Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

retiredand happy,

Thank you for such a detailed, and helpful, particularly with the odessawalks website, response.

Perhaps Hapag-LLoyd has retained Yalta, and Sevastopol in the online itinerary in the hope that by September of next year the situation in the region will have become normalised.

The listed itinerary also features Sochi in Russia.

It will be disappointing if Yalta and Sevastopol are substituted, but it will not be a deal breaker.

Constanta might provide me with an opportunity to see more of Romania.

I am looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with the superb Europa 2.

retiredand happy,

Thank you for such a detailed, and helpful, particularly with the odessawalks website, response.

Perhaps Hapag-LLoyd has retained Yalta, and Sevastopol in the online itinerary in the hope that by September of next year the situation in the region will have become normalised.

The listed itinerary also features Sochi in Russia.

It will be disappointing if Yalta and Sevastopol are substituted, but it will not be a deal breaker.

Constanta might provide me with an opportunity to see more of Romania.

I am looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with the superb Europa 2.

Sochi was also a part of our trip. It was an interesting visit. There was one German tour to the olympic site, but they did not offer it in English. When I asked our guide about missing it, she laughted and said, "why would you want to travel over 1 hour on a bus to see an empty building when you can see all the beautiful sights in Sochi?" Our English speaking guide filled up our time with a walking tour of the city, a tour to the Sanatoriums and a tour of the botanical gardens. I can't say my visit changed my opinion of Putin:), but the people were very friendly and the visit was well worth the time. I have a nice picture of the Europa2 sitting in the port in front of the olympic rings. When I look at it, it brings back good memories.

Hopefully things will calm down so you can see at least some of the Ukraine. I feel sorry for the locals in those cities, because so much of their economy was based on tourism.

The review by f2s makes interesting reading.

While I agree that soundproofing between staterooms is disappointing, the review does not alter my opinion that the Europa 2 is a superb ship with staff for whom nothing is too much trouble, and with food that is truly excellent.

Very interesting review. Some things were hard to dispute (the mattresses were 2 pieces to make a king bed). I never asked for the senior sommelier, so I can't attest to whether he had a menu to discuss. My neighbors must have been boring because I didn't hear a peep out of them. My room was always spotless and I suspected that there were little elves everywhere because as I left something out of place, the little elf put it back where it belonged. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I ate my weight in lobster. I was impressed that they took the time to move the balcony cushions inside every night and put them back out every morning. I was so impressed at the clean crisp look of the senior staff. I even commented to other guests, who I made friends with, that the staff must change uniforms 3 times a day to keep that great starched look. They looked so professional compared to other cruise ships that I have traveled on. I guess the bottom line is we all have different expectations when we travel. I was so easily impressed with the Europa2 that I am going back in 5 months for more lobster.

Very interesting review. Some things were hard to dispute (the mattresses were 2 pieces to make a king bed). I never asked for the senior sommelier, so I can't attest to whether he had a menu to discuss. My neighbors must have been boring because I didn't hear a peep out of them. My room was always spotless and I suspected that there were little elves everywhere because as I left something out of place, the little elf put it back where it belonged. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I ate my weight in lobster. I was impressed that they took the time to move the balcony cushions inside every night and put them back out every morning. I was so impressed at the clean crisp look of the senior staff. I even commented to other guests, who I made friends with, that the staff must change uniforms 3 times a day to keep that great starched look. They looked so professional compared to other cruise ships that I have traveled on. I guess the bottom line is we all have different expectations when we travel. I was so easily impressed with the Europa2 that I am going back in 5 months for more lobster.

I had a conversation with the senior sommelier one lunchtime in the Serenissima when, on the basis of what I told him I liked in a red wine, his recommendation, without reference to a wine list, was spot on.

Personally, I did not find the wine book's listing of over 500 wines confusing.

In the Weltmeere, I would not expect the senior sommelier to walk around with a wine book as surely a guest seeking advice would already have one to hand.

As for time and again finding the food disappointing, for me the food, no matter which venue, was always a highlight.

In the Weltmeere one can order off menu, and in fact one can even do so in the Yacht Club.

With regard to the speciality restaurants, I found it easier to make an evening reservation during lunch time.

Any reservation was always confirmed in writing.

I agree with you that the servicing of the stateroom was first class.

Edited by English Voyager

Seems I was on the same trip as f2s although it is hard to know if we saw each other. As for the beds, when we went to deck ten the bed looked the same however it had the motors and remote on each side to raise and lower the foot and head so it was far from cheap. There were things I did not like also but it was more the style of the trip, not service, food ect. I think I would like it better on port intensive trip

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I just received a letter from Karl Pojer, Chief Executive Officer of Hapag Lloyd thanking me for filling out the on board customer survey at the end of my cruise. I realize that it is a form letter however I am impressed at the ongoing follow up and attention to detail this line shows.

about f2s's review of Europa 2, as we are booked on her at the end of Oct. 2015. But then I read his/her other 2 reviews and it seems he is not easily pleased -- or perhaps is easily disappointed. So I will continue to be excited about our cruise and just hope there are some congenial English speakers!

They use 1.3 as the rate. I wonder if you pay in Euros?

Unfortunately this site will not allow me to post a link to Hapag-Lloyd's website.

For cruises prior to the 1st April 2015 the Hapag-Lloyd website quotes fares solely in Euros.

After the 1st April 2015 fares are quoted in Euros, British Pounds, US Dollars, and Swiss Francs.

As an example if we take cruise EUX 1528

For a Category 2 Veranda/Ocean Suite, the fare is quoted as

Euros: 8230

British Pounds: 7000

US Dollars: 10700

Thus, Hapag-Lloyd for the UK fare is using an exchange rate of 1GBP=1.175 EUR.

The current exchange rate is 1GBP=1.313 EUR.

If the current rates of exchange were to be used the fare would be:

Euros: 8230

British Pounds: 6267

US Dollars: 9473

So clients outside of the Euro Zone are being financially penalised.

Edited by English Voyager

I would not worry, we found many people that spoke English and were happy to chat, just like any line. I guess the difference was on the other trips we took English Was the primary language, here it is German.

• 2 weeks later...
Sochi was also a part of our trip. It was an interesting visit. There was one German tour to the olympic site, but they did not offer it in English. When I asked our guide about missing it, she laughted and said, "why would you want to travel over 1 hour on a bus to see an empty building when you can see all the beautiful sights in Sochi?" Our English speaking guide filled up our time with a walking tour of the city, a tour to the Sanatoriums and a tour of the botanical gardens. I can't say my visit changed my opinion of Putin:), but the people were very friendly and the visit was well worth the time. I have a nice picture of the Europa2 sitting in the port in front of the olympic rings. When I look at it, it brings back good memories.

Hopefully things will calm down so you can see at least some of the Ukraine. I feel sorry for the locals in those cities, because so much of their economy was based on tourism.

Hapag-Lloyd has today confirmed that the itinerary for the Europa 2 Cruise EUX 1528, due to commence on the 21 September 2015,has been amended.

Ukraine, and Russia are now omitted, and Cyprus, and various Greek islands are now featured.

Additionally, fares have been increased.

Has anyone tried to get H-L to permit making payments in Euros as an American? We had to pay the deposit in dollars, and I am sure will have to do the same for final payment. I am thinking of asking my t.a. to go to bat and see if they will permit payment in Euros, or make a dollar adjustment, or perhaps an OBC.

I wonder if anyone as tried this? Frankly, I fully expect to fail!

Has anyone tried to get H-L to permit making payments in Euros as an American? We had to pay the deposit in dollars, and I am sure will have to do the same for final payment. I am thinking of asking my t.a. to go to bat and see if they will permit payment in Euros, or make a dollar adjustment, or perhaps an OBC.

I wonder if anyone as tried this? Frankly, I fully expect to fail!

On numerous occasions I have raised, both with my TA and direct with Hapag-Lloyd, the question of the poor rate of exchange used by Company with regard to the non Euro fares quoted on their website.

My TA recently advised that they were attempting to get Hapag-Lloyd to agree to amending the TA's contract to permit payment in Euros, but so far I have not heard anything more on the subject.

Depending on the length of the cruise, a beverage OBC should be automatically applied.

If back to back cruises are booked, each cruise will have a beverage OBC whose amount will be dependent on the length of the individual cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
What is HL doing for non Euro people now that the exchange is about one to one?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

As far as UK clients are concerned, Hapag-Lloyd's website is still utilising an exchange rate of Euros1.175=£1.

The current rate is Euros1.408=£1.

I have raised this subject with Hapag-Lloyd in Germany, and I am currently awaiting a reply.

I have addressed my e-mail to Michael Steffl, who is the Manager, Sales Management International.

If you feel inclined to write, his e-mail address is

michael.steffl@hlkf.de