It's all happening so fast!!!

VallyD

:eek:

Okay, so one day I go to sleep and it seems like forever until our trip and today I wake up like the mother from Home Alone saying "WE ARE GOING TO MISS OUR FLIGHT" (maybe that had something to do with the dream about missing the ship lmbo).

So NOW I have questions

I've gotten our clothing together, Ive got a garment bag and one HUGE suitcase for us both. We have printed our travel docs, luggage tags, we have passports and birth certificates.

I have a "makeup box" you ladie's should know what a mean, it opens up and the trays fold out? I was going to take it but can't seem to find the key, I was thinking packing makeup in plastic ziplocks?

Is there shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom that's pretty good, or should I bring my own?

Is there anything I need to print other than the travel documents off the online check in thingie (sorry don't know what else to call it lol)?

If I press husbands shirts and steam my gowns before putting them in the garment bag will they stay pretty crisp or will they wrinkle?

How much IS it to get things presses? (Ive done enough pageants to know how to use a dryer or some shower steam to get the wrinkles to fall out of a gown at least)

What medication should I bring other than our perscription medication?

If my perscription medication still has my maiden name on it (and I can't get it changed on there since it's already filled) would bringing my marriage license along to prove it's mine suffice?

I'm afraid of tipping improperly, I always felt kind of weird just handing cash to valets or luggage staff, is it okay to do that or should I put tips in envelopes?

For 7 days how much would you bring for tips (in cash)?

I'm aware they put an 800 hold for two on the trip, how much CASH would you bring though for spending on port?

What time are you supposed to get to the pier so to speak, I get conflicting answers from my mom?

How much can you "Carry on" the boat. One bag? Could I 'carry on' my makeup box and then a bag with clothes and wine? How does that work?

Our Pinnacle reservation was for the night we would be going to Grand Turk, but I don't think Euro's going to go there (maybe I missed something) could a formal night be put on that night instead and if so could I change my reservation time?

I'm only bringing one pair of heels, am I crazy :D ?

Do you need your credit card for any purpose whatsoever after you get your ship card (I am not sure the proper word)?

Do we need to carry our passports with us on to ports?

How much time should I allow for port traffic to get there on time from a hotel 15 min away?

I have read people say they see women carrying purses on the ship and that it is unnecessary but I would think it would be prudent to carry important things with you such as ID or is the card really all you need?

Door decorations, I know other cruisers on other cruiselines do this a bit, is it considered tacky on HAL and if not how do you put them up?

What I know I need to add to my luggage:

Underwear (see Im already forgetting important stuff)

Bonine (or other sickness pills)

Pepto etc

Tylenol

Sunscreen

...any suggestions? You guys are amazing, thank you lol!

I think you will find that the Elemis shampoo and conditioner in the cabins is wonderful. Garments put in the garment bag will hold up well, shirts may need a little steam which you can do in the shower. Door decorations such as balloons saying just married would be very nice. They are conversation starters and an excellent way to find your cabin. We had people thank us for making it easier to find their cabins when we put up decorations. Usually balloons, sometimes wreaths , once a Santa Claus teddy bear etc.

Okay, so one day I go to sleep and it seems like forever until our trip and today I wake up like the mother from Home Alone saying "WE ARE GOING TO MISS OUR FLIGHT" (maybe that had something to do with the dream about missing the ship lmbo).

So NOW I have questions

I've gotten our clothing together, Ive got a garment bag and one HUGE suitcase for us both. We have printed our travel docs, luggage tags, we have passports and birth certificates.

I have a "makeup box" you ladie's should know what a mean, it opens up and the trays fold out? I was going to take it but can't seem to find the key, I was thinking packing makeup in plastic ziplocks? I would - or special bags - something waterproof - takes up less room.

Is there shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom that's pretty good, or should I bring my own? yes Elemis - good make in my opinon and you should be fine for 7 days.

Is there anything I need to print other than the travel documents off the online check in thingie (sorry don't know what else to call it lol)? you got it - don't forget your luggage tags LOL - and your airplane or hotel reservations of course!

If I press husbands shirts and steam my gowns before putting them in the garment bag will they stay pretty crisp or will they wrinkle? depends upon how you pack - normally I fold mine and with tissue paper there are fine.

How much IS it to get things presses? (Ive done enough pageants to know how to use a dryer or some shower steam to get the wrinkles to fall out of a gown at least)

What medication should I bring other than our perscription medication? perhaps some immodium, a few band aids, some ginger pills - we all bring what we know sometimes we might need.

If my perscription medication still has my maiden name on it (and I can't get it changed on there since it's already filled) would bringing my marriage license along to prove it's mine suffice? I would certainly like to think so

I'm afraid of tipping improperly, I always felt kind of weird just handing cash to valets or luggage staff, is it okay to do that or should I put tips in envelopes? tips to the porters, taxis, etc. we just hand over. On board we put them in an envelope and the front desk will give you all you want.

For 7 days how much would you bring for tips (in cash)? that so much depends upon you, the service you receive, etc. Remember tips are included in the hotel service charge so you are giving extra to say thanks for excellent service.

I'm aware they put an 800 hold for two on the trip, how much CASH would you bring though for spending on port? wow another tough question - so personal - are you just going to have a drink, lunch? are you going to do some private taxi tours? go shopping?

What time are you supposed to get to the pier so to speak, I get conflicting answers from my mom? You can aim for around 11:30 am if you want to get right on board early. If you go a bit later there should be fewer crowds.

How much can you "Carry on" the boat. One bag? Could I 'carry on' my makeup box and then a bag with clothes and wine? How does that work? Carry on is carry on - it has to be carry on size. What you can manage and will fit through the screening system would be fine. Myself, I would put the makeup in my check in - it will get there - honest!

Our Pinnacle reservation was for the night we would be going to Grand Turk, but I don't think Euro's going to go there (maybe I missed something) could a formal night be put on that night instead and if so could I change my reservation time? Once you get on board, check the Explorer which will be in your room - it will list the formal nights and yes, you can change your reservation for the Pinnacle Grill (assuming there are openings of course)

I'm only bringing one pair of heels, am I crazy :D ? no, you are wise:)

Do you need your credit card for any purpose whatsoever after you get your ship card (I am not sure the proper word)? ONly in port if you plan some big expenditure - on board no - lock it in your safe.

Do we need to carry our passports with us on to ports? If you are doing Caribbean or Alaska, no - Europe depends upon the ports. However, we always have a colour photocopy with us - serves as ID for the ship and if the worst happened, it doesn't hurt.

How much time should I allow for port traffic to get there on time from a hotel 15 min away? it doesn't take long - very short - but it can depend on traffic - we're normally there within 10 to 15 minutes.

I have read people say they see women carrying purses on the ship and that it is unnecessary but I would think it would be prudent to carry important things with you such as ID or is the card really all you need? the card is all you need on board

Door decorations, I know other cruisers on other cruiselines do this a bit, is it considered tacky on HAL and if not how do you put them up?

Pepto etc

Tylenol

Sunscreen

Ok, I tried to answer some of your questions above, I hope it helps a bit.

Relax - what you forget you can buy.

You're on vacation.:D

I just want to add- some people love Elemis products, some don't, but you really need to bring a deep conditioner to use at least once if your hair is anything other than totally straight. Salt air, salt water, sun, wind, chlorine, and weak blow dryers (leading me to say forget it after 30 seconds) made my hair wild!

Pack your dresses in dry cleaner bags and they shouldn't wrinkle. If it is a fabric likely to wrinkle some, I take a metal dry cleaner hanger and place a dry cleaner bag on it. I then hang the dress over the dry cleaner bag and once neatly hung, I place another plastic bag over the dress. Those two bags trap air and keep the dress/jacket from wrinkling.

I always carry a small purse wherever I am. I don't lug my big 'at home' purse around the ship but will always have either a small wristlet, an overbody small shoulder strap bag or an evening purse. I need my lipstick, a tiny hairbrush, tissues, medications in small ziploc, ID, some cash, breath freshener, reading glasses and pen/paper. I'm never without those things.

I have a "makeup box" you ladie's should know what a mean, it opens up and the trays fold out? I was going to take it but can't seem to find the key, I was thinking packing makeup in plastic ziplocks? I always take ziplocs in addition to a makeup bag.

Is there shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom that's pretty good, or should I bring my own? I like the Elemis stuff that is provided, and it saves a lot of aggravation about packing :D

Is there anything I need to print other than the travel documents off the online check in thingie (sorry don't know what else to call it lol)? We take copies of our hotel reservations, OBCs, and itinerary. Probably too much but we still do it.

If I press husbands shirts and steam my gowns before putting them in the garment bag will they stay pretty crisp or will they wrinkle?

How much IS it to get things presses? (Ive done enough pageants to know how to use a dryer or some shower steam to get the wrinkles to fall out of a gown at least) We steam. Works great. Have only had one item need pressing. That was comp because we were in a suite.

What medication should I bring other than our perscription medication? We take bandaids, Pepto Bismal, ibuprofen (or similar), allergy meds, and some kind of medication for headcolds. That's just us -- I got stuck in Mexico trying to find familiar items and couldn't, so now we take along a little supply

If my perscription medication still has my maiden name on it (and I can't get it changed on there since it's already filled) would bringing my marriage license along to prove it's mine suffice?

I'm afraid of tipping improperly, I always felt kind of weird just handing cash to valets or luggage staff, is it okay to do that or should I put tips in envelopes? For hotels, shuttles, airports, and at the port, we have cash folded in our hand, and just tuck it into the recipient's palm. For onboard, we use envelopes individually addressed the last night of the cruise, if we tip onboard staff additionally. We include a "thank you" note.

For 7 days how much would you bring for tips (in cash)? That's a pretty personal choice. General guideline for us is the TOTAL of the HSC for both of us, plus $100. Plus $50 for the miscellaneous shoreside stuff (shuttles, porters, blah blah blah) We don't always spend the total amount, but I'd rather have a bit too much than a bit too little.

I'm aware they put an 800 hold for two on the trip, how much CASH would you bring though for spending on port? Depends on what you're doing in port. If you want to get a few little souvenirs, and a bite of local food, and a coffee, and a cab, and and and, it can add up. Generally, we have $500 for a 10 day cruise. If we have local shore excursions booked but not paid, we add that amount to the $500.

What time are you supposed to get to the pier so to speak, I get conflicting answers from my mom? We try to get there around 11:30 am. Have never had a significant wait.

How much can you "Carry on" the boat. One bag? Could I 'carry on' my makeup box and then a bag with clothes and wine? How does that work? You can carry on however much you can carry, providing it all fits through the security scanner.

Our Pinnacle reservation was for the night we would be going to Grand Turk, but I don't think Euro's going to go there (maybe I missed something) could a formal night be put on that night instead and if so could I change my reservation time?

I'm only bringing one pair of heels, am I crazy :D ? Nope, not crazy

Do you need your credit card for any purpose whatsoever after you get your ship card (I am not sure the proper word)?

How much time should I allow for port traffic to get there on time from a hotel 15 min away?

I have read people say they see women carrying purses on the ship and that it is unnecessary but I would think it would be prudent to carry important things with you such as ID or is the card really all you need? I wear something with pockets while onboard, and use the pockets for my card, and my reading glasses. That's all I need.

Door decorations, I know other cruisers on other cruiselines do this a bit, is it considered tacky on HAL and if not how do you put them up? We have never decorated our door. To be honest, most of the door decorations I've noticed appear to be to help the residents identify THEIR cabin.

Pepto etc

Tylenol

Sunscreen

See the responses I've been able to provide in red.

Take a bunch of "ones" for room service tips. If you get room service breakfast, put a couple of them in the cardslot on the door the night before, saves searching and the steward will be out the door in a flash.

I always, always, cruise with some duct tape. You would be surprised how often we've used it. Tapes drawers shut in rough seas, seals damages suitcases, etc. etc. Wrap some around a pencil, don't tape a whole roll;)

Door decorations often come in handy to spot your room when you're lost the first few days:D Fortunately, usually someone in our vicinity has balloons or something on their door so it saves us the trouble.

Take extra ziplok bags. They come in handy for all sort of things.

I always take an over-the-door shoe organiser and use it for keeping everything off the desk so you have more room.... camera, receipts, sunscreen, bug spray, whatever... easy to find.

I take some of those little plastic trays you get from the dollar store (3 for $1) for the bathroom to put odds and ends in and keep them in one place.

All I can think of for now....

So NOW I have questions

I have a "makeup box" you ladie's should know what a mean, it opens up and the trays fold out? I was going to take it but can't seem to find the key, I was thinking packing makeup in plastic ziplocks?

Is there shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom that's pretty good, or should I bring my own?

Is there anything I need to print other than the travel documents off the online check in thingie (sorry don't know what else to call it lol)?

I'm afraid of tipping improperly, I always felt kind of weird just handing cash to valets or luggage staff, is it okay to do that or should I put tips in envelopes?

For 7 days how much would you bring for tips (in cash)?

I'm aware they put an 800 hold for two on the trip, how much CASH would you bring though for spending on port?

What time are you supposed to get to the pier so to speak, I get conflicting answers from my mom?

How much can you "Carry on" the boat. One bag? Could I 'carry on' my makeup box and then a bag with clothes and wine? How does that work?

I'm only bringing one pair of heels, am I crazy :D ?

I have read people say they see women carrying purses on the ship and that it is unnecessary but I would think it would be prudent to carry important things with you such as ID or is the card really all you need?

Pepto etc

Tylenol

Sunscreen

Wow, you are almost as hyped up as I m right now ! That's not a criticism ,by the way. I have only been on one 7 day cruise last year to Alaska. I can answer a few of your questions, about general cruising stuff, but I have not gone with HAL yet ( we leave in four days .) They do supply shampoo, conditioner etc, that my husband has used. Personally I bring some of my own, I am picky about hair products . Are you flying to your embarking area, or coming from home? I don't think there is a limit to what you can carry on .We each had a roller type carry on and a backpack. You probably won't need a purse on board except for formal night if you want to put your phone etc in something. I only carried my phone , and Kleenex in my pocket on board and a small daypack from REI in ports in order to accommodate camera , memory cards etc. I can't remember about the ship shops, but I think you pay for everything by using your ship card. Someone else could clarify that. You probably will want your credit cards for in ports. I put my make up in two make up type bags, but we embarked from Seattle, near our home. If you are flying you would want to double bag stuff in ziplock bags ( particularly for checked baggage ) I am taking the airline bag thing you have to put stuff in for inspection and another small make up bag that doesn't have gels, liquids etc in my carry on and another larger make up bag in my checked , but that's because we will be gone 40+ days. If you press stuff before you go, it shouldn't get too wrinkled . People have recommended Downy wrinkle release spray. Our last cruise had a laundry room where you could do your own pressing, but we only had to press about four items . I would only take one pair of heels that go with anything and maybe some dressy sandals ( depending on where you are going) we took a whole suitcase last year full of just shoes ( way too many ) . Don't overpack , you can always buy stuff in port if you need to. Last year we had six suit cases between us ( including rolling carry ons) and another backpack . This year we are taking four suitcases ( 2 are rolling carry ons ) and one shoulder type carry on each, because we are flying to embarkation point and don't want to pay extra for bags and hassle with them. I am taking light weight rayon poly blend tops that I will wash myself and hang to dry , because some of them have trim or blingy stuff that I don't want done in a machine . Ditto for my lingerie. The rest of our stuff will be sent for them to launder. You might want to get those sea band things or the patches if you are prone to motion sickness. I don't usually have motion sickness, neither does my husband ( he used to fly in fighter jets with the AF ) but we did have a couple rough days at sea and we used the patches, after getting really nauseous ( they are scopolamine patches , you will need a prescription) but they are great because thy don't make you sleepy like Dramamine etc. As far as tipping, they add a gratuity to your bill, but I think we gave our cabin boy a tip in cash in an envelope in addition to that. We didn't tip at dinner , I don't think, but we only ate out twice in the dining room, the rest of the time in buffet style. We didnt have the same servers every night. You won't need a hair dryer , but if you need a curling iron etc, take that. I would always take your passport in port in a foreign country , kept in a secure place. You don't need any ID on the ship, only your ship card . For your prescriptions , if you have your marriage certificate in addition to other ID that should be sufficient . I hope I have been of some help, others could answer your documents question, my husband takes care of all of that stuff, luggage tags etc. Have a great trip! When do you leave??

I am going to suggest you take 2 suitcases rather than one huge one. I would pack half your stuff in one and half in the other. Do the same with your husbands stuff. That way if one of the cases goes missing, you still have enough stuff to make do. If it is all in one case and it goes missing you are in trouble!

So NOW I have questions

I have a "makeup box" you ladie's should know what a mean, it opens up and the trays fold out? I was going to take it but can't seem to find the key, I was thinking packing makeup in plastic ziplocks? this is what i do

Is there shampoo and conditioner in the stateroom that's pretty good, or should I bring my own? bring your own

Is there anything I need to print other than the travel documents off the online check in thingie (sorry don't know what else to call it lol)? No

If I press husbands shirts and steam my gowns before putting them in the garment bag will they stay pretty crisp or will they wrinkle? I would consider doing the laundry and pressing package or just press only package, very inexpensive just do not remember cost

How much IS it to get things presses? (Ive done enough pageants to know how to use a dryer or some shower steam to get the wrinkles to fall out of a gown at least) not bad at all, I think press onoy was $27 for my parents cabin

Advil, Pepto, Imodium, I take everything I own, because i end up needing it. Aloe, and sun burn spray.

If my perscription medication still has my maiden name on it (and I can't get it changed on there since it's already filled) would bringing my marriage license along to prove it's mine suffice?Yes I would think it would.

I'm afraid of tipping improperly, I always felt kind of weird just handing cash to valets or luggage staff, is it okay to do that or should I put tips in envelopes? Yes if it makes you comfortable. we do not.

For 7 days how much would you bring for tips (in cash)? 100

I'm aware they put an 800 hold for two on the trip, how much CASH would you bring though for spending on port? We bring $400

What time are you supposed to get to the pier so to speak, I get conflicting answers from my mom? We go at about 11.

As far as I know you can carry on everything. We take 2 backpacks as they are hands free. one carry on and then our wine sometimes.

Our Pinnacle reservation was for the night we would be going to Grand Turk, but I don't think Euro's going to go there (maybe I missed something) could a formal night be put on that night instead and if so could I change my reservation time? Everything is based on avail. I would never go to PG on formal night as the best food in the MDR is on formal night. Lobster/Surf/turf/Prime Rib etc. First night is very good and formal nights. We would never miss those in MDR.

I'm only bringing one pair of heels, am I crazy :D ? Nope :) as long as they are awesome ones. LOL.

Do you need your credit card for any purpose whatsoever after you get your ship card (I am not sure the proper word)? For you onboard account. But we do not do that. We purchase shipboard credit with our card before we leave as to avoid long credit card holds.

Do we need to carry our passports with us on to ports? I would never leave ship without it.

How much time should I allow for port traffic to get there on time from a hotel 15 min away? I leave 30 min early. FLL can be crazy.

I got a very cute lanyard from coach, also saw some at the mall at claires for under $12, they hold my room card, cash for tips (there is a little zipper compartment) and it has rhinestones all over it. LOL

Never have done this.

Pepto etc

Tylenol

Sunscreen

Sounds good. We forgot DH underwear 4 cruises ago. There is a Ross in Ft Lauderdale that saved us near total wine kind of.

Take some wine. Have a great time. :) Eat in the MDR on formal night,

and plan something for St Thomas!!

PS. The Cabs in Puerto Rico do NOT have meters, so negotiate before getting in.

ps. Take 2 suitcases. Backpacks are hands free.

Sounds like you've thought of everything. Relax and enjoy the anticipation!

One thing to consider adding to the pile. Think about taking a small notebook or journal to write in. And since it's your honeymoon, you might think about keeping the various bits of paper you collect along the way to make a scrapbook. Or if you know someone who's a scrapbooker, maybe they'd take your collected stuff and make one for you as a gift.

ALSO one of my perscriptions is a controlled substance and is often abused (for ADD) so should I keep this in the safe?

Anything that is a controlled drug should be locked up, also your jewelry etc. I thought of a couple more things, that you probably already have but thought I would remind you , exercise clothes if you will be using that room, comfortable walking shoes for in port, and shoes you can get wet for poolside or beach. Also don't forget portable hand sanitizer or hand wipes to use in port . They have it in places for everyone all over the ship, dining areas etc., so you won't need to carry it there. I always have that with me in addition to pocket Kleenex packs . Don't worry if you forget something , you can get it in the ships store or in port. Where are you going?

If no one has mentioned it yet, I take a pad of post-its. They work well to communicate with each other if we go out on our own and also work well to leave the occasional note for the cabin steward.

I also bring some small note cards that can be used as thank you's to someone who has done something really special and/or to enclose end of cruise tips. They, at times, have come in real handy.

Relax. You seem well organized, and have a spectacular time.

Sounds like you've thought of everything. Relax and enjoy the anticipation!

One thing to consider adding to the pile. Think about taking a small notebook or journal to write in. And since it's your honeymoon, you might think about keeping the various bits of paper you collect along the way to make a scrapbook. Or if you know someone who's a scrapbooker, maybe they'd take your collected stuff and make one for you as a gift.

Someone showed me a scrapbook they made of their cruise . They took pictures of the front of the daily paper thing , which has what you do that day, and has the name of the port you will be in if applicable . They also kept all their daily paper things , and cut some of them up to use in the scrapbook or scanned them to cut and use in the scrapbook. It was really neat , because on the camera were all the pictures they took that day, and helped to keep them organized , beginning with the picture for that day of port etc. I thought it was a great idea.

Whoever is prone to sea sickness should start taking the Bonine on the day BEFORE you sail.

This is also true if you use the patches, they take about four hours to take effect. You would want to apply one four hours before departing.

Enjoy your cruise. You have done extensive planning which always is a key ingredient for any vacation. Don't set your expectations so high they can never be reached.

I always say the most important thing to bring on a cruise is "a good attitude."

Someone showed me a scrapbook they made of their cruise . They took pictures of the front of the daily paper thing , which has what you do that day, and has the name of the port you will be in if applicable . They also kept all their daily paper things , and cut some of them up to use in the scrapbook or scanned them to cut and use in the scrapbook. It was really neat , because on the camera were all the pictures they took that day, and helped to keep them organized , beginning with the picture for that day of port etc. I thought it was a great idea.

I take lots and lots of pictures, so the first thing I do each day is photograph the daily program. As you say, it helps you keep track of which pictures were taken when (especially if you didn't set the calendar on your camera).

If the ship has day of the week carpets, I take pictures of them, too. I keep a journal when I travel, and a lot of the little bits of paper get pasted into my journal. (I try to remember to pack a gluestick for that) I don't make scrapbooks. I do photo books instead, and use the picture of the carpet and/or the Explorer to title each day. I also try to take a picture of a sign that has the name of the port in it. "Welcome to Wherever" kinds of signs replace captions in my book. The combination of my journal and my photobook makes a sort of 2-part scrapbook.

Everything I have read on here is great advice. Make sure you read everyone's comments. I have also learned a few things here on this thread that I had not thought of........good tips! I also agree to split your clothes into two suitcases instead of one and pack half and half (DH clothes and yours) in each. Absolutely essential! If a suitcase gets lost, at least you have something! Please read all the great advice being offered here and go and have a good time! We all will be thinking of you!

Archived