Drinking water hazard in Turks & Caicos

FIRELT5

We hope to be going there next month and thinking no way do we do anything other than bring off our own water and eat on the ship.

Yep and when ashore try not to touch your face

That's some serious poop issue

the brand ambassador promised an update on his page about the ships calling on grand turd once again. i see he's gone into hiding once again without that update or i missed it.

i did see some other sources stating some carnival ships returning there next week, but are they serious with a potential cholera outbreak or even epidemic just waiting to happen?

We will be there in June and am now rethinking the flo rider for the Grandchildren. I imagine you drink a lot of water on that thing as you are tossed about. I am even rethinking going into port. I hate that but hate to get sick even more as we have our family vacation planned to the Dominican Republic when we get back and I don't want to miss that.

Oh man, don't even chance the Flo-rider. Stay on the ship. Carnival should pull the H out of GT. They invested a lot but the cost will just be passed along to us, anyway. It's either take the loss or build a new sanitation system for that end of the island. Yah.

IMHO the bigger issue is not what you do but everyone else.. 2000+ passengers going into the port and you know not all 2000+ will pay attention to warnings no matter how many times they are repeated. They bring it back to ship and then the beginning if noro is begun. You can't control what everyone else does.

The port needs to stay closed.

Okay, so, not to sound stupid, but is the POOL water okay? I wasn't sure if the pool water is salt water brought in from the ocean (like they do on the ships) or what. I was planning on bringing bottled water with me and not eating any of the overpriced food anyway, but we have a poolside cabana and I'd like to use the pool!

I agree. The port should NOT be opened. And as I said in another post yesterday, it disappoints me that Carnival would put it's guests in this position.

Gina

IMHO the bigger issue is not what you do but everyone else.. 2000+ passengers going into the port and you know not all 2000+ will pay attention to warnings no matter how many times they are repeated. They bring it back to ship and then the beginning if noro is begun. You can't control what everyone else does.

Okay, so, not to sound stupid, but is the POOL water okay? I wasn't sure if the pool water is salt water brought in from the ocean (like they do on the ships) or what. I was planning on bringing bottled water with me and not eating any of the overpriced food anyway, but we have a poolside cabana and I'd like to use the pool!

It is a freshwater pool. It is no more sanitary than any other public pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the brand ambassador promised an update on his page about the ships calling on grand turd once again. i see he's gone into hiding once again without that update or i missed it.

i did see some other sources stating some carnival ships returning there next week, but are they serious with a potential cholera outbreak or even epidemic just waiting to happen?

I've not read anything to indicate that the illness is cholera, although some of the symptoms are similar. If it was indeed cholera, I would think the entire island would be under some sort of quarantine imposed by the health ministry.

We will be there in June and am now rethinking the flo rider for the Grandchildren. I imagine you drink a lot of water on that thing as you are tossed about. I am even rethinking going into port. I hate that but hate to get sick even more as we have our family vacation planned to the Dominican Republic when we get back and I don't want to miss that.

I would skip the pool altogether and head to a nearby beach. Let the kids play in the sand and splash around in the ocean. Take bottled water to drink, and eat when you get back on the ship.

Although there may be some similar symptoms, the illness has NOT been identified as a norovirus. Based on what I've read, the illness is not passed from person to person. It apparently is being contracted from a contaminated water source on the island. The island's health ministry and the cruise line can only do so much to make people aware of the situation, and to recommend drinking only bottled water. Quite honestly, we're looking forward to our upcoming visit there. As golfadj said, we'll be taking bottled water with us, and eat on the ship.

There is no way I would get off the boat . I got sick from Grand Turk once and it was awful.

Me too. Last year, in April. And, while I can't say WHAT caused it, reading all of these threads now, I would NOT get off the ship. JMO:rolleyes:

Me too. Last year, in April. And, while I can't say WHAT caused it, reading all of these threads now, I would NOT get off the ship. JMO:rolleyes:

It's fine to get off the ship. Just take water from the ship and don't eat or drink anything from the island.

I don't think the issue is Noro - which is a virus and very contagious. If it's bacterial - like it sounds, then it's not contagious. Think Montezuma's Revenge - if you don't indulge you don't get sick. I'm certainly not an expert - but I've been doing a lot of reading and research on this because we are scheduled to stop there in June.

I was looking forward to sitting by the pool and sipping a Margarita. I'm thinking bottled beer and maybe just a trip to the gift shop. I have some concerns about the water in the pool.

I did read that they tested the water and the tests came back negative so IDK!

I don't think the issue is Noro - which is a virus and very contagious. If it's bacterial - like it sounds, then it's not contagious. Think Montezuma's Revenge - if you don't indulge you don't get sick. I'm certainly not an expert - but I've been doing a lot of reading and research on this because we are scheduled to stop there in June.

I was looking forward to sitting by the pool and sipping a Margarita. I'm thinking bottled beer and maybe just a trip to the gift shop. I have some concerns about the water in the pool.

I did read that they tested the water and the tests came back negative so IDK!

Grand Turk is fine...the issue is the cruise center...so when you dock..you don't have to stay at the port if you don't want to...you can walk next door to White Sands Resort or all the other bars and fun places along the beach...

Archived