Is Berlin worth the long ride, or visit helsinki finland instead?

We're trying to decide if the 3 hour bus ride each way to Berlin is worth the 3 hour city tour there or choose a different cruise that goes to Helsinki Finland instead? Anyone make that long bus ride? Anyone really like Helsinki? Thanks in advance.

We took the ride from Warnemunde to Berlin. Worth it IMHO as it was the only opportunity my BIL had to visit Berlin. We had approx 5.5 hours in Berlin, not 3. :eek:

Our cruise also visited Helsinki. I liked Helsinki but I much prefer Berlin. JMHO :)

Berlin is a great city to visit - much more to see than in Helsinki - but for only 3 hours it not worth going to Berlin.

I will suggest a pre- or post-cruise visit for two to three days.

If a cruise out of Copenhagen it's easy to fly from Berlin to Copenhagen (or another city) the same say as the start of a Baltic cruise.

There was a comment regarding train detours from Warnemunde to Berlin that would extend the travel time. Don't remember the particulars but you might want to check that out.

This won't affect those taking private tours that are traveling on roads. Not sure what cruises he was looking at but our ship is in port until 10:00. We will be in Berlin from 10-4, so 6 hours. That being said, I haven't been to either Berlin or Helskini yet so can't offer an opinion as to which I would rather visit.

We did a semi private tour to Berlin with SPB, fifteen of us in an air conditioned bus. We had close to six hours in Berlin, great guide in Heather. It makes for a long whirlwind kind of day but glad we did it.

Has anyone who had never been to Berlin made the Berlin excursion and regretted it? My sense is that nearly all who made the trip are glad they made it. Admittedly, we are now talking about people who have an interest in seeing Berlin and a smaller sample than all on a Baltic cruise. However, the feedback I have heard is that Berlin, even in a short six hour window, is great.

As I just mentioned in another thread, we did not go to Berlin as I have been there already, but everyone we met, that had gone, and in all my years on this forum, I have yet to here one person say that they regretted making the trip.

As for the OP, I have never heard of spending just 3 hours in Berlin. This stop is usually one of the longest in a port, to allow for the long ride to and from Berlin. Are you sure you only get 3 hours there?.

If anyone wants to go to a city, like Berlin, and feels it may be their only chance to get there, I can assure you that if you do not go and then, when you get home, think that maybe you should have gone, you will be kicking yourself forever. If you want to see Berlin, GO FOR IT.

We did a pre and post cruise stay in London. We did the Eurostar to Paris for a day. Many people told us, Paris in 8-9 hours, no way, but for us we loved it. a lot of running around, but, as I said, we felt it was now or never and 8 hours in Paris beats no hours there.

You want to see Berlin, and Berlin should be seen, take the trip. You will be thrilled you did.

Companies like SPB Tours do an excellent job of showing Berlin as well as St Petersburg. They supply the transportation, the tour and will have you back on the ship with time to spare. Many, many wonderful recommendations for them. http://www.spb-tours.com/germany/

Cheers

Len

(Warnemunde) is usually one of the longest in a port, to allow for the long ride to and from Berlin. Are you sure you only get 3 hours there?.

If anyone wants to go to a city, like Berlin, and feels it may be their only chance to get there ....

Cheers

Len

These two points mentioned by Len are major considerations.

Yes, ships often depart Warnemunde as late as 10pm. Since you've not yet booked, check out the times that the prospective ship/s will be in port.

Berlin is worth so much more than a rushed day. I'd strongly advise Europeans to skip that journey, even if on a ship that ports at Warnemunde, & fly to Berlin for a 2 or 3 or 4 day city break on some other occasion.

But for visitors from further afield, if it's likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - even if time in the city is restricted to 3 hours - I'm sure folk will regret not taking the opportunity.

Helsinki is much less worthwhile, glad I visited but my least-favourite Baltic port-of-call.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

We get 6 hours in Berlin with our tour and that is almost as much time as in other cities. On our last cruise we only had about 6 hours in Rome but you never see anybody saying don't bother going to Rome (of course it is only about an hour with not much else to do in that port). The downside to cruising generally is that you usually don't have as much time in cities as you need to scratch the surface but the trade-off is getting to see a lot of different cities. Therefore, the problem with Berlin, in my opinion, is really the time spent getting there and getting back, not so much the lack of time there. However, we are going because not sure we will ever get another chance.

I agree with the others. If it is your only chance and you want to see it then go. I personally would like to have a land vacation in Germany and have the framework figured out (just need the $$$) so I picked a cruise that stops in Helsinki instead of stopping in Berlin. Helsinki (along with Tallinn/Riga, Stockholm, etc) is a place I'd probably not visit for a land vacation so that is why I picked it.

The 3-hour trip to and from Berlin is worth it. We went through SPB Tours and we had a good six hours in the city. We had a informative tour guide and he took us to all the major sites. It was a long day, but it we are glad we did it.

Helsinki is a nice city, but there is not much to see there. I would choose Berlin over Helsinki.

Archived