Seasick Question

nomie

I know this has been talked about many times and I have pretty much decided to try the patch or take Dramimine. I only get seasick if the seas are rough but you never know when that will happen and I don't want to chance it so my question is which one to take. Also what happens if the patch gets wet? I know all the other things people have tried but one of these two things will be best for me but which one and why? I am not a big drinker. If I have 3 drinks a day that would be a lot.

Just a personal comment. My daughter (19) tried the patch on our recent cruise on the Sea in May. There was no problem with it getting wet, it stayed on just fine while she snorkeled. What she did have a problem with, however, was blurry vision. It didn't start until about the 3rd or 4th day, but it was bad enough that she couldn't even read the menu. We finally gave up and took it off, and then had her take a Bonine which seemed to work.

From what I've heard, that is a fairly common side affect. Next cruise, we'll definitely not bother with the path for her. Our friend swears by 1/2 a bonine, both morning and night, and never has any trouble, so that's what we'll be trying next time.

I use the Less Drowsy Formula Dramimine and I do not get drowsey. If I take the regular Dramimine I do get sleepy. I think it just depends on the individual. I did use the patch on our 2nd cruise and it did make my eye sight blurry and at night I saw hallos around the lights while walking on deck. I think I will stick with the Less Drowsy Formula Dramimine when needed.

My husband gets really car sick and uses Bonine all the time. He likes it because it is chewable and works for him even if he's already a little queasy. It is non drowsy and can be found with the dramamine in a blue box. It is more expensive that dramamine I think, and there are only 8 in a package, but he swears by it. We just returned from the Wind and the seas were fairly rough, and we saw a lot of people using the patch, but he didn't have any problems. I think he only used the Bonine on the tenders and on tour buses.

Blurry or double-vision is one of the listed potential side effects of the patch. I've been lucky with it, though, using it for many cruises without any vision trouble. Unfortunately, there've been a couple times I was SURE I wouldn't need it, and was down for the count.

On a sailing to Alaska on the Sky a few years ago we hit a storm shortly after we left Seattle, and I never left the bed our first full day out. Our cabin steward made up the room around me. When he found me in the same position when he came for turndown service, he asked, "Madame, if I unwrap a mint and put it in your mouth would you like that?" Now that (nauseating as the thought was...:eek: ) is customer service!

I don't sail without the patch any more. I also have a couple of friends who use it with great success.

I get motion-sick fairly easily. I've tried the wrist bands (a little help), and the meclizine (Bonine) which provides more help but sometimes not enough.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a prescription for the TransdermScop patch filled, in case other remedies aren't working. Hopefully there will be comfortable, blur-free results!:)

Happy sailing, Carla

I know this has been talked about many times and I have pretty much decided to try the patch or take Dramimine. I only get seasick if the seas are rough but you never know when that will happen and I don't want to chance it so my question is which one to take. Also what happens if the patch gets wet? I know all the other things people have tried but one of these two things will be best for me but which one and why? I am not a big drinker. If I have 3 drinks a day that would be a lot.

I hate getting seasick and having my vacation be ruined. On a recent 10-day cruise to Alaska, I took along every kind of seasick remedy for insurance. I took along Bonine (meclizine) which is a less drowsy causing form of Dramamine (diphenhydramine which is same as Benadryl). It is also marked as Non-drowsy Dramamine. Disregard all the trade names, just get the generic brand of meclizine 25mg and save some $$. For some people, it still causes a little drowsiness. Take one tablet the day before boarding the ship, and 1/2 tablet before sailing, and continue with 1/2 to 1 tablet daily if necessary.

Some people reported ginger tablets work wonders for them.

Yes, there are the Transderm-scop patches. For some people, it can cause blurry vision and dry mouth, but for others , it works fine. In the US, you will need a prescription for them, but there are some Canadian Pharmacies on the internet that you can just purchase them, and a lot cheaper. I got four for $10 US plus shipping.

Then there are the elastic Seabands that you wear on both wrists with the button on each working as acupuncture points on the points on your wrists. These are free of side effects other than the dent on your wrists caused by the button.

Finally, there is the Relief Band. It works as an electromagnetic device to interrupt the messages between your "vomit center" in your brain and your stomach. It looks like a watch with 5 levels that you can set, depending on the severity of the motion sickness. You wear it like a watch on the wrist that can feel the tingliness the most. There are basic ones with batteries that will last only 150hr and it's no good anymore. There are 2 models with batteries that you can change. The less expensive one (Explorer) has a canvas or cloth type of band while the Adventurer model has a leather band. Made sure you know which model you are buying because they all look very similar. Relief Bands are expensive. Around $79 to $109 each. You will find them at much better prices on eBay. I got my new leather Adventurer for only $50.

I started with one meclizine 25mg the day before, and 1/2 the day of the sailing and then 1/2 that night. I did not like the hangover feeling, even though slight. I switched to the Seabands for the rest of the cruise and a seaplane ride, whether I needed it or not. My daughter-in-law, who is more prone to seasickness, wore her Relief Band the entire time as insurance and never got sick either.

Oh yes, one more option. If you get sick enough, you can always get an injection from the ship's physician.

:)

I usually take Bonine and it works fine. On our last cruise we didn't even have very rough weather, but I was affected by the motion so I took Bonine after I got sick and a few hours later I was fine.

I had to get an injection once when we hit bad weather and that works like a charm!

Happy sailing!

:)

.........I took along Bonine (meclizine) which is a less drowsy causing form of Dramamine (diphenhydramine which is same as Benadryl). It is also marked as Non-drowsy Dramamine. Disregard all the trade names, just get the generic brand of meclizine 25mg and save some $$. For some people, it still causes a little drowsiness. Take one tablet the day before boarding the ship, and 1/2 tablet before sailing, and continue with 1/2 to 1 tablet daily if necessary... Some people reported ginger tablets work wonders for them.

My wife is always prone to seasickness. She does exactly as dosed above and has no problems. The trick is to start early and stay the course, even if you fell you no longer need to.

In March she thought she'd give the patch a try. Didn't work out very well. She quickly got back on the 25mg Meclizine OTC and all was well.

Once sick, however, what works for her is green apple and Ginger Ale. Learned this from a cabin steward on an Alaskan trip who said this is what he had been taught. And, STAY OUTSIDE! Don't go back into your cabin! Walk around outside with an apple in one hand and a ginger ale in the other. Close to the rail, if it feels right. I know it worked the night we came out of the Inside Passage towards Sitka. Six people all wrapped-up in blankets, drinking ginger ale and me cutting up apples as fast as I could. All six survived and went to dinner that night.

Just a note: Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) are NOT the same medication. Benadryl is an antihistamine, although it does have some anti-emetic properties. Dramamine is an anti-emetic/anti-nauseant. Bonine is just one brand name of meclizine, which is both a type of anti-histamine (though not the type used for allergies) and an anti-emetic. It is also known as Antivert, and is used for dizziness and vertigo caused by inner ear conditions and infections. Being a health care professional with Meniere's disease (which, strangely enough, affects me on airplanes but not cruise ships--go figure), I find the meclizine much more effective. It does not cause much in the way of drowsiness after you become accustomed to it, and targets the balance centers in the inner ear which cause motion sickness much better for me. I only use the meclizine as a last resort, though, as I find the SeaBands to be quite effective if used according to directions, and NO side effects. As always, check with your physician/health care provider before taking ANY new medication, prescription or over the counter, in order to evaluation potential drug/drug or drug/food interactions with other meds/foods you take on a regular basis.

I love the tip about online Canadian pharmacies for my TransDerm Scop. My doctor has prescribed it for me, and it works great. The idea of saving some money has tremendous appeal:) . And if I can eliminate one phone call from my doctor's day, all the better! :p Great tip, Carla

Archived