Just off the Eurodam & it's Tops!

dag144

We just returned from a weeks cruise to the eastern Caribbean. We bypassed Grand Turk due to an outbreak of Novartis which the captain believed originated there. No big loss and it gave us more time in San Juan!

This was a truly mellow cruise with the youngest group of passengers that I ever seen on a HAL ship (except of course when I was young). Average age must have been about 40 with lots of collage age passengers and twenty/thirty somethings. Not too many young kids. This well behaved and fun group of people bodes well for HAL.

The ship was in tip top condition. We ate at Tamarind for six of the seven nights. We would have made it a clean sweep but chose to have dinner (and lunch also) in San Juan. In my opinion Tamarind is HAL's most successful specialty restaurant venture and one of the best in the cruise world. We also had a lunch in the Pinnacle. Naturally we had made a reservation, but still waited 10 minutes to be seated. There were very few diners at lunch that day. I believe that the Pinnacle staff has too much attitude which is not overcome by the quality of the food.

The usual stage show is soon to be updated and about time. BB King is a very good addition. Our Neptune suite was great and the Neptune Lounge continues to spoil. However, once we made up a plate of snacks at the Lido and carried it down to the cabin. It also was great.

All in all this was one of the nicest cruises that I have taken on HAL. We had the opportunity to participate in a small seminar put on by the Hotel Mgr. and the Social Director. About a dozen guests were invited and everybody had equally high opinions regarding the cruise and this beautiful ship!:):):)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We too missed Turks but only due to high winds but thought the cruise and the ship were great. I can't think of one thing other than the chair which I got rid of that I'd change.

Great cruise,great ship.

All in all this was one of the nicest cruises that I have taken on HAL. We had the opportunity to participate in a small seminar put on by the Hotel Mgr. and the Social Director. About a dozen guests were invited and everybody had equally high opinions regarding the cruise and this beautiful ship!:):):)

Thanks for the review but your commendatory remarks will only incite my anticipation of sailing on Eurodam's Transatlantic two weeks from today.

Thanks for the review but your commendatory remarks will only incite my anticipation of sailing on Eurodam's Transatlantic two weeks from today.

Lucky you! You will love it although the guests probably will be a bit older.!:)

Lucky you! You will love it although the guests probably will be a bit older.!:)

I'm used to that. Returned in December from a 41 day "grand cruise" and was told the average age was 69. From my observation, they must have included the crew in that calculation.

We agree completely, and feel that the attitude at the PG on the Eurodam is pretty bad.

It actually keeps us from eating there.

We actually paid a corkage fee there to pour every bit of our own champagne.

Match that with the wrong orders and other issues we have experienced, we stay away.

Tamarind is amazing and it is unmatched. The service, is the absolute BEST.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise! We LOVE everything about the Eurodam except the PG.

Thanks for posting your report on the Eurodam.

We'll be sailing on her in July, and looking forward to it.

In fact this weekend I just made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill and the Italian restaurant. I figure we'll have lunch in the Tamarind on the first sea day and see if we want to book a dinner there another evening.

Can the OP or another elaborate on what this "attitude" is at the PG?

Not sure what that means exactly? :confused: :confused:

I'm used to that. Returned in December from a 41 day "grand cruise" and was told the average age was 69. From my observation, they must have included the crew in that calculation.

I hope you are planning to return to this board and write a review. Also hope you have a better time on this cruise!

I hope you are planning to return to this board and write a review. Also hope you have a better time on this cruise!

Don't know why you would infer that I didn't enjoy the cruise particularly since my age skewed the average upwards. Further observations are at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751576

Again these are observations only - didn't mean I didn't enjoy the cruise.

Erin cruisers, just remember that lunch in the Tamarind is nothing like the dinner! We prefer the dinner there, and the lunch in the Pinnacle! I think I remember from 2 years ago that the maitre d' in the Pinnacle was a bit "superior", but the rest of the waitstaff was nice. Dblbzz, we are also waiting for our cabin assignment! I've told DH I don't care if they put us in the broom closet, as long as we get on board!

Thanks for posting your report on the Eurodam.

We'll be sailing on her in July, and looking forward to it.

In fact this weekend I just made reservations for the Pinnacle Grill and the Italian restaurant. I figure we'll have lunch in the Tamarind on the first sea day and see if we want to book a dinner there another evening.

Can the OP or another elaborate on what this "attitude" is at the PG?

Not sure what that means exactly? :confused: :confused:

We had a reservation for 12:30 pm on a sea day in the Pinnacle. The hours that day were noon to 1:30 and the earliest we could make our reservations was 12:30. We and one other party came at the same time. We were second and waited over ten minutes for the fellow who mans the front desk to return and seat us. The room was almost empty. Could have been lightly staffed that lunch. We were finally seated by sourpuss with no sorry or acknowledgement of the wait. That is my idea of attitude!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Eurodam. We were on her for our Baltic cruise last year and we too feel in love with Tamarind. Of all of our cruising, I do believe this is our favorite alternative dining at sea. We loved it.

Yes, we too are finding a younger demographic on HAL ships, but I also think it depends on the ports.

It sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing.

Cathy

Archived