Transfer Anchorage to Seward

Hallo!

I booked the RCCL transfer from Anchorage to Seward by train. I spent some days in Anchorage before, so the pick up point is City Center. Does anyone know where that is? Or is it possible to go direct to the train station, because my hotel offers a shuttle service there?

Hi, I grew up in the Anchorage area. City center (downtown) is over a mile away from the train station, it would be quite the walk with all your luggage. What hotel? I can tell you how far it is from the train station. If your hotel doesn't offer a shuttle, a $10 cab ride would be expected (including your bags).

I'm sure this post will be moved to the ports of call section for Alaska. :)

We caught the train to Seward from the terminal out by the airport rather than directly downtown. RCI bused us from our hotel (marriott) to the station for a 1pm trip. It was the highlight of the train segments of our land tour that began in Fairbanks. This last segment was on Alaska Railroad cars rather than the Royal Celebrity cars but it was quite comfortable and the scenery was terrific. Prior to our arrival in Alaska we had tried to book this portion but were told it was not available, and booking it separately through Alaska RR was fairly expensive. When our RCI tour guide told us it was an available option for $25 pp, we jumped at the opportunity and were definitely not disappointed.:)

Thanks for the information above.

So City Center is not a special building, but another term for downtown?

My hotel is the Ramada so probably its easier to go straight to the train station.

Ramada is on 3rd Ave, only .5 miles if you walk it. Wouldn't be bad if its just you walking, it's actually downhill to the train depot. But you'll have luggage, so I'd advise a cab to get you there, like I said, couldn't be more than a couple of bucks. I'd contact the hotel to see if their shuttle can drop you off, its so close, it's only a minute ride.

I think the question is "How far is it from the Ramada to City Center?"

Possibly the hotel could drop you off there if you wish.

"City center" is more than likely around 5th Ave & E Street, about 4-5 blocks from the Ramada. Also walkable but if the person has a lot of luggage I wouldn't recommend it.

The "cruise train" used for cruise line transfers is a special charter train, not a regular ARR train, and does not originate at the downtown Anchorage station. It leaves from the train station inside the airport. Your pick up point at City Centrer is probably to be picked up by a bus to get you out to the airport.

Any way out to the airport will work.

Hallo!

I booked the RCCL transfer from Anchorage to Seward by train. I spent some days in Anchorage before, so the pick up point is City Center. Does anyone know where that is? Or is it possible to go direct to the train station, because my hotel offers a shuttle service there?

Have you explored booking direct on http://www.alaskarailroad.com/ ?

The "cruise train" used for cruise line transfers is a special charter train, not a regular ARR train, and does not originate at the downtown Anchorage station. It leaves from the train station inside the airport. Your pick up point at City Centrer is probably a bus to get you out to the airport.

Any way out to the airport will work.

Ah, that is true during summer months only. If the Ramada hotel has a free shuttle to ANC, then there's no need to even worry about getting to the city center. The OP just needs to know when to get to the airport.

Thanks a lot at all!

Didn´t know there´s a special train from the airport. On google Earth

at 5th & E Street ist the William Egan Civic & Convention Center and

there are some pictures posted. On one of them is written "Hospitality Center for Cruise in Anchorage". So that shoud it be.

It´s about 650 meters from the Ramada away. Shouldn´t be a problem.

Does anyone know at which time this transfer train leaves (the normal leaves at 06:45 am)?

When we took the "cruise train" a few years ago, it left around 1 or 2 pm, IIRC. They'll tell you.

FYI, the cruise train leaves Seward in the morning with incoming cruise transfer passengers, the same consist then goes down to Seward in the afternoon with outgoing cruise passengers.

Have you explored booking direct on http://www.alaskarailroad.com/ ?

ARR can only book on their "Coastal Classic" train which leaves Anchorage (downtown) at 6:45 am.

The only way to book on the early afternoon "cruise train" is through the cruise line. ARR doesn't sell tickets on that themselves.

BTW, the "cruise train" goes like a quarter mile past the normal Seward station, right to the dock.

Archived