Travel Insurance

fla gang

You may never need it, but if you don't have it and you have a medical emergency you will wish you had it. If you lost a close family member the day before departure and you didn't have insurance you are in trouble. Lost a close friend to cancer that had booked a 14 day Alaska with Princess. She had to canncel one week before departure. Her insurance was very expensive,but her trip was several thousand dollars and she got it all back.

We always buy it. You never know.

It's a small cost for some peace of mind.

Sorry about your friend. :(

Sorry about your friend. We always buy it, like the other poster said a small price for peace of mind.

Some folks are of the opinion that they must be indemnified against any possible loss of any of the cost of their cruise. Doesn't make sense to me, and it's not possible even with gold-plated insurance.

I never buy the stuff (gasp!)

You may never need it, but if you don't have it and you have a medical emergency you will wish you had it. If you lost a close family member the day before departure and you didn't have insurance you are in trouble. Lost a close friend to cancer that had booked a 14 day Alaska with Princess. She had to canncel one week before departure. Her insurance was very expensive,but her trip was several thousand dollars and she got it all back.

You know, we have never bought insurance. I am 61 now and am starting to think about it, especially when we go to Alaska, the Med or Hawaii again. Your thread makes one think. Thanks for posting.

The coverage we have cost less than 3% of the total cost of the cruise.

We purchase not so much to cover the cost of the cruise, but that catastrophic thing that may, ... or may not happen.

The coverage helps me totally relax while cruising, and that is worth soooo much more than 3%. ;)

I have read not to get this from the cruise line but where are some good websites to look at. We are going on another cruise in Sept and we are both in our 60.

Look at insuremytrip.com ,it compares many of them :)

we went with Travel Guard as they were one that would let you cancel due to work (we work for the postal service...one never knows with our bosses...lol)

Insuremytrip dot com. I have gotten it the last cruise and now for my upcoming cruise.

Of course it's for an emergency if I need to be flown home, etc. but I also make sure to get it within the timeframe they specify of my DEPOSIT.

That way should they deem anything due to a pre existing condition, it's still covered (don't have any that I know of but I'm not taking any chances - it's not like insurance companies love to pay out claims if they can get around it). Also then it makes their medical insurance primary as opposed to mine. Much better and timelier to get things paid I imagine since I wouldn't have to fight with the HMO.

It's worth the small amount of $45 for my upcoming cruise not to have to worry that if I feel sick, I can just go into the infirmary and get treated no problem. I don't plan on getting sick or hurt and I'm not thinking about the cost of my cruise, I'm trying to be proactive as far as getting medical care if needed. Someone had posted on another thread that it's $90 just to see the Dr. Then God knows how much else if you actually need treatment of some sort.

I'm 38 BTW and hope I don't need it, but it gives me peace of mind. We have all seen/heard stories of people getting sick, breaking bones, dying on cruise ships and I bet they thought it wouldn't happen to them either. Hopefully they were prepared. I will be.

The CruiseLine Trip Protection Plan's Medical coverage is very low and Medevac coverage is marginal, and they don't offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions.

You can generally get lower prices (especially if you're younger) and higher coverages with the so-called 3rd party Insurers such as CSA, TraveliInsured, TravelEx....which you can purchase direct on the Insurer's website or thru such sites as insuremytrip.com. To get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" you have to purchase w/in 14-21 days of your cruise deposit (CSA allows you to purchase up to final payment to get the Waiver).

Some Policies are better than others if you have kids in school, have concerns for work cancellation, etc

MedEvac coverage is (at least initially) to the nearest adequate facility, with most policies.

Ken

The CruiseLine Trip Protection Plan's Medical coverage is very low and Medevac coverage is marginal, and they don't offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions.

You can generally get lower prices (especially if you're younger) and higher coverages with the so-called 3rd party Insurers such as CSA, TraveliInsured, TravelEx....which you can purchase direct on the Insurer's website or thru such sites as insuremytrip.com. To get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" you have to purchase w/in 14-21 days of your cruise deposit (CSA allows you to purchase up to final payment to get the Waiver).

Some Policies are better than others if you have kids in school, have concerns for work cancellation, etc

MedEvac coverage is (at least initially) to the nearest adequate facility, with most policies.

Ken

I am one to always purchase insurance; however for my upcoming Glory 5 day Canadian trip (which was ridiculous low price); the 49$ Carnival insurance is about 25% of the entire cruise price; so I am thinking of cancelling it prior to my final payment.

We have purchased trip insurance for our last several vacations. This year we combined a few days at Disney with a cruise out of Port Canaveral. It cost us $100 for the two of us. We missed our connection on the flight down. we had to overnight in Newark. I filed a claim for our expenses incurred while in Newark, room and meals. The agent I spoke with was very pleasant, helpful and never made me feel like it was a nonsense claim. While our cruise was never in jeopardy it's reassuring to know other expenses can happen and they will be covered.

How long before our cruise should I buy insurance? We sail August 5 , 2013. Thank you.

Now!! I'll be sailing August 4th with my daughter and purchased a policy for both of us (she was free). I went with Travel Guard.

The coverage we have cost less than 3% of the total cost of the cruise.

We purchase not so much to cover the cost of the cruise, but that catastrophic thing that may, ... or may not happen.

The coverage helps me totally relax while cruising, and that is worth soooo much more than 3%. ;)

WetToes,

Where did you ever find such a low Cruise Insurance rate of 3% ? Is this a basic policy, not covering Emergency Med. Evac. ? Most policies I have reviewed are 5-6% of total travel costs. Please share ! :D

WetToes,

Where did you ever find such a low Cruise Insurance rate of 3% ? Is this a basic policy, not covering Emergency Med. Evac. ? Most policies I have reviewed are 5-6% of total travel costs. Please share ! :D

I just looked back at ours from last year. Travel Guard Gold policy cost $155 total for me and my husband - kids were free. Per person cruise fare was $1109 before taxes/port fees/tips. I'm not a math whiz, but it seems like 3% is the norm. Of course it could vary with age. And the insurance covered airfare too which I did not include in the $1109 figure above.

I just looked back at ours from last year. Travel Guard Gold policy cost $155 total for me and my husband - kids were free. Per person cruise fare was $1109 before taxes/port fees/tips. I'm not a math whiz, but it seems like 3% is the norm. Of course it could vary with age. And the insurance covered airfare too which I did not include in the $1109 figure above.

Thanks firemanbobswife,

I've used Travel Guard Gold before, but have always included our airfare, pre-cruise hotel, rental car, and cruise fare. I did not realize that I may be over insuring our trip. I saw trip delay was included, but if I have to cancel the entire trip, would the non-refundable airfare be covered if I did not include it in my total coverage ? It may also be our age, as we are both over 60, a total of $5,000 coverage cost $355 with Travel Guard Gold or approx. 6%.

I am one to always purchase insurance; however for my upcoming Glory 5 day Canadian trip (which was ridiculous low price); the 49$ Carnival insurance is about 25% of the entire cruise price; so I am thinking of cancelling it prior to my final payment.

It might be wise to keep it tho to cover anything unforseen while on the ship. Illness... Emergency?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WetToes,

I found it on the Insure site mentioned by a few others. My policy does cover Evac.

I found it on the Insure site mentioned by a few others. My policy does cover Evac.

It must be our ages then, as I re-quoted placing our ages in the 30's, instead of our real ages, and the price did drop significantly to around 3.5% for Travel Guard Gold.

It must be our ages then, as I re-quoted placing our ages in the 30's, instead of our real ages, and the price did drop significantly to around 3.5% for Travel Guard Gold.

Plus, if the trip cost of the kids is covered for free that will skew the overall percentage way lower.

Archived