Western Caribbean shore excursions?

drpickles

We are taking our first cruise on Oasis! our active family of 5 (older kids, young teenager) are looking for fun shore excursions, but looking to avoid the expensive RC ones if possible. We like the beach and water sports, not so much sightseeing. Any ideas for Jamaica and/or Cozumel? thank you!

Jamaica - Mystic Mountain. Fun "bobsled' ride through the jungle, Zip lines, pool with a slide, just a good all around family place.

Is the bobsled at Mystic Mountain similar to the "roller coaster" on Labadee? They look very similar.

We always go to Chankanaab. No excursion to purchase, just hop in a cab and buy an admission to the park (there's even a coupon for $2 off admission if you Google it).

You can lounge on the beach, snorkel for fishies, check out the park, or pay extra for dolphin/manatee experiences.

Yes, same manufacturer and everything.

Thanks for confirming. So if we do the roller coaster on Labadee no need to go to Mystic. Don't want two excursions for the same thing and I am sure the kids will be on the one in Labadee!

The one in Jamaica is better, especially since it's surrounded by jungle. However the one at Labadee has the advantage of being walking distance from the ship and significantly cheaper (an all day pass for two on Labadee is $40, versus $60/person for one ride in Jamaica).

I agree with the other poster. Mr. Sanchos is a great choice. Check it out on tripadvisor. I just did an extensive review with pictures. The price was $55 per person, and this included all the drinks and food your heart desires. They have watersports too. Some are included in that cost, some are not. Their website will list details.

We also just did Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica. We did ours thru resort for a day dot com. It's a great site for all inclusive resorts when on a cruise and in ports. There's a wonderful huge lazy river here and a main pool, plus the beach etc. Food and drinks were included here as well.

Have a great cruise!

Last year we did the Amazing Race in Cozumel with our 17 and 18 year olds and had an absolute blast. I booked it directly with the company and they were waiting for us at the pier to transport us to the race start. They went over the rules and off we raced. Truth be told, we raced the first few legs and then slowed down to enjoy and absorb the whole thing. At each leg, the clues were designed to have everyone in the group participating in solving. At the end we loved the included nachos, margaritas and pop and then they took us back to the pier. Highly recommend it as it was the highlight of our trip!!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! For those that booked with beach tour companies, did you do that before sailing away? Or are there tour companies at the ports trying to get business once you get off ship? We generally like to "go with the flow" and not be committed to set schedule :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! For those that booked with beach tour companies, did you do that before sailing away? Or are there tour companies at the ports trying to get business once you get off ship? We generally like to "go with the flow" and not be committed to set schedule :)

I know with Mr Sanchos you can just get a taxi at the pier and purchase the excursion once you get there.

We are taking our first cruise on Oasis! our active family of 5 (older kids, young teenager) are looking for fun shore excursions, but looking to avoid the expensive RC ones if possible. We like the beach and water sports, not so much sightseeing. Any ideas for Jamaica and/or Cozumel? thank you!

This past Friday we took our family of 5 to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. Three older teens and my DH and myself. $2.00 per person to get in and use facilities - large pool, beachside and poolside loungers, umbrellas, clean rest rooms, immaculate grounds.... nice beach area. For $12.00 additional each if you choose, children and adults can use the water toys - slides, climb ones in the beach water area. There is access to jet skis, snorkel tours, banana boats, hair braiding, etc for an additional fee. Our kids used the water park, we ordered off the menu whatever we wanted, used the facitlities for a good part of the day and spent less than we would have at Mr. Sanchos. We had a great day at Paradise Beach. I think it is all the same beach, just divided up into sections.

Cabs are everywhere! Very easy to grab. They are lined up at all the beach clubs as well as at the port and up and down the streets. The prices are posted at the taxi stands. Also we paid about 4.00 per person each way plus tip. At the port the taxi access is at the back on lower level. You don't need to have a driver stay with you unless you want to go to multiple places. They offered us a driver for 5 hours for 18.00 pp but that wasn't worth it as we were only going to beach and back. I suspect that was a negotiable fare, however.

Archived