Renting Car in Warnemunde

I understand what you have been going through trying to find out where the car rental agencies closest to the dock in Warnemunde are since we just returned from a May cruise and I went through the same thing beforehand. Avis denied having one there until I insisted previous cruisers had picked up their cars right off the ship. If I recall correctly they made further inquiries and found that small branch is only open in summer for the cruise ship passengers, but not until June. So we made arrangements with their Rostock office to send someone with the van to pick us up at the dock. Avis told me the agent would be wearing a red jacket but noone fitting that description appeared. After awhile we asked a Celebrity shore excursion bus driver who pointed out a man in a navy blazer who indeed was our Avis man. His English wasn't too good and he never explained how the transmission in our van worked so we had an interesting beginning to our tour of Schwerin, Lubeck, and Wismar (our favorite of the 3 even though we only were able to tour around the main Markplatz). Really enjoyed our day but found out later Rostock has the best preserved church (14th century, I believe) and we didn't go there. Warnemunde with its promenade along the canal and the surprise of the large white beach at the end, was completely charming.

We booked a Hertz car to be picked up in Rostock, but were able to get it right at the pier in Warnemunde. The Hertz guy called the Rostock office and took care of it. You have to tell him what time you plan to return the car (8 pm?) so can be there.

Archived