Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

I always love this thread! Everyone has their own opinion so this needs to be a poll rather than an open discussion. Formal for me is a sport coat and open collar shirt. For others it may be a tux. I think they should simply enforce no shorts, t shirts or open shoes on formal night. Other than that, I am ok with whatever people want to wear.

Here's what annoys me...not how people choose to dress...but that RCCL has "rules"that are meaningless. By doing this,they are imposing a penalty on the "rule-followers" by making them schlep " appropriate attire" and essentially making fools of them in the process.

RCCL should just come out and say..."Our interest in the financial bottom line requires us to accept all manner of slovenly and formerly inappropriate "dinner dress." Come in your swimsuits, your frayed jeans, your underwear. No one will be turned away. Let everyone...define themselves in whatever manner they choose. We will never confront anybody who scraped up the money to get onboard."

If it is RCCL's intention to have their dining room look like a Beach Bar...that is their decison. Drop the pretense and let the rest of us stop trying to achieve an elegance that is neither appreciated, expected, or enforced.

It is this phony pretense without enforcement that is so unfair.

I don't really let it bother me as it is ones own business as to what they wear, within reason (swimsuits, pj's and undies would be my outside tolerance limit :eek:) I figure if you want to look like you are related to Jeff Foxworthy be my guest. :D

RCCL should just come out and say..."Our interest in the financial bottom line requires us to accept all manner of slovenly and formerly inappropriate "dinner dress." Come in your swimsuits, your frayed jeans, your underwear. No one will be turned away. Let everyone...define themselves in whatever manner they choose. We will never confront anybody who scraped up the money to get onboard.

Why the assumption that people who prefer not to dress formally to eat are poor, having "scraped up the money to get onboard"?

I prefer not to wear a jacket and tie when I dine. I'm not poor. When I was an employee the people wearing ties were working retail or in banks, the rest of us, who had the cash, wore t-shirts and sneakers :)

RCI food isn't formal dining anyway, it's like wearing a tuxedo to Outback.

Here's what annoys me...not how people choose to dress...but that RCCL has "rules"that are meaningless. By doing this,they are imposing a penalty on the "rule-followers" by making them schlep " appropriate attire" and essentially making fools of them in the process.

RCCL should just come out and say..."Our interest in the financial bottom line requires us to accept all manner of slovenly and formerly inappropriate "dinner dress." Come in your swimsuits, your frayed jeans, your underwear. No one will be turned away. Let everyone...define themselves in whatever manner they choose. We will never confront anybody who scraped up the money to get onboard."

If it is RCCL's intention to have their dining room look like a Beach Bar...that is their decison. Drop the pretense and let the rest of us stop trying to achieve an elegance that is neither appreciated, expected, or enforced.

It is this phony pretense without enforcement that is so unfair.

It is also possible that the phony pretenses have been created in the mind of those that want the cruise to be something it isn't. You should accommodate everyone within reason. They took the time to state that flip-flops and shorts are not permitted, everything else goes.

Regarding the elegance of the formal night... It is great to see everyone parading in their tuxes and gowns. I really do enjoy it. I am typically standing in khakis, and a polo as I leave the specialty restaurant.

You are on a mass market cruise line, and should accept that. I for one really wish they would do away with formal night. While it is nice to see people parading around, we should all remember that the people in jeans are not rowing the boat.

If you want that, I can give coordinates for the titanic..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ok, I feel guilty for the fact that I just lost 10 minutes of my life skimming through these last 11 pages and I usually stay away from these type of "opinion" threads but here is my 2 cents since we are shooting for 12 pages:p...

Yes, I am one of those crazy people who wear $200+ jeans on casual night with a fancy tank top and do not think twice about it. What I found humorous though was on my last cruise a few weeks ago I noticed an elderly couple staring at my husband's $120 Clark leather sandals with a disapproving look. Meanwhile, the wife and husband were both sporting $5 leather bo-bos from Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, I feel guilty for the fact that I just lost 10 minutes of my life skimming through these last 11 pages and I usually stay away from these type of "opinion" threads but here is my 2 cents since we are shooting for 12 pages:p...

Yes, I am one of those crazy people who wear $200+ jeans on casual night with a fancy tank top and do not think twice about it. What I found humorous though was on my last cruise a few weeks ago I noticed an elderly couple staring at my husband's $120 Clark leather sandals with a disapproving look. Meanwhile, the wife and husband were both sporting $5 leather bo-bos from Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I love Clark's. So comfy and cheap!

Ok, What I found humorous though was on my last cruise a few weeks ago I noticed an elderly couple staring at my husband's $120 Clark leather sandals with a disapproving look. Meanwhile, the wife and husband were both sporting $5 leather bo-bos from Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What are bo-bos?

It doesn't matter if someone wears a $1000 wife-beater into the dining room. To many people, he has less "class" than the person in the Walmart sportcoat. But to those who don't know that...no explanation will help them understand.

But my point remains, why have "rules" that are NOT rules? Is RCCL trying to be something that it ceased being long ago? Then advise us all to dress as if we were going to Dennys.

It doesn't matter if someone wears a $1000 wife-beater into the dining room. To many people, he has less "class" than the person in the Walmart sportcoat. But to those who don't know that...no explanation will help them understand.

But my point remains, why have "rules" that are NOT rules? Is RCCL trying to be something that it ceased being long ago? Then advise us all to dress as if we were going to Dennys.

The only rules are no shorts,flip-flops, or sleeveless t shirts. What rules are you talking about?

Archived