First Timer....Internet Question

redrich103

Hi

Have booked what will be our first ever cruise on Island Escape from Palma on 9th April, aware it is a smaller and more informal type of cruise but thinking not a bad way of starting and with the All Inclusive now, ideal with the kids.

So as a newbie just wondering how Wi-Fi works on cruises in general and anything specific for this ship, unfortunately I need to maintain daily internet access with laptop/ipad for my business so like to know what options I have. Do Thomson offer an inclusive package and when I am in phone signal can I use the roaming data on my mobile by tethering with the laptop ?

Any advise greatly appreciated

Thanks

I think Rebel Rouser is the one to answer your questions....I'm sure he'll be along shortly!!

We always use the free wifi ashore or internet cafes but it doesn't matter to us whether we can get online or not as we are retired. When I have sent emails using ships wifi I do compose any messages first and then just click on to send and receive so minimising the cost. Ships wifi generally is very slow in our experience and usually priced around 65 pence per minute although I'm not sure what this years charges are. :)

You have chosen well for your first cruise...Island Escape is a very friendly ship with good entertainment, good food, and all inclusive....I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks Jenny & Rebel

Maybe a daft question but am a newbie, when at sea do we have a phone signal via the ships satellite or not ? My phone contract has unlimited data you see so all I need is a phone signal, sad I know to be worrying about internet connection when away but run my own business so needs must

Any reviews or feedback yet from IE now it is all inclusive ?

Thanks Jenny & Rebel

Maybe a daft question but am a newbie, when at sea do we have a phone signal via the ships satellite or not ? My phone contract has unlimited data you see so all I need is a phone signal, sad I know to be worrying about internet connection when away but run my own business so needs must

Any reviews or feedback yet from IE now it is all inclusive ?

Although you have unlimited data, I would have thought this would be in the UK only, who are you with?

You best check with them for their roaming charges, they should have a list (and sometimes it hits a maximum per day), but on the ship, it will be higher as you will use the ships satellite connection.

Actually you will only have one sea day per week the rest of the time you are in port during the day so can save your phone calls for then and not use the maritime satellite. Just make sure your phone doesn't connect to the ships signal! not usually a problem in port... my phone usually connects automatically to a land based operator. :)

Archived