Different currencies for multiple country cruise stops?

Hello,

If I'm taking a cruise to Denmark(Krone), Russia(Rouble), Estonia(Euro), Finland(Euro), and Sweden(Krona) will I need to change US dollars to all the different currencies that we will be visiting or is there any kind of universal currency that they all accept?

Thanks,

will I need to change US dollars to all the different currencies that we will be visiting or is there any kind of universal currency that they all accept?

1zd28v5.jpg

Russia requires cash, but there is an ATM in the port terminal if you have a debit card.

Hello,

If I'm taking a cruise to Denmark(Krone), Russia(Rouble), Estonia(Euro), Finland(Euro), and Sweden(Krona) will I need to change US dollars to all the different currencies that we will be visiting or is there any kind of universal currency that they all accept?

Thanks,

Yes, you will need the local currency in all of the countries. There is no universal currency. You can always use an ATM to obtain local currency.

I doubt that you can get Russian Rubles in advance - In Denmark and sweden you can pay with either Euro or US$ - accepted by most shops - public transportation and museums will require local currency - cafe/restaurants accept credit cards.

Bring Euro and US$ and get local currencies when required

I am planning on ordering each currency from my bank in advance for walking money and then using plastic the rest of the time. I believe Russia still has a controlled currency so it might not be available in advance.

1zd28v5.jpg

Russia requires cash, but there is an ATM in the port terminal if you have a debit card.

That picture provides the best answer to the OP's question about which universal currency they all accept! ;)

Just use a credit card that does not charge a fee for foreign currency conversion and you will have no worries about needing to figure out and carry around cash in all those different currencies.

Even in Russia you can pay for your tour with a credit card, so you would only need cash for miscellaneous purchases from vendors and possibly for tips.

Although I recall reading in previous messages that euros or US dollars are accepted.

As to the best method of getting cash in foreign currency, Rostocker gave good advice in another thread

*Reply from Rostocker

Unless you are spending a lot of time in one country it is usually cheaper (and safer) to withdraw cash from an ATM in each country as needed, using a debit card with a PIN, rather than to carry cash from the US.

I am planning on ordering each currency from my bank in advance for walking money and then using plastic the rest of the time. I believe Russia still has a controlled currency so it might not be available in advance.

I ordered currency from Wells Fargo, including Russian. Just ordered it so haven't gotten it yet. Only $30 worth of Russian since we will be on an inclusive tour, which we can pay for with a credit card and tip in US$. My main concern was Sweden where we will have limited time and don't want to have to look for an ATM. Supposedly one at the port but probably a long line to use it and we are planning to catch a ferry from the end of the pier so going the wrong direction. Didn't get large quantities of anything but they have a $200 minimum. and charge $15 shipping no matter how much you get.

What worked out easiest for us in this situation (needing different currencies for various ports) was changing money onboard each night before getting into the various ports (we took Travelers Checks to cash onboard)...No need to spend the time looking for an ATM or taking the chance of any problem using it.

I ordered currency from Wells Fargo, including Russian. Just ordered it so haven't gotten it yet. Only $30 worth of Russian since we will be on an inclusive tour, which we can pay for with a credit card and tip in US$. My main concern was Sweden where we will have limited time and don't want to have to look for an ATM. Supposedly one at the port but probably a long line to use it and we are planning to catch a ferry from the end of the pier so going the wrong direction. Didn't get large quantities of anything but they have a $200 minimum. and charge $15 shipping no matter how much you get.

The $15 shipping fee is waived for orders over $1000 USD.

We have used debit cards at ATMs with no problems. We have debit cards from 2different banks and I carry one and DH carries the other (just in case!). Credit cards have worked well in most shops. We make sure we have small crisp dollar bills ($1, 5, 10) to keep on hand for small purchases and tips. As we walk around town, we usually stumble on ATMs to get local currency if needed.

Yeah I need to check Chase. That is who I used last time. I'm mainly needing Danish Krone since we are spending 3 days in Copenhagen and then $100 or less of everything else. Just enough for some beer. :)

What worked out easiest for us in this situation (needing different currencies for various ports) was changing money onboard each night before getting into the various ports (we took Travelers Checks to cash onboard)...No need to spend the time looking for an ATM or taking the chance of any problem using it.

Easiest, but generally the most expensive. And getting rid of "leftovers" is tough.

Credit cards are the easiest/cheapest way to do this

Easiest, but generally the most expensive. And getting rid of "leftovers" is tough.

Credit cards are the easiest/cheapest way to do this

A very "small" difference really, just a few cents not $$'s. No need to nickel & dime, over think and over stress about your small exchanges...

Leftovers :confused: :D......We usually gauge it just right and any leftovers are kept as souvenirs...I use credit cards only in large shops /hotels etc. where I feel it's safe to do.

A very "small" difference really, just a few cents not $$'s. No need to nickel & dime, over think and over stress about your small exchanges...

Leftovers :confused: :D......We usually gauge it just right and any leftovers are kept as souvenirs...I use credit cards only in large shops /hotels etc. where I feel it's safe to do.

I've found the rate on a couple cruiselines to be a good 7-10% lower than I could get at an ATM or official "Change Place". Maybe small to you, but big to me. And still -- easier to pay with a CC or use an ATM (they are pretty easy to find in every port except SPB, and you don't really need Rubles there under most circumstances), than to wait in line on the ship and, again, perhaps be stuck with leftovers.

I've found the rate on a couple cruiselines to be a good 7-10% lower than I could get at an ATM or official "Change Place". Maybe small to you, but big to me. And still -- easier to pay with a CC or use an ATM (they are pretty easy to find in every port except SPB, and you don't really need Rubles there under most circumstances), than to wait in line on the ship and, again, perhaps be stuck with leftovers.

The cruise line was 7-10% cheaper than an ATM?? No disrespect intended, but that is hard to believe.

The ships I go on have all exchanged currency back into Sterling, or else into the next currency, as long as it was bought from them in the first place. Easy peasy. (And ATMs often charge, at least they do if you use a credit card.)

The cruise line was 7-10% cheaper than an ATM?? No disrespect intended, but that is hard to believe.

Bad wording on my part. You got 7-10% less money on the ship than you would at a fair exchange rate. See my earlier post suggesting folks not change on board, I was continuing that discussion

In Helsinki You can pay almoust everywhere with general credit cards (Master Card, Visa, American Express, Diners Club) and it is safe. Many finnish people pay all their shoppings (taxi, coffee, snacks, tickets, parking) with debit/creditcards.

Some vendors on the market place don't accept credit cards, but some do. You also need cash if You buy bus ticket from the driver, but You can buy ticket from ticket machine with credit card.

I think You don't need cash in Helsinki, but if You need, look for a yellow "OTTO"-sign to get your euros. There are "otto"-ATMs all over the city.

In Stockholm it's pretty much the same.

Archived