Why No Lifeguard?

Fydlstyx

Once, at the beach near our house, a 3 year old granddaughter, who could already swim pretty well and wasn't afraid of the water, just walked in and kept walking. I caught her as her eyes were going under. She was not struggling, screaming or anythingxactly wh, just quietly on her way to drowning--and I was in the water with her, just looked over to another child for a second.

People don't realize that drowning victims may just slip under with no fuss, especially small children.

This is almost exactky what happened to us, as I described in a post above. DS was almost two and had learned to 'swim' (with armbands) just a few days previously, in some hot springs in Hamnr, in New Zealand. Sitting in those hot pools he was always within reach of any of the adults in the small pools. A few days later we had moved on to the Marlborough Sounds and were staying, with our NZ extended family in a holiday 'bach'. Friends of theirs were staying in another bach, and we visited them one day. This was very remote, and only accessibly by boat - about 20 minutes by speedboat from the nearest road. My BIL and his friend were setting up the speed boat to use for watersports for the older children and my SIL, friend and myself were helping the little ones get changed and slathering them with sunblock. The only one without a specific task was DH, and he wandered out along the little jetty, lost in thought. He looked up and saw DS (who he had left under my supervision) walking out through the water towards him, with no apparent fear, and as the water got deeper he kept walking until it closed over his head! So, only seconds after I had seen DS there was a yell and a splash as DH jumped into the water and scooped DS up, who was already limp, but he did start to breath. Children have a breath-holding reflex in water which is protective, and had worked on this occasion! One of the other men had to go back into the water to rescue DH's hat (not essential) and spectacles (absolutely essential). We were so isolated that, despite the ludicrous number of medics (three doctors, two nurses and a dentist, i.e. all six adults) had he not been spotted for a very short time longer the situation could have been tragic. And he WAS being closely supervised, but unless you have one to one supervision (difficult with more children than adults) things can go wrong with just a few minutes distraction.

I suspect that the family in the Disney situation were busy 'supervising' getting the three children ready to swim, probably with each parent giving appropriate attention to the two other children and distracted momentarily from the third, when an excited young child 'couldn't wait' and wandered over to the pool, walking into deep water, with terrible consequences.

So, for those who say the parents were clearly negligent, and bear full responsibility, please remember that these things can happen in seconds, literally, and no parent has ever been 100% totally vigilant for every moment of their offspring's childhood, whatever they may say. If you had two children at a beach and one was stung by a bee, would you really keep your eye on the second one for every second?

As an aquatence of this family, I can attest that this was by no means a matter of negligence. They are wonderful carring parents. My sister inlaw has an indoor pool that this family is often invited too for various "kid friendly" functions. They always made sure all 3 of their children were well taken care of and Chase has always had his life jacket on. Anyone who is a parent probably knows of a time where they have lost track of their ambitious child for a split second- which is all it takes for tragedy to hit. Loosing sight of you child is bad enough- but to have it end like this is devastating! I pray everyday for his little body to regain what he has lost. God bless Chase and his wonderful family.

Like I quoted before, that's why they call it an accident. We truly can't blame ourselves when things like this happen, that will accomplish nothing..

We do however need to understand that there were actions that, had they been taken, would likely have prevented this unfortunate incident.

We do however need to understand that there were actions that, had they been taken, would likely have prevented this unfortunate incident.

Couldn't we say that about almost every accident. If I hadn't gone out when it was icy ...I wouldn't have fallen. If I would have just taken a second and closed the cupboard I wouldn't have banged my head into it 2 minutes later.

Still can't believe the self righteousness coming from some people. Must be nice to be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
any thing new on the child?

Unfortunately, I was reading today on the parent's blog that he suffered severe brain damage and is essentially non-responsive. At three weeks out, it is unlikely that there will be much improvement. Poor family.

Unfortunately, I was reading today on the parent's blog that he suffered severe brain damage and is essentially non-responsive. At three weeks out, it is unlikely that there will be much improvement. Poor family.

This is so horrible. Thank you for updating.

That is so sad. I'm so sorry to read this.

Couldn't we say that about almost every accident. If I hadn't gone out when it was icy ...I wouldn't have fallen. If I would have just taken a second and closed the cupboard I wouldn't have banged my head into it 2 minutes later.

Still can't believe the self righteousness coming from some people. Must be nice to be perfect.

I'll start with how sad it is to hear the update about the child.

Regarding the quote . . . That's why it's important to analyse what happened, or did not happen leading up to an event that harmed people or property. It helps to prevent it from happening again.

If thinking that way is being "perfect," well . . .

I'll start with how sad it is to hear the update about the child.

Regarding the quote . . . That's why it's important to analyse what happened, or did not happen leading up to an event that harmed people or property. It helps to prevent it from happening again.

If thinking that way is being "perfect," well . . .

Sorry to hear the update. This is a very real and tragic story.

Regarding your post that I commented on last week, that received no other comments I might add. I saw it more or less as blaming someone who has quite frankly suffered enough IMHO and will pay for their actions and more than likely beat themselves up for them for the rest of their lives.

Bad things happen to good people and good people are human and inadvertently make mistakes. I have and will, make some mistakes or bad choices even with the best intentions and I am a very careful parent. The blame game or Monday night quarterbacking or analysis or whatever word you want to call it is just not something that I feel is appropriate especially on a thread such as this.

My thoughts and prayers to Chase and his family going forward.

Heartbreaking news -- I do not think anyone on these posts meant to be judgemental, rather they emphasised the importance of vigilance - and addressed the original question, which was: "Why no lifeguards?".

Prayers and sympathy for the family.

I agree. As the Aunt of two nieces who were in car accidents (1 was 16, 1 was 18) both were left in comas with brain damage. As luck would have it, the second one (18) died after 2 weeks. At least we were able to donate her organs so others could live.

The 16 YO was not so lucky. She hung on for 8 long long long horrible months. It devastates a family in every respect. The loss of the child never goes away but the pain of living at the hospital day after day to see your child and know nothing can be done, well that haunts you forever.

The harshest words we could ever say have already been said to themselves. It's now time for support.

Sorry to hear the update. This is a very real and tragic story.

Regarding your post that I commented on last week, that received no other comments I might add. I saw it more or less as blaming someone who has quite frankly suffered enough IMHO and will pay for their actions and more than likely beat themselves up for them for the rest of their lives.

Bad things happen to good people and good people are human and inadvertently make mistakes. I have and will, make some mistakes or bad choices even with the best intentions and I am a very careful parent. The blame game or Monday night quarterbacking or analysis or whatever word you want to call it is just not something that I feel is appropriate especially on a thread such as this.

My thoughts and prayers to Chase and his family going forward.

Suggesting an assessment of what lead up to an unfortunate event isn't intended to blame anyone. This particular sad event will probably result in cruisers changing their behavior and cruise lines changing their rules and procedures. Hopefully, this will make kids safer.

I just don't buy the idea that "accidents happen," the frequency and intensity of accidents can be reduced. There are lessons for all cruisers to learn from this . . . Where would it be appropriate to talk about them?

Suggesting an assessment of what lead up to an unfortunate event isn't intended to blame anyone. This particular sad event will probably result in cruisers changing their behavior and cruise lines changing their rules and procedures. Hopefully, this will make kids safer.

I just don't buy the idea that "accidents happen," the frequency and intensity of accidents can be reduced. There are lessons for all cruisers to learn from this . . . Where would it be appropriate to talk about them?

I said my peace. Gossip on...

Archived