cafés (on the pictures) with no hint of upscale atmosphere, food or service.

Please correct me if necessary.

La Cantina di Bacco as another $ eatery but it is described like "miserable" with pizza and alcohol as typical offer.

14. Yes - dinner in the buffet (a plus over Costa)

15. Live music performances on the main stage - Do musicians perform on the main stage?

16. Live music performances on the small stage - Is there a small stage for smaller scale performances (like Queen's Lounge on HAL, Queen's Room on Cunard Vista class, Explorers Lounge on Princess, Celebrity Central on celebrity S-Class, etc. )?

17. Yes - live music in loungers as on normal cruise ships.

Another question: breakfast in Caffe Italia - is it included in the price and what is in their offer?

Is there a jogging track? Where is it?

Thank you!

Haven't you done your research, or else how could you conclude your other cruises are 10 times (day and night apart) to MSC cruise that you had never taken?

Yet you are asking what you called "elementary" questions here. If you don't have the answers, how could you make the above conclusion and claimed:

We are all different (profession, education, interests...)

So our ability of evaluating particular things depends on our level of expertise and experience in particular areas.

:)

when you have neither the knowledge or first-hand MSC experience?

btw, answer to the above is not required, I am just trying to get something off my chest, and not trying to be difficult to anyone. :cool:

Are you joking?

I did not have to go far.

This is a description of a cruise ship we have just cruised on!

Believe me, this is a real ship that sails in the Caribbean.

1. Wrap-around Promenade

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

14. Dinner in the buffet

17. Live music in lounges

The only remark is for #10.

There is a small Explorations cafe that offers light food at no cost. So technically the ship does offer #10.

However, this is a relatively small ship that does not have enough space for multiple free dining venues.

But the buffet is so good that it well worth all alternatives on other ships.

Haven't you done your research, or else how could you conclude your other cruises are 10 times (day and night apart) to MSC cruise that you had never taken?

Yet you are asking what you called "elementary" questions here. If you don't have the answers, how could you make the above conclusion and claimed:

Hi sthelder,

You probably have missed something in the discussion.:)

I am not asking those questions.

I wonder why people that "actually cruised" have difficulty answering those questions.

I have no questions about MSC Poesia (thread you quoted).

I have asked for clarification on some features of the Divina (a more complex ship).

Are you joking?

I did not have to go far.

This is a description of a cruise ship we have just cruised on!

Believe me, this is a real ship that sails in the Caribbean.

1. Wrap-around Promenade

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

14. Dinner in the buffet

17. Live music in lounges

The only remark is for #10.

There is a small Explorations cafe that offers light food at no cost. So technically the ship does offer #10.

However, this is a relatively small ship that does not have enough space for multiple free dining venues.

But the buffet is so good that it well worth all alternatives on other ships.

Hi sthelder,

You probably have missed something in the discussion.:)

I am not asking those questions.

I wonder why people that "actually cruised" have difficulty answering those questions.

I have no questions about MSC Poesia (thread you quoted).

I have asked for clarification on some features of the Divina (a more complex ship).

Cruisetrail.

Maybe something is being lost in translation. You keep saying you just want some answers about MSC ships yet you seem to be just rubbishing MSC here and on other threads.

I'll say it a 3rd time. If it sounds like a troll, it's likely to be a troll.

I'm no longer interested in your opinion and won't respond any further.

You have no doubt that MSC is an inferior product, yet you haven't sailed with them. (even though your signature has MSC in) I've sailed with MSC and Costa - Ask me about them only, because I couldn't comment about any others.

I'll repeat - If it sounds like a troll, good chance it's a troll!

Wow. Thanks for the info. I came back to refute all the negative reviews I had read prior to sailing. I had an AMAZING time on MSC. If others want to stay in the dark.... their loss. So..... maybe I won't mention the Yacht Club. :rolleyes:

Archived