Promethazine For Seasick????

nomie

I have this left over from last years cruise when I got seasick and had to go to the medical center for a shot. They gave me these pills to take if I was still sick which thank goodness I wasn't. I was wondering if anyone takes this and does it make you tired? I have not seen this mentioned on any of the seasick topics.

I have this left over from last years cruise when I got seasick and had to go to the medical center for a shot. They gave me these pills to take if I was still sick which thank goodness I wasn't. I was wondering if anyone takes this and does it make you tired? I have not seen this mentioned on any of the seasick topics.

"When in doubt, throw it out" works in kitchens, works in medicine.

Get generic Bonine, cheap and effective.

Promethazine is generic Phenergan, a powerful anti-nausea drug. IT WILL NOT PREVENT SEASICKNESS, it will only help with the nauea/vomiting associated with it.

Phenergan also has a "sedative" effect and will make you tired and sleepy. One-half tab is like a sleeping pill for me! :)

Here is a info sheet I have on Motion Sickness Medications:

Dramamine: (Dimenhydrinate di-men-hi-drin-ate) An older motion sickness remedy. Dramamine however has substantial side effects, the most common being drowsiness. Sleeping through your cruise is almost as bad as being sick through your cruise. Need to take 3 to 4 times a day.

Bonine: Meclizine HCl (25mg.), Dramamine II, Non-Drowsy Dramamine, Antivert. Causes drowsiness in a very small percentage of patients, is very effective, has only to be taken once per 24 hours in tablets and chew tabs. It’s nothing like the original Dramamine --a totally different chemical! Check with pediatrician prior to your cruise regarding your children and any sea sickness medications. The package directions do state that this medication is for children over 12. With my kids, I gave them ½ tablet when they were 5 & 7 at about 50 lbs with no ill effects.

Both of these drugs are classed as antihistamines. Their most common side effect is drowsiness. Dramamine has a greater incidence than Bonine. These effects are exaggerated considerably with concomitant use of alcoholic beverages. READ THE PACKAGE to learn the side effects.

Bonine also has the advantage of a longer duration of action, allowing for once a day dosing. Dramamine has been used safely in children 2 and older. Both agents are usually taken about 1-2 hours before anticipated travel or activity. If you have never taken these types of medication before it’s a good idea to "try them on dry land" to avoid unforeseen reactions. These agents can also be taken for vertigo (dizziness). Normal meclizine dosage is 12.5-25mg three times a day for dizziness, so you could take two or three Bonine if needed. ALWAYS check with your pharmacist against your other medication to make sure there are no drug interactions.

Scopolamine Patch: This medicine is prescription only in the US. It is available in oral and transdermal patch formulations. This patch is placed in a hairless area behind the ear. It takes up to 6 hours to be effective and lasts for 3 days. It produces less drowsiness than Bonine, but a greater number of other side-effects including dry mouth, dizziness, ocular disturbances, disorientation, irritability (in children), slowed heart rate, psychosis, and amnesia. These effects were usually reversed when the product was removed. It has been shown to provide greater protection against motion sickness than Dramamine. If you haven't had success with the above agents, this might be choice to explore with your doctor. Wash your hands well after handling the patch. The Scopolamine will cause your pupils to dilate if you get some on your hands and then touch your eyes. This makes you sensitive to light for a few hours. Also, there have been reports some older folks not doing well with the patch. Typically these were small older women. This is because older people have thinner skin and too much of the drug got absorbed at once, and the dose is somewhat weight related for an "average adult". It is sold in a package of 4. The catch is you MUST put the patch on 4-5 hours BEFORE you travel. If you wait until you have motion sickness it will not work for several hours.

Ginger: Found in Ginger snaps and commonly used in Chinese cooking. An herbal preventative with few side effects. Ginger root has also been studied as an agent to help with nausea after surgery. It was superior to placebo in reducing the frequency post-operative nausea. There have been no formal studies with motion sickness. The effect seems to be short acting and would need to be taken at least 3 to 4 times a day.

Sea Bands: This is a wrist band that uses acupressure to stimulate a spot on your wrist that is to prevent motion sickness. We know of no scientific studies proving their effectiveness, but we have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence attesting to their effectiveness. They’re inexpensive and don’t have any side effects except that they don’t coordinate well with shimmery evening dresses. If they work for you, great.

Other prescription medications for nausea: Phenergan (promethazine), Reglan (metoclopramide), and Zofran (odansetron), are good for nausea that can happen with motion sickness, but generally won't prevent motion sickness like those listed above.

Whichever method you decide, have a great time on your cruise!

Jacquelyn Sisk, RPh :D

Promethazine tablets was what the QE2's ship doc gave out. It works wonders for vomiting; stops yur vomiting and quickly puts you to blissful sleep. It also comes as a suppository form if you can't keep the tablets down.

Archived