Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

I also completely agree the new dress code, as currently stated, is unlikely to attract anyone who does not like dressing up. I don't think the ships are likely to be overrun by the shell-suited, hoody wearing, trainer shod hordes quite yet.

J

Yup, a quick read of the code indicates that it's now more formal than previously, with ladies wearing formal for 4 nights and cocktail dress for 10 nights on a 14 nighter.

If I wasn't still confidently expecting my Q1 cabin/stateroom/suite, I'd cancel my voyage/cruise/trip on the ship/liner/boat. Any luck at your end?

Mary:D

Here we go,

Cunard begins the slide into Carnival-esqe informality... I wonder if we can expect them start referring to the "voyages" as trips, the "staterooms" as cabins and the majestic "liners" as mere boats to attract the masses... :(

I would be entirely happy if they did refer to the staterooms as cabins - the current trend seems to be to call them simply "rooms". That's bad enough but when people start saying I've got a room on the 7th floor, you know that the end is nigh. :eek:

J

...If I wasn't still confidently expecting my Q1 cabin/stateroom/suite, I'd cancel my voyage/cruise/trip on the ship/liner/boat. Any luck at your end?

Mary:D

Nothing so far, but I am entirely happy to leave the business in Sir Peter's immensely capable hands. I just know that he will spring a wonderful surprise on us when we get to the checkin desk! :D

J

Nothing so far, but I am entirely happy to leave the business in Sir Peter's immensely capable hands. I just know that he will spring a wonderful surprise on us when we get to the checkin desk! :D

J

How did you know?

I have previewed your 'surprise'

dirty-dishes.jpg

What do you mean by "it may be the last for a while"?

I'm just thinking that this time around the excitement isn't there. Even on these forums, no roll call. Bookings still freely available. etc etc. just a feeling.

J

I usually find the wonderful surprises at the checkout!

I see standards have already slipped. From Cunard's website, two men not wearing jackets in the Verandah.

QE-Verandah-Restaurant-6466.jpg

One has a vest & both have ties, so I'm not upset. Still looks pretty good. A couple of times when I got too much sun in the Caribbean, I took the coat off & put it around the chair.(yes! my God, it actually was me!!) and I'm pretty strict on the dresscodes.

And what is that emerging from the lady in red's head?:eek:

Sir Martin

I thought Princess Beatrice was told to change milliners!

Does anyone else think that photo looks like it comes from the '50's! :eek:

Here we go,

Cunard begins the slide into Carnival-esqe informality... I wonder if we can expect them start referring to the "voyages" as trips, the "staterooms" as cabins and the majestic "liners" as mere boats to attract the masses... :(

I can't imagine what 'masses' would be attracted by the scene in that photo:eek:

I see standards have already slipped. From Cunard's website, two men not wearing jackets in the Verandah.

QE-Verandah-Restaurant-6466.jpg

:D I am guessing this is a library picture that Cunard use to highlight a particular location but it does demonstrate my point when polo shirts are deemed acceptable on some evenings whilst at sea. Yes the code dictates jackets will be worn but as we all know folks can take off their jacket and then here we are in polo or what I call sweat shirt!! I don't care what is worn on a Silverseas Cruise or Seabourn, my concern is with Cunard. I accept that in theory there is not a 'dumping down' but what will the reality be when sweatshirts\polo shirts are allowed to be worn under jackets. Will the Maitre d'hotel insist that jackets will be worn?? I personally believe there are times when it might be more comfortable to remove our jackets but a sweat shirt to me has a time and has a place.

Good. Well done Cunard, a step in the right direction. I've done 4 TAs on the QM2 and the Hyacinth Bucketness over the clothes other people wear on board is not a Cunard selling point to me. I don't care, and it's none of my business, how other people dress themselves, if someone wants to wear a tux to breakfast, go for it... none of my business.

I expect the crew to dress formally, they are at work.

I have ~50 years of cruising time left, Cunard know what's coming after the stuffed shirts are gone, and they're adjusting accordingly.

Good. Well done Cunard, a step in the right direction. I've done 4 TAs on the QM2 and the Hyacinth Bucketness over the clothes other people wear on board is not a Cunard selling point to me. I don't care, and it's none of my business, how other people dress themselves, if someone wants to wear a tux to breakfast, go for it... none of my business.

I expect the crew to dress formally, they are at work.

I have ~50 years of cruising time left, Cunard know what's coming after the stuffed shirts are gone, and they're adjusting accordingly.

Why is it, I wonder, that people who pride themselves in being open minded are so often judgmental of others? Heaven save us from Hyacinth, be her shirts stuffed or unstuffed!

Why is it, I wonder, that people who pride themselves in being open minded are so often judgmental of others? Heaven save us from Hyacinth, be her shirts stuffed or unstuffed!

Quite. I'm sure there were howls of protest when White Star/Cunard allowed women/children/Jews/blacks/bare lady's ankles/business suits in the dining room.

Seat me with interesting people wearing polo shirts, not boars/bores in tuxedos. It is the person that is interesting. Thank you.

Archived