How do I keep my valuables safe?

soniablue

Hi...I leave for my first cruise next Saturday on the Norwegian Epic. I'm cruising solo, and it suddenly struck me that if I want to swim, I'll have to leave my valuables (i.e. wallet, key card, etc.) on a deck chair. So that leads me to ask: is it safe to leave stuff on a deck chair, or should I invest in one of those waterproof neck pouches I've seen online? :confused:

And am I correct in assuming there's a safe in my (itty bitty, 100 sq foot) stateroom?

You will have a safe in your cabin and should use it.

You should always leave one credit card in the safe and bring a different one out and about/ashore with you. Should you lose the one by what ever method, you will have another to fall back on.

It is not a good idea to leave a wallet sitting obviously on the chair on a cruise ship anymore than anywhere else. Think of the cruise community of guests just like any other assembly of a large group. Most of the people wouldn't dream of touching someone else's things but there could be one in the crowd who would. Use the same caution and common sense you use anywhere and go the extra edge toward safety and security rather than less vigilance.

IMO

If your swimsuit has a pocket, put your cabin ID in the pocket. If not, tuck it in our shoe/sneaker when you get in the ship's pool.

Some people bring a tote/beachbag with book, sunglasses, sun lotion etc to the pool. Those are usually safe enough to put your cabin key/ID while you swim.

Most people don't expect them to have valuables unless of coarse, one is carrying their ipad etc

If you plan on (or think you might) do any sort of water activites in port, I would purchase the waterproof pouch.

As far as on the ship, I don't carry any valuables with me aside from key card and usually just keep that buried in my beach bag.

Have a great cruise!

As others have explained your key card doubles as your on board credit card & is the only way to pay for things. If I can see my stuff from the pool, I'm OK leaving it on the chair while I take a dip.

You can't go wrong with a Water wallet.

We just ordered a Kyss bag...it is a locking bag with a chain that you can wrap around a tree or chair....the bag is heavy duty fabric so not slashable.. Hopefully it will be here before we leave Wed morning. We do a lot of snorkeling and hate leaving our kindles etc just in a backpack..too easy for someone just to pick it up and go. Check out their website...I think we will love it...

I usually have a small tote or string backpack with me for Kindle, water bottle, sunscreen, etc. You could tuck everything in there and leave on your chair or under your towel. We used the waterproof neck pouches for our cash/cards/cruise card while on snorkel excursion.

Archived