Best use of RCL Visa Points

My family and I are booked on FOS in May in a D1 aft. We have already made final payment and have prepaid gratuities for MTD.

I have approximately 45,000 points on my RCL visa. I know there are many options for using the RCI points (OBC, upgrades, free companion, etc).

What is the best way to maximize the value of these points? I don't necessarily need to use them on this upcoming cruise, because I plan to book another one. I also plan to continue earning points in the future.

Tell me how you make the most of your points.

Great question! I'm glad you asked because I am wondering the same thing. We have approx. the same amount of points as you do, and don't know if it's best to cash them in now for OBC, or to let them accumulate until we have enough for a free cruise.

My family and I are booked on FOS in May in a D1 aft. We have already made final payment and have prepaid gratuities for MTD.

I have approximately 45,000 points on my RCL visa. I know there are many options for using the RCI points (OBC, upgrades, free companion, etc).

What is the best way to maximize the value of these points? I don't necessarily need to use them on this upcoming cruise, because I plan to book another one. I also plan to continue earning points in the future.

it does not matter as the dollar value is the same. It would depend on whwther you want to pay less for a future cruise or pay less onboard this one for your gratuities, spa things, drinks,and excursions. It is worth $450 either way. If you take it this cruise as OBC and you book that next cruise you are talking about while on this cruise, the deposit is only $100pp instead of $250pp plus you will get another OBC for that future cruise because you are booking while onboard. That way you will still have another $250 left to used while on this cruise for the items that i mentioned.

I have 80,000 points. I like to use them for free companion fare or free cruise for 2. This upcoming cruise I am using 50,000 for $500 off my next cruise. I will have another 50,000 later on which I will use on my 2014 cruise which I havent booked yet.

The best use would be if you could get 2%. That would be using 25,000 for a free companion fare on a 3-4 night cruise. Or 15,000 for an upgrade from inside to oceanview which has a max value of $300 for the 15,000 points.

The best use is if you let it accumulate enough to pay for a cruise or at least a companion fare.

I've frequently used 15,000 points to upgrade a short cruise. It is one of the best bangs for your points. 15,000 and you can save up to $300 on the cost of upgradaing to a ocean view from an inside.

I just cashed in 125,000 points on a southern Caribbean cruise for 2. The points paid for both of us in an ocean view cabin and I am paying $220 each to upgrade to a balcony. Plus we still get our Diamond discount and onboard credit from the Next Cruise cert I purchased in January.

The max value for the free cruise is $2500 - so it would cover most cruises for 2 on Allure or Oasis.

I just cashed in 125,000 points on a southern Caribbean cruise for 2. The points paid for both of us in an ocean view cabin and I am paying $220 each to upgrade to a balcony. Plus we still get our Diamond discount and onboard credit from the Next Cruise cert I purchased in January.

This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for. The best ways to combine with other allowable discounts and perks to get the most bang out of the deal. ;)

thank you.

This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for. The best ways to combine with other allowable discounts and perks to get the most bang out of the deal. ;)

thank you.

That is what I had posted. See post #5:rolleyes::)

That is what I had posted. See post #5:rolleyes::)

I know how you feel. ;) Sometimes I feel like the invisible poster.

I think it was finding out he could combine it with the other discounts that caught his eye.

I know how you feel. ;) Sometimes I feel like the invisible poster.

I think it was finding out he could combine it with the other discounts that caught his eye.

Thanks, you feel my "Hey what about me!!!":eek::p

The best use would be if you could get 2%. That would be using 25,000 for a free companion fare on a 3-4 night cruise. Or 15,000 for an upgrade from inside to oceanview which has a max value of $300 for the 15,000 points.

Actually Molly 361, your "2%" confused me. If you could explain that would help. Didn't mean to appear to overlook you. Like Temple1 said, it was the combinability I'm looking for.

So, I get that you pay for say an inside, then upgrade to an outside using points. Now about the upgrade to the balcony that you would pay extra for... Do you wait for the price to drop on the balcony before you do that, or can you upgrade then wait for price drops to lower your cost?

Thank you.

The `15.000 points for upgrades are for shorter cruises between Oct and May. They can be tricky. The discount is the difference between the lowest inside and lowest outside cabin up to a max of $150 per person.

On the RCL website you can find the info under specials.

Actually Molly 361, your "2%" confused me. If you could explain that would help. Didn't mean to appear to overlook you. Like Temple1 said, it was the combinability I'm looking for.

Thank you.

If you use your points for OBC you would get 1% for your money, 15,000 points would get you $150 OBC. If you use it for an upgrade you can get up to $150 per person off depending of pricing (like Temple1 said above) which would be $300 for your 15,000 points which comes to 2% value.

If you use your 25,000 for a free companion fare on a 3-4 night cruise you can get up to $500 off, or 2%. If you use it for OBC you would get $250 OBC or 1% value.

So, I get that you pay for say an inside, then upgrade to an outside using points. Now about the upgrade to the balcony that you would pay extra for... Do you wait for the price to drop on the balcony before you do that, or can you upgrade then wait for price drops to lower your cost?

Thank you.

The `15.000 points for upgrades are for shorter cruises between Oct and May. They can be tricky. The discount is the difference between the lowest inside and lowest outside cabin up to a max of $150 per person.

On the RCL website you can find the info under specials.

The 15,000 point upgrade is for 5-7 night cruises Oct- May. And yes the pricing is tricky!!

You can do it either way. If you want a balcony now you can book it, then if you apply your books now for an upgrade you would get the money off the balcony cabin up to $300. You would have to check the difference between the lowest inside price and the lowest outside price.

For example we booked a balcony on the Oasis a long time ago. All this time the difference between the inside and oceanview has been around $100 per person which would have given us $200 off. Last week that changed to over $200 difference per person so I cashed in my points and got $300 off.

we just let our points accrue and once we reach 125,000 we get a 7 day cruise for 2-on the Allure next Feb can't wait. Last 'free' cruise was 2009-so took about 4 years to get to the 125,000

We used to use our Royal Caribbean VISA for everything. I've used it a couple of times for the 15,000 pt upgrade and we have taken a couple of free 4 nighters plus our upcoming 7 nighter. We still have about 15,000 left. Now we are using another card that reimburses cash at a better rate, so we are now putting the cash into a vacation account.

DH worked out of town so we have a lot of hotel and airline charges - they add up fast. Now, he is retired, not so quickly.

Archived