Cunard has best libraries at sea??

bazzaw

In my experience -- very much so!!

Recently went on RCCL Voyager of the Seas - which has a great two level Library - very pleasant and comfortable, nice outlook over the Grand internal Promenade -- trouble was, NO BOOKS!! (or Librarian) :rolleyes:

What are others ' experiences ?

Barry

The best for me was the QE2 library and adjoining book shop. I think most who remember it would agree. There are some quite nice ones on some of the smaller ships. Adonia, that was formerly Minerva 2 has a very pleasant one.

The QM2 one is a bit closed in for me.

David.

The best for me was the QE2 library and adjoining book shop. I think most who remember it would agree. There are some quite nice ones on some of the smaller ships. Adonia, that was formerly Minerva 2 has a very pleasant one.

The QM2 one is a bit closed in for me.

David.

You don't care for it?

The problem with Cunard libraries is that they only open for restricted hours, and even then the librarian sometimes doesn't show. On some ships the shelves are left permanently accessible and the passengers are trusted to sign out their own books.

You don't care for it?

Wouldn't go overboard ( HA HA) about it, I would like to see it a bit more open with bookcases a bit lower and less dominating. Never liked the computers there either.

Another thought occurs, what happened to the CC sign in book. I have not seen it mentioned here lately but for those who don't know, this was donated by a CC member ( there may have been another to replace the first when full) it was signed by many and it was good to read the comments in a different form than on these boards.

David.

Wouldn't go overboard ( HA HA) about it, I would like to see it a bit more open with bookcases a bit lower and less dominating. Never liked the computers there either.

Another thought occurs, what happened to the CC sign in book. I have not seen it mentioned here lately but for those who don't know, this was donated by a CC member ( there may have been another to replace the first when full) it was signed by many and it was good to read the comments in a different form than on these boards.

David.

I looked for it in 2012 but it could not be found (either in the library or in the Commodore Club). I didn't enquire this year so it may have resurfaced.

HAL has pretty good libraries. More seating and fewer books than on QM2, but there is a more open feel to the room. I can't recall if the cases lock. Maybe some of the cases with the reference books do, but IIRC, on at least one ship, there was a long wall of shelves that did not have doors. On some of the ships, the library/computer area is adjacent to the coffee shop, so you can read and sip your coffee, like a Starbucks in a Barnes & Noble.

I don't know which Carnival ship it is, but someone on the HAL board posted an experience of being on Carnival and searching for the library. He/she finally found a small room lined with books. Problem was, it was tromp l'oeil wallpaper and there were NO real books!!!! :eek:

3RDGENCUNARDER - Thanks for the advice about HAL - I am eyeing off a cruise on HAL next year in the Med.

My experience on VOS was only one ship of the RCCL line - so am wondering if others are similar.

I prefer the QM2 library to the QE and QV. They are also VERY good - but there is just something about the QM2 library that I really like. Is it possible to have a drink in there?? One of my favourite pastimes is to have a tipple while reading the newspaper - on QM2 , it would have to be one of the many magazines :D

Barry

The problem with Cunard libraries is that they only open for restricted hours, and even then the librarian sometimes doesn't show. On some ships the shelves are left permanently accessible and the passengers are trusted to sign out their own books.

I agree with you. The best library at sea is not much good if all the books are locked away. They should keep the library open and the shelves unlocked.

HAL has pretty good libraries. More seating and fewer books than on QM2, but there is a more open feel to the room. I can't recall if the cases lock. Maybe some of the cases with the reference books do, but IIRC, on at least one ship, there was a long wall of shelves that did not have doors. On some of the ships, the library/computer area is adjacent to the coffee shop, so you can read and sip your coffee, like a Starbucks in a Barnes & Noble.

I don't know which Carnival ship it is, but someone on the HAL board posted an experience of being on Carnival and searching for the library. He/she finally found a small room lined with books. Problem was, it was tromp l'oeil wallpaper and there were NO real books!!!! :eek:

Hi 3GC. From my limited experience of Holland America (two cruises on the Veendam) I agree with you that the ship has a more open feel to the reading area, and that it is appealing to multi-generational use. One night, after a late supper, we saw teens playing chess and working on puzzles, older passengers have an after dinner drink, coffee and pastry purchased from the nearby counter. Computer stations were actively engaged, and a few passengers were snoozing in comfy chairs facing the few windows that faced the moon over darkened seas. It was indeed like a Starbucks - on steroids.

But the library on QM2 is very different: it is for book lovers, researchers, and those seeking a quiet place to stare at the sea or words in print without the side show one might encounter at a coffee shop. How long will the library on QM2 last before that space is converted into a more revenue enhancing venue?

A Carnival ship without books? Maybe the pages of the books were needed for more mundane purposes :eek:

I like the library - it is a real book lover's haven. Only issue on the TA is to find one or two great books on day one and try to finish them by day 7! In that regard, I also particularly appreciated the donation shelves where pax could leave their own books they had finished and others could take them away - that gave an opportunity to grab a book towards the end of the week, knowing you could take it with you if you hadn't finished it. I like that feature so much that I plan to stack up some already-read books to take with me and donatae.

David.

What a really nice gesture and if this book has gone AWOL, would it be worthwhile replacing?

might have one or two worthwhile books but good luck finding them. In my experience the books are usually not arranged at all and the selection is very limited. No one in charge either. Not really a "library" at all.

might have one or two worthwhile books but good luck finding them. In my experience the books are usually not arranged at all and the selection is very limited. No one in charge either. Not really a "library" at all.

That is disappointing to read and does that apply to the library aboard the Queen Elizabeth?

That is disappointing to read and does that apply to the library aboard the Queen Elizabeth?

The QE and QV have big libraries, both on two levels and with a spiral staircase

This is the one on the QV which is similar to the one on the QE

QV_Library_18130.jpg

Archived