Princess News

Shogun

I read books on my iPad, so if I'm somewhere on the ship reading my iPad will be with me. In the evening in my cabin after my husband has gone to sleep, I'm online catching up. My friends joke that they are going to bury me with my iPhone in my hand. I'm a texter not a talker so I don't talk loudly and disturb people. I love being connected, because I can keep up with family and friends and with what's going on in their lives without having to pick up a phone and talk to anyone. I guess we're all different.

Hi All

Are the days of the Patter numbered, will there be a paperless

cruise in a few years.

yours Shogun

I hope not, reading the next days Patter when I get into bed at night is part of being on a cruise to me. I love being phone and ipad free when I am on holiday.

I feel a bit disappointed in the announcement of 20 things, experienced most of it already on Celebrity, the one thing they didn't copy was the free drink as you board which I think is a nice Celebrity extra.

Shogun,

I guess the Patter-less cruise could easily be implemented now.

Many tradeshows don't use paper for directories or maps, using electronic info points instead. These could be scattered through the ship, whereas in the cabin, the Patter would be part of an interactive TV service and also be available for download as an 'app'.

All possible now - just needs vision and some $$$. Think of the saving in paper, PLUS you could take home the patters for a zero kg (lb) penalty in the luggage!

For one thing, my husband and I would be extremely disappointed if they got rid of the Patters. We love looking at them the night before and taking them into port with us. And we do not want to have to bring our phones along with us. We also like regular paper maps to plan our travels. BTW, we are in our lower 50's.

If they stop the patter, I will be dissapointed. I use them for scrapbooking too. But Yes I'm old fashioned. Love the rest of the news especially the interactive TV. I know with other cruise companies, you can pull up your bill right in your cabin. That would be very nice. Sometimes technology comes at us at the speed of lightening and it is hard to keep up. I will soon be getting a kindle as I love them. Rarely use a cell phone and don't understand why anyone would text instead of calling them. It's sad when you go to a restaurant and see everyone looking at their electronic device and not talking to each other. But welcome to the new world, except I like much of the old world better.

Agree with this. On a large ship with a lot going on, use of the Patter is a bit outdated and can't tell you what is going on in real time. With an onboard app, (if they use it this way), you could be notified in real time what the approximate wait(s) are at the Anytime Dining locations; how many minutes until the next show starts; what the seating situation looks like; when the Zumba class is going to start; and on and on and on. All with real time type "tweets" broadcast to everyone. Real time info on a cruise ship could serve both the passenger and the cruise line very well. "Three spots left for the Super Tuscan wine tasting starting in 6 minutes. Hurry and grab your spot now!" It's a win-win.

We review and mark up our Patter for events of interest to us, then fold it and stick it in my back pocket for reference as we wander about.

The idea of information points won't highlight what we've decided to do, and my Kindle won't survive a day in my back pocket, even if it fit. :rolleyes:

We go on a cruise to cut down the noise level of online messaging etc.

Now if they go paperless and stop wasting paper on spa ads and art show ads (yes we know they have one, so stop telling us) that would be an ecological improvement. But could you imagine the "tweets" we would get all day from the spa alone? :eek:

I think paperless patters will be a long time coming. First, not everyone carries a smart phone. Second, the bandwidth required to send out patters to every one on demand would be a bit much from a slow system-even one that was an onboard lan. Second, there would be no real opportunity for ads as they now run in the patters. Fourth, too many people like the paper-as Times prince says, people carry them around, mark them up and otherwise keep them for many other things. Finally, I read a lot of books on my kindle. However, converting the patters to kindle format would be a pain in the neck to do and to read. Lists and tables don't go well with kindles and essentially, the patters are a bunch of tables-with other content.

I love reading books on my Kindle-I hate reading tables on it....

I am all in favor of a "paperless" cruise. An app on a wireless device could be much more usefull if done properly. For those that either do not have a smart device or simply choose to to use one while on vacation, I'm sure Princess will continue to make the old systems available. As to the speed issue, the slowness people experience onboard is due to the satellite connection to the internet. The wifi speed onboard will be sufficient to handle the local onboard traffic.

On our recent cruise (just got off the Crown on March 9th), I even suggested such a system to the Internet Cafe staff, who thought it was an excellent idea.

I just hope they decide to roll this out to the other ships in relatively quick order. They could do this without any sort of drydock.

The "paperless office" has been predicted for decades but I haven't seen one business of any kind that is paperless. It won't happen nor will Princess be "Patter-less." Many people don't have smart phones and many never turn on the TV on a cruise. Even hotels give you the option of checking services on the TV, a booklet left on a desk in the room or calling the Front Desk or Concierge.

The intranet will be another way of accessing information, not replacing it.

So the "twenty things" is not the big secret then?

Princess posted on Facebook that the announcement of the ship's Godmother will come next week. Maybe that's the big news - but does that mean that the one they used during the float out (sorry I don't remember her name, but if she was symbolic, they did use her) lost her job?

The "paperless office" has been predicted for decades but I haven't seen one business of any kind that is paperless. It won't happen nor will Princess be "Patter-less." Many people don't have smart phones and many never turn on the TV on a cruise. Even hotels give you the option of checking services on the TV, a booklet left on a desk in the room or calling the Front Desk or Concierge.

Having recently refinanced the loans on two houses, I can affirm we are far from a paperless office.

Hi All

Are the days of the Patter numbered, will there be a paperless

cruise in a few years.

yours Shogun

I like the Patter - but if they get rid of it, PLEASE have it posted on the tv in the rooms. Not all of us use I-phones, Blackberries, whatever. We have cell-phones, but very basic service and don't access internet thru our phones ($5.00 per month versus $100 per month, it's a no-brainer).

Paperless if great - I throw away most of the papers we get on a cruise, but Princess needs to step up and post information on the TV channel in the cabins.

Princess posted on Facebook that the announcement of the ship's Godmother will come next week. Maybe that's the big news - but does that mean that the one they used during the float out (sorry I don't remember her name, but if she was symbolic, they did use her) lost her job?
Victoria Nash was the godmother for the float out last August. Does Princess plan on having more than one godmother?

Having been on the commissioning crews of two destroyers when I was in the Navy and witnessing the christening and commissioning of submarines when I worked at a Naval shipyard, my memory was that the christening was done when the ship slid down the building ways at the first time entering the water preceded by a dignitary/sponsor breaking a bottle of champagne on the hull, hopefully at the first attempt.

Commissioning was a ceremony that placed the ship in service. It seemed the sponsor gave the order that finalized the ceremony. I suppose they could have been different persons.

I agree Pam. I believe that it would simply be another option over the paper Patter.

When I'm on vacation, the laptop stays at home and we ignore all possible 'access' to the 'net. Like many others, I do not own a smartphone (and I'm in my 40s). Besides, how would one remove the hilighter markings off the phone / tv screen. ;)

Welll, this sort of let's me out since I am from the "Dark Ages" and although I use my computer at home to access all sorts of info, and have a cell phone to use for emergency, I do not have a personal mobile or tablet device and I am sure that there are a number of others out there that are the same as me............I don't need to have a phone or tablet in my face all the time or a roach clip in my ear or earphones and talking in a loud voice in the grocery store or mall or on the balcony next to mine that is really rather disruptive to me. Will I not go on the Royal? I enjoy my privacy and quiet times and will most likely enjoy the Royal as I enjoyed the original Royal, having been on her a number of times. I cruise to get away and enjoy, not stay in touch with everyone but I guess times have changed and I am sure that I will miss out on what's happening but maybe I don't care or need to be informed about everything every minute. That's just my speaking.........

Just a thought as I do not have an iPhone are any of the other devices such as a tablet. Why not put kiosks around the ship for real time happenings on the ship? I will have to survive using good old fashioned paper Patter. However I wouldn't mind walking through the ship and finding out what was happening on that level.:)

I'm another one who doesn't want to be tied to a phone all day. I actually dislike talking on phones; if I can communicate via email, that's what I try to do. I did see some people using tablets to take photos and it did seem a bit awkward to me as opposed to using a digital camera. In fact, even though I can send a photo taken with my camera via Instragram, it's doesn't always go through even if the 4G seems to be working (plus the camera on my smart phone doesn't zoom, and on my dumb phone, it's not a great zoom).

Before my last cruise, I did look up how to put the phones into airplane mode, but I discovered that both of them defaulted to regular mode if I turn on the phone (and I wanted to save on the batteries so I wanted the phones off until we were nearing the ports). So the phones didn't go back on until I knew we were docked. (was using the dumb phone for calling for taxis, and was instragraming photos of the port with the smart one).

I just don't want to be futzing with having to use phones, tablets (unless someone wants to gift me with a nice one), etc. just to find out what activities are going on. Much prefer the paper Patters as I can instantly find what I need. On the TV, it would be a pain for some people, IMO. I did see that on the behemoths of the sea that RC has, there are kiosks for checking on how occupied entertainment and dining venues are -- so that would be nice if there are kiosks all around the ship (even if there's an app, not everyone has those electronic devices or want to lug theirs around on the ship -- especially if they're going by the pool).

Okay' date=' #15 Facial Recognition. This was something I put on my post-cruise survey. I'm guessing many have also asked for this over the past few years. Which shows that Princess is listening, somewhat. But geez....they waited to announce this at a show when a more juicier tidbit would be the godmother announcement.[/quote']

On X Solstice class ships you can see all your pictures in your room on the TV as well as your on board expenses and call up the Room service menu and order over the TV.

With regard to the intranet and ships tours, who is going to pay our data charges? We are told to turn off our data roaming on our iphones on the ship as it is possible to run up enormous accounts. Our phones will carry on updating things like email etc on 3g when the data is not turned off. The ships internet costs a fortune, so how exactly will this all work without us ending up with huge charges?

I really love the idea, but no way would I pay what could end up being £1000 or more for this service just because I have allowed data roaming and 3g.

On X Solstice class ships you can sign out an ipad to take the tour.

All of the announcements are and enhancement of the cruise experience. Innovative for Princess but not as cutting edge as could be expected. Considering Solstice builds are around 5 years old now.

Nothing earth shattering but definitely nice.

I would be far more interested in trying the pizzeria over the crepes on X

Cell phones, emails , messages are exactly some of the things I go on a cruise to Escape completely from !!! Do not tie me to an electronic gadget that I have to charge and carry. I do not want to have to get up and go check a screen that, in addition, will not have a mark next to what I want to do. I will not carry a screen ashore to have the time to be back onboard with me and the info about the port officer to report to if I miss ship ( hopefully forever useless info, the one about missing the ship).

Getting the Patter is a nice moment of the day, like mail from a friend announcing good news. Is is a nice tradition, and traditions can be a good thing. I agree that the amount of junk mail can be reduced, at the end of the cruise the Patter is a very very very small portion of all the paper that is put in your " mailbox". Reduce the rest but keep the Patter please. Let's start a Save the Patter movement !

True, but that choice will greatly reduce our use of paper. I love it when I can check my folio on the TV or check out of a hotel on the TV and just walk out the door. It saves paper and my time.

Cell phones, emails , messages are exactly some of the things I go on a cruise to Escape completely from !!! Do not tie me to an electronic gadget that I have to charge and carry. I do not want to have to get up and go check a screen that, in addition, will not have a mark next to what I want to do. I will not carry a screen ashore to have the time to be back onboard with me and the info about the port officer to report to if I miss ship ( hopefully forever useless info, the one about missing the ship).

Getting the Patter is a nice moment of the day, like mail from a friend announcing good news. Is is a nice tradition, and traditions can be a good thing. I agree that the amount of junk mail can be reduced, at the end of the cruise the Patter is a very very very small portion of all the paper that is put in your " mailbox". Reduce the rest but keep the Patter please. Let's start a Save the Patter movement !

You bring up a great point about having the Patters available: it has the info about when to get back on the ship and the port agent info. To me, having my photo ID, cabin card, and the Patters are the three items I need to have with me in port. I really don't want to trust being able to access the info on my phone and I can't see Princess requiring people to have cell phones.

Looking at the press release again, I can see the tea item being of interest to my daughter. Many of the items do seem to be related to alcohol so would be of little interest to those of us who rarely drink or don't drink at all. I'm guessing these would be ways of gaining more secondary onboard revenue.

They could just move to printing half of what they currently do and having them available at the passenger services desk. Saves on delivery and those that want them electronically can do so. It doesn't fit their demographic to get rid of all paper copies.

Archived