MSC- What to expect

Wrinks22

I agree. Stop feeding the troll!

No,

my new friend Cruisetrail.

that no one can say, i am not fair.

(i am german-swiss, but not diplomatic)

Here are same last answers, and, as you say, analysis.

Your list is full of senseless, pointless things, that apply to one ship or a company you like. Maybe two. No more. Why? Let me argue:

One can not compare the value, quality, recreation of a cruise-holiday by the Spae ratio - value.

Anyone who reads only brochures, books and lists will never be able to make personal experiences.

Here are a few arguments to your mistakes and faults in your list:

The design of a ships-promenade, proper promenade decks. Your photo.

So the deck 7, yes. I think Titanic had a proper promenade deck, you know what happend.

This deck was built by shipbuilders. I like Mercedes Landaulet: But he's the big star in the front grille.

1401.jpg

Like a truck. Therefore, it is a bad product? Therefore all Mercedes are bad? This is the way your argument works, and that insecures all new travelers. Especially the young and families. Not been on many ships.

A "corner balconies" immediately under the bridge - are they accessible

The answer is yes.

Why? Because i was also in the cabin 10007 in december on DIVINA.

And this cabin has two very big mistakes, i would never book. Why? Don´t you know? Is that in your book / list? No. You need the experience off someone that is willing to help.

You completed your basic list wrong!

Aft pool for adults
. WRONG: On Fantasy Class, yes, on Divina, no.

It is accessible for everyone, even children, No Plate in december.

Who knows? Someone being on the ship in reality!

Overcrowded:
Look at my picture.

Buffet food overall - miserable
. Sorry, i had one of the best lambcurry there. The roastbeaf was good. I've gained 8 pounds! You have to go 10 meters further, where there is more than French fries.

No jogging track
Of Course it has, Deck 15 (look in the deckplan)

1400.jpg

So-so "thermal suite" in spa

No. It hast two very clean turkish bath. Do you know the difference?

You compare apples and oranges. That makes in reality only a fruit salad. But no help for anyone.

You did the same with HAL and Costa. That is like a Champagne-Limousin-Trip and a cab.

Price 12 days HAL june2013 med. ; 3600$ Indoorcabin: Costa, june: 1000 $ Indoor. What can you expect for 1000$ for a couple. Daily Lobster? If i pay 3000$ i expect much more better quality. I demand it even!

But for 500 each i only want a taxi to some ports. And suddenly..the days on the ship are great...What about younger cruiser that cannot pay 3000$? When they like fast food. Is it a bad, inferior product for them?

Your arguments are wrong and useless here.

My new friend, you seem to be a good shipspotter, but for me you have no idea about what cruising, being on the waves, means.

What would happen to your analysis, if MSC buys one day a HAL ship? Suddenly MSC is no longer the bay guy?

Hi Tom ... As you can see from our ship list below we will be on the Divina later this year, being a member of cruisedeckplans.com i have access like all members to deckplans for all the ship listed on their website, i have used these on at least 6 occasions to choose our cabins.

One of those being on the Queen Victoria where i noticed the only 2 Double Balconies on the ship on the Port side at the aft end, the cabin was a decent size but had a double length balcony as did the one next to it. This anomoly by the ship builders was caused by inserting a crew staircase where there would normally have been 2 more cabins.

Now back to the Divina, thanks to pictures posted by other MSC enthusiasts we found out that the boat/promenade deck will not be usuable for sitting in the sun in the late afternoons as we have done on other ships, that for us is no big issue but feel that MSC have missed out here by not having the lifeboats higher up as on other ships we have been on.

That is not a criticism of MSC but more of an observation, who cares if a ship has no wrap around promenade? after all a day on a cruise is better than any day at work .... :D

1. Wrap-around Promenade

2. Front open observation Deck

3. Aft open observation Deck

4. Separate aft pool area for adults

5. Serene sun deck

6. Additional sun deck

7. Sports court

8. Observation lounge

I don't use any of these because I prefer my Balcony. It's quiet, and it's mine.

9. Hydropool & Thermal Suite

I live at the Beach. I don't use these either.

10. Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price

11. Afternoon tea proper service

12. Fresh juice for breakfast

13. Selection of specialty restaurants

14. Dinner in the buffet

The food was fantastic. The selection was diverse.

15. Live music performances on the main stage

16. Live music performances on the small stage

17. Live music in lounges

Fair, but enjoyable. I don't go to shows every night anymore. At some point, they all start looking the same.

Here are a few arguments to your mistakes and faults in your list:

So the deck 7, yes. I think Titanic had a proper promenade deck, you know what happend.

This deck was built by shipbuilders. I like Mercedes Landaulet: But he's the big star in the front grille.

Like a truck. Therefore, it is a bad product? Therefore all Mercedes are bad? This is the way your argument works, and that insecures all new travelers. Especially the young and families. Not been on many ships.

What are you talking about?

I am talking about ships.

This is common sense.

Please show these photos to 100 people in the street and ask what they prefer:

dyu16u.jpg

The answer is yes.

Why? Because i was also in the cabin 10007 in december on DIVINA.

And this cabin has two very big mistakes, i would never book. Why? Don´t you know? Is that in your book / list? No. You need the experience off someone that is willing to help.

You completed your basic list wrong!

?

I am not going to book a cabin there.

My question was about "balconies" on deck 12 (marked with X)

They seem to be accessible from the hallway.

No?

o884xz.jpg

WRONG: On Fantasy Class, yes, on Divina, no.

It is accessible for everyone, even children, No Plate in december.

Who knows? Someone being on the ship in reality!

Who is wrong?

In post #26 you said Yes.

Now you say No.

Yes or No?

. Sorry, i had one of the best lambcurry there. The roastbeaf was good. I've gained 8 pounds! You have to go 10 meters further, where there is more than French fries.

"From the various sources (including first hand experiences from some real-life cruise mates) and photo evidences" the food in the buffet is miserable.

Your mileage may vary.

Of Course it has (jogging track), Deck 15 (look in the deckplan)

No, it's fake.

In fact, this is just a lateral passage on the sun deck packed with loungers.

Those who actually cruised must know that.

257jd01.jpg

No. It hast two very clean turkish bath. Do you know the difference?

Please note the difference between Thermal Suite and "thermal suite"...

Thermal Suite on a cruise ship:

2u8ctw6.jpg

52lusn.jpg

Prices

MSC Divina

Ports of Call: Miami, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Great Stirrup Cay, Miami (3 ports)

Departure date: Nov 23 2013

Inside $594

Balcony $729

ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Ports of Call: Fort Lauderdale, Grand Turk, San Juan/Puerto Rico, St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale (4 ports)

Departure dates: Nov 24 2013

Inside $599

Balcony $949

Your arguments are wrong and useless here.

My new friend, you seem to be a good shipspotter, but for me you have no idea about what cruising, being on the waves, means.

Who knows...

Cruise Critic Guidelines:

"If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards."

I don't foresee myself (if travelling with my family only) ever go on a HAL cruise in the next 25 years...not because of their ship design or their style is wrong (in fact, they are probably one of the best to a certain customer segment). It's more of my personal choice as they are out of my reach (age wise ;)).

I could not understand how pictures or cruisemate experiences could be influential in reaching a conclusion that the buffet food someone who never tried himself is miserable. I have cruisemates from different countries, and our tastes are all different, good thing we always go with an open mind.

Food plating for MDR food may not be MSC's forte (personally found that other than in Milan, Italians generally don't care much about food presentation), but buffet is buffet...

Anyway, this topic should be closed. No point feeding.

ArnoMondo and Cruising Tom, thank you for your answers. I am so haopy to hear that we can get good coffee all over the ship, because my husband and I drink about three a day! That is one thing MSC has over Celebrity, which only had one location that served proper coffee.

I will call msc and see if they have any disembarkation excursions in Genoa. That is a good suggestion.

So, back to the dress code, is casual night REaLLy casual? Do people wear jeans? I have never worn jeans to dinner on a cruise ship before! "Back in the day" when Celebrity and Royal had three levels of dress, it was

2 formal nights, with tuxes or dark suits for men, long gowns or sometimes cocktail dresses for ladies.

2 "informal" nights with jacket and tie for men, cocktail dresses for ladies.

3 casual nights with a collared shirt (polo shirt ok) and pants for men (no jeans or shorts) and skirt or trousers and nice top for ladies.

Is that pretty much what we are looking at on Preziosa?

On casual nights on Poesia I worse on some occasions jeans and a shirt or T shirt ie casual, on Informal nights i wore trousers and a shirt as did the Majority of Diners, on Gala nights i wore a dark suit with shirt and Tie.

most women wore trousers and a top on casual nights, Dresses on Informal nights, and Long/Cocktail dresses on Gala nights

I cannot recall seeing anyone wearing shorts in the MDR in the evening but recall seeing people on the NCL Jade with them on and even Baseball caps on a few occasions.

Hope this helps.

ArnoMondo and Cruising Tom, thank you for your answers. I am so haopy to hear that we can get good coffee all over the ship, because my husband and I drink about three a day!

Only 3 ? ;)

So, back to the dress code, is casual night REaLLy casual? Do people wear jeans? I have never worn jeans to dinner on a cruise ship before!

Well, we also do not wear jeans. Maybe black ones. I wear suit every evening. (little english education;)) But you can, and a lot of people wear it. Think, you can, for ex., go to the buffet. Why wearing a tie at the buffet? Do it leger, in jeans and t-shirt, if you like. Relax. But if you go to the MDR, or in one of the special restaurants, you should wear better clothers, i think. Depends on your personal taste.

"Back in the day" when Celebrity and Royal had three levels of dress, it was

2 formal nights, with tuxes or dark suits for men, long gowns or sometimes cocktail dresses for ladies.

Should be like this. At MSC you have a rate between 50 - 80% doing that.

2 "informal" nights with jacket and tie for men, cocktail dresses for ladies.

This is what i expect too...but...50 - 80% doing that. It is called "elegant." The elegant evening is the night, the captain is introduced...some shake hands with jeans and shirt, making photos. They are happy with it. I would be ashamed.

3 casual nights with a collared shirt (polo shirt ok) and pants for men (no jeans or shorts) and skirt or trousers and nice top for ladies.

You will see, you have people in nice costumes, others wear their home-jogging-dress. (first cruisers, poor people..look, italiens pay 300 per week, but have no tuxedo....)they make cheap holiday with childrens and don´t care about that what we think about cruising.

You have a good setting for clothes. Go ahead and keep cool.

I will call msc and see if they have any disembarkation excursions in Genoa. That is a good suggestion.

They do. Last Sept on the Poesia, disembarkation excursions were available, dropping you off at the airport.

@cruisetrail

Your words had been, as being one part of your list: a ship without w-a-p, that looks nice on your pictures,

is not a real cruise-ship, is bad, or inferior. You declare the whole product bad and not suitable for you. For you.

For others, as you see, it is not important in their holiday. Is it so difficult to explain in my poor english?

I had enough space and promenades to walk so much that I felt the feet hurt.

The deck 12 cabins you have found are not public. Special rooms.

But you can be sure, it is possible, to make photos forward.

Not accessing this place does not make the product MSC bad! It is only part of the design.

You can say the designer is crazy or the management which bought the ship.

But it does not make the ship or the product inferior.

There are a lot of places on other ships your are not accessable to.

The jogging track is well used during med cruises.

The picture can be done in hot caribean at 13pm. Who is jogging then?

I don´t know. I saw them running. Lots of them.

I took the prices here from europe. (You know, it is called "Holland..." :))For european standard HAL is expensive.

I admire all the people who can enter in Miami a boat every day .

But Caribbean travel, or the U.S. market, is completely different than Europe.

You lucky ones! Great prices. I should emigrate.

With these shown prices I would also book a HAL ship. And MSC. Just because it is different.

But not in general bad. I´ve been on HAL and not everything i liked. I also agree,

that not everything is 100% at MSC. Where you (and me and others) get the 100%?

The pictures of the SPA are nice, but, what about people not using Sauna/Spa.

Your mileage may vary.

Of course it does. Things change every day. Thats life.

MSC has changed a lot in the last years and lots of things got better, as i can see at every cruise.

It changes with every crew, with every waiter or steward. On every ship.

If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person.

You give me very clearly the feeling, that you generalize with wrong examples.

I think, you prevent, with your examples, new or young travelers and families with children

not even to try MSC, because you sort it in a class it does not belong to, only because of

your examples. Like my mercedes.

Like....climbing wall at NCL. Do i need. No. Do i like? No. Ok. Ship is bad. Line is bad.

Others like to climb. Best ship ever... ... wrong arguments.

There is no climbing wall on QE. Is Cunard now better or worse? You cannot compare this way.

If i have the chance to book a massive better quality/design/food/ for the same price,

the choice is clear. Of course. We all would try the best.

But (for my impression) it´s wrong to take a personal list to assert that msc is a in general an inferior product. It isnt.

Who knows...

Its just a feeling. Not a personal attack. If so, I apologize.

Archived