Beer from Port

Elliott0821

Hi, I’m asking this question for my DH...

Every year he tries a local beer but we never bring any back with us. This year he wants to bring some back on bored. I read some old threads on the subject but they were all dated 2010 or before..

The threads I did read state security won’t make you check beer like they do liquor, has anyone had recent experience with this?

We have never had a problem bringing a 6 pack on board from a port. Of course, I guess it depends on who is running the show. We brought a 6 pack back on board from each stop in Alaska, a local Alaskan beer each time. We did not have a problem. We just brought it on and nobody said a word. And let me say it was not because we were avoiding buying and paying for drinks on board (which I think are reasonably priced for the record, they are the same price we pay here at a bar or restaurant AND the tip is included) but we like to try new and local beers. If I remember right, we were able to mix and match some of our 6 packs. Good luck.

Be prepared for Security to tell you to check it in at the table.

But with all things Carnival this may or may not happen. Sometimes even when we are told to check it in it doesn't get checked.

He is really wanting to bring them back so he has some when we get home...

By all means we will still be purchasing drinks on the ship ( we are thinking about purchasing the cheers program) he just really likes local brews and while he wants to take some home he may want to enjoy a few on bored...

I really appreciate any insight, i posted the question on john's blog to see what he says .....

As soon as i get an answer I will let you all know

Be prepared for Security to tell you to check it in at the table.

But with all things Carnival this may or may not happen. Sometimes even when we are told to check it in it doesn't get checked.

So when you tried to bored with them they made you check it?

My husband is the same. He loves Kalik (from the Bahamas) but can not get it locally. Although bringing it all the way home is not ideal because we have to fly home. We are doing Cheers as well. they should bend the rules for Cheers people LOL :)

We have never had a problem bringing a 6 pack on board from a port. Of course, I guess it depends on who is running the show. We brought a 6 pack back on board from each stop in Alaska, a local Alaskan beer each time. We did not have a problem. We just brought it on and nobody said a word. And let me say it was not because we were avoiding buying and paying for drinks on board (which I think are reasonably priced for the record, they are the same price we pay here at a bar or restaurant AND the tip is included) but we like to try new and local beers. If I remember right, we were able to mix and match some of our 6 packs. Good luck.

Great! Trust me we will still be purchasing drinks on board he just loves a local brew.... Last year a fellow passenger said he brought on 4 at a time...

By all means we will still be purchasing drinks on the ship ( we are thinking about purchasing the cheers program) he just really likes local brews and while he wants to take some home he may want to enjoy a few on bored...

I really appreciate any insight, i posted the question on john's blog to see what he says .....

I just didn't want to get the flack from people about bringing alcohol on board as a way to not purchase from the ship. I understand completely where you are coming from and if you are going to enjoy them back home, you can check them as well. Many times, someone tells you to check it at the table and then you can just walk right by the table....just sayin'...I did it accidentally one time...and that is when I learned... :)

I just didn't want to get the flack from people about bringing alcohol on board as a way to not purchase from the ship. I understand completely where you are coming from and if you are going to enjoy them back home, you can check them as well. Many times, someone tells you to check it at the table and then you can just walk right by the table....just sayin'...I did it accidentally one time...and that is when I learned... :)

Honestly I was almost scared to ask the question becuase I didn't want people to think that... But my DH asked me again to ask so I said okay..

There are some beers we have found on trips that a speciality shop where we live will order in for him but there are some he can't get.

As for checking them... I know my hub as soon as we do he'll crave one :p

we have bought local beers while on the island and brought back on board and checked them, they hold them till last day and we picked them up and brought them home with us, dont really know how much you are allowed but we only had a few beers.

No worries then if he wants them to bring home. If he has to check them, he'll get them back on the last night to bring home. If he doesn't have to check them, he has the choice to drink them on board or to bring home.

My husband is the same. He loves Kalik (from the Bahamas) but can not get it locally. Although bringing it all the way home is not ideal because we have to fly home. We are doing Cheers as well. they should bend the rules for Cheers people LOL :)

Haha thats funny Kalik is the reason Im asking... We are going back to the bahamas this year and he wants some.

In my experience:

Returning from a port stop....

Bringing cans of beer (like a 12 pack) has never been taken away.

Brought a 6 pack of bottled beer one time, they told me to check it in.

Have also brought several 12 packs of Mt. Dew, Coke, whatever soda you like, never taken away.

Conclusion, they see the cans on the scanner, assume it soda, and on you go....if they see bottles, however, different story.

As others have said, it's hit or miss, if they decide to look closer at your cans and see beer, chances are they will take it.

I bought 6 cans of Kalik beer in Nassau to take home to a friend. I checked them in when I boarded the ship, and they were delivered to my room on the last night of sailing. This was two weeks ago on the Liberty.

In my experience:

Conclusion, they see the cans on the scanner, assume it soda, and on you go....if they see bottles, however, different story.

As others have said, it's hit or miss, if they decide to look closer at your cans and see beer, chances are they will take it.

Good to know! Thanks :) Cans it is...

Sorry I can't help with the recent experience part since the last time I did this was 2011, but I have brought 6-packs of Dos Equis on board from Cozumel on three separate trips. On this most recent 2011 trip, I also brought on a 6-pack of Caybrew from Grand Cayman without a word said. So I'm 4-for-4 on getting beer back on and not having it taken away. One time the guy looking at the scanner even said "alcohoooolllll" in a sing-song voice and kind of chuckled, then proceeded to let me go without opening the bag.

I would be prepared for them to take it, but don't be surprised if you make it back on with no issues.

Never had a problem before, but never tried to bring on more than 6 at a time. Usually they are more concerned about my to knee replacements setting off the alarm than whats in my backpack. They never even mentioned the Rum I bought in Nassau the last time. It all went in my luggage for home and I never tried to hide it. Did get a laugh at customs when I declared a 6 pack of Honduran Beer!

Kalik Gold is one of my favorites. It's stronger and has more "flavor" than the Kalik blue label. Up until a couple of years ago, it was unavailable in the US. Now, you can pick it up at many Publix supermarkets in FL. Drink as much as you want while in The Bahamas and grab some after you disembark to take home! It's cheaper in the US.

Archived