where to stay between Anchorage and Whittier

jcmh

So after a 3 day trip to Denali we were going to go back to Anchorage for one night(7/31) and then to Seward for one night(8/1) and over to Whittier, staying the night of 8/2 to catch our cruise on the 8/3. We are doing the Prince William Sound tour the day of departure. We are rethinking this plan. With 2 long days of driving to and from Denali, we might want to kick back in Anchorage for a day or start heading toward Whittier and spend the night somewhere on the way. Since we are taking the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier, Seward is a longer drive and backtracking.

So after all of that thinking outloud :)...would you spend an extra night in Anchorage and do some things around there or head late morning down to the Girdwood area and spend the night there? Or is there another place between Anchorage and Whittier you'd recommend staying as base to do some things?

Thanks

You are talking about short distances, which really aren't worth much effort. :) They are only 1 1/4 hours apart. Girdwood would be an area to consider, but an option to also consider would be to stay in Wasilla/Palmer instead of Anchorage and enjoy some day touring of this area, since you have the time. Plenty of very interesting places. Determine what you are going to do in your chosen area perhaps?

I would suggest you consider organizing the time better by going direct Seward to Whittier. With only one night there- you have "travel" planned on each side, be certain, any tours of interest fit. Taking the Alaska RR then a taxi, makes great use of time with no backtracking to Anchorage.

You do not mention how you are traveling- specific recommendations may be available.

We have rented a car and are returning it in Whittier. We are traveling with another couple. The Wasilla/Palmer suggestion is one we hadn't considered, but will take a look at.

Thanks

It is only 38.4 miles according to Google Maps from Anchorage to Girdwood. I do not see what you accomplish by changing lodging.

Also, Anchorage one night, Seward one night and Whittier one night is way too much driving and not enough seeing in my opinion.

DON

I would spend more than half a day in Anchorage. By the time you get back from Denali you won't have much time there. There are plenty of wonderful things - museums, Native Heritage Center, wide variety of shops and restaurants and many other things to do and see in Anchorage. Mat-Su (Palmer & Wasilla) has a glacier, beautiful mountains, some small shops, Iditarod Museum, musk ox farm, etc. My preference would be Anchorage but its your choice.

Driving down to Seward will take you about 2 1/2 hr ( summer traffic) to get there. It is a nice place to visit and a quaint town.

If you are coming to Alaska and not stopping in Anchorage I think you are missing a great town!

You'll have a great time. Remember it won't get dark until about 10 -10:30 pm the end of July so you have more daylight to do many things !!!

It is only 38.4 miles according to Google Maps from Anchorage to Girdwood. I do not see what you accomplish by changing lodging.

Also, Anchorage one night, Seward one night and Whittier one night is way too much driving and not enough seeing in my opinion.

DON

If they went in that order, a 2 night stay in Seward would be a far better use of time. It would then be simple to leave at 8/9am, get through the 11:30am tunnel and on to a Prince William Sound boat tour. If not interested in the boat tour, they would have another morning in Seward for touring.

So after a 3 day trip to Denali we were going to go back to Anchorage for one night(7/31) and then to Seward for one night(8/1) and over to Whittier, staying the night of 8/2 to catch our cruise on the 8/3. We are doing the Prince William Sound tour the day of departure. We are rethinking this plan. With 2 long days of driving to and from Denali, we might want to kick back in Anchorage for a day or start heading toward Whittier and spend the night somewhere on the way. Since we are taking the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier, Seward is a longer drive and backtracking.

I don't think the drive from Denali to Anchorage is sooo long; 5 hrs plus stops. But then again, I like to drive, especially when I'm on vacation, seeing new places.

Was there a specific reason for visiting Seward? If Seward is a priority, go for it! It's only 2 1/2 hrs from Anchorage so definitely do-able, and it will be an easy drive back to Whittier on 8/2 for your day cruise. i'm not a city person so I'd suggest driving Denali to Girdwood on 7/31 ... less than an hr south of Anchorage. Some nice B&B's in Girdwood.

But if Seward wasn't a priority, investigate some other options ....

- 7/31 overnight in Wasilla on Lake Lucille, then on 8/1 visit the Eklutna spirit houses/orthodox church, and spend the day exploring the Turnagain Arm area.

- 7/31 overnight in Palmer, check out the Visitor Center garden for enormous vegetables and flowers, and maybe visit Independence Mine (near Hatcher Pass)

Check out the drives in this link, for Turnagain Arm, Hatcher Pass, Seward, even Denali, for some ideas: http://alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

There are lots of options to consider ... you just need to decide what you want to see and do :). Good luck with your planning.

Thanks for all the input. Seward was not as big a priority once we decided to do the Prince William Sound Tour in Whittier.(although of course it would be nice to see it while we are there). I think what we have decided for sure is not to stop halfway from Anchorage to Girdwood. While I realized it wasn't that far a drive, I guess we were thinking of what we'd be doing along the way (hiking, the Wildlife Center, etc) but now realize we can do those things and still do that route in good time. So we are looking into some of the suggestions centered around Wasilla and Palmer. It's just a matter of getting 4 people to agree. Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks for all the input. Seward was not as big a priority once we decided to do the Prince William Sound Tour in Whittier.(although of course it would be nice to see it while we are there). I think what we have decided for sure is not to stop halfway from Anchorage to Girdwood. While I realized it wasn't that far a drive, I guess we were thinking of what we'd be doing along the way (hiking, the Wildlife Center, etc) but now realize we can do those things and still do that route in good time. So we are looking into some of the suggestions centered around Wasilla and Palmer. It's just a matter of getting 4 people to agree. Thanks again for all your help.

It takes all of about 39 minutes to see all of Seward if you don't stop and go into the SeaLife center thing.

Archived