Pontevedra or Bayona

SF

Need help deciding on whether we should take a tour of Pontevedra or Bayona as our ship docks in Vigo, Spain.

Has anyone been to either of these places .... would like the pro's and con's of which is better.

Need help deciding on whether we should take a tour of Pontevedra or Bayona as our ship docks in Vigo, Spain.

Has anyone been to either of these places .... would like the pro's and con's of which is better.

I have been to Galicia several times but not to Bayona. Pontevedra has many more churches and museums, a good size old quarter. Bayona is smaller but travel time to get there is less than half the time it will take you to get to Pontevedra. Of course even with a longer bus ride the Galician countryside is green and very scenic and the ride should be pleasant.

Vigo also has an old quarter which is very nice though much smaller than Pontevedra. Vigo also has the best beaches though the water will probably be on the cool or cold side.

All three should have fresh, wonderful seafood. :)

I have been to Galicia several times but not to Bayona. Pontevedra has many more churches and museums, a good size old quarter. Bayona is smaller but travel time to get there is less than half the time it will take you to get to Pontevedra. Of course even with a longer bus ride the Galician countryside is green and very scenic and the ride should be pleasant.

Vigo also has an old quarter which is very nice though much smaller than Pontevedra. Vigo also has the best beaches though the water will probably be on the cool or cold side.

All three should have fresh, wonderful seafood. :)

Additionally, I looked up Bayona and found:

"Baiona has a lot of charm with a quaint fishing port, a number of small but appealing beaches, plus an old town that sits just behind the main seafront area. There are also many small beaches along the coastline within close proximity to Baiona and this is one of the reasons why it is so popular with summer visitors." (I.E. don't go in August - too crowded).

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. We aren't planning on visiting any beaches just basically want to tour and stop for a snack.

We still haven't decided which area to visit. Some say the scenery in Bayona is nicer but Pontevedra is more of a touring town.

Guess we'll keep researching and read what others say. Still have some time before we have to book something.

Bayona castle is stunning, the beach is simply ok and it has a few old street. But Pontevedra is one of the finnest old town of Galicia. It s called small Compostela. It would be my choice.

Archived