Dicapac

Has anyone used the Dicapac with their digital camera? There are good reviews on Amazon but I'm a little nervous getting it. I have a really good digital SLR, which I of course wouldn't take anywhere near the water or beach, then I have a good point and shoot Casio. That's the one I was thinking of for beach and snorkeling. I would rather not spend the money for another camera, but I don't want to find out that the casing I put my Casio in isn't completely water tight! Also, if you've used it, how do pictures look? I can't imagine they would be perfectly clear after shooting through a layer of plastic. Any opinions will be helpful. Thanks.

My opinion comes from not actually using this product, so take that for what it is worth. But I cannot imagine putting any expensive camera into one of those, except perhaps if you are using the camera around the water and don't intend to immerse it.

They would be fine for keeping water from splashing on the camera, but I would not trust it in the water. I am sure there are those that do without issue, but I wouldn't with my gear.

I've used one - like awboater I simply do not trust them for my expensive cameras, even if they truly might be good enough for them - that's my own issue! I have a subcompact camera I don't use often, but I keep around mostly for this type of duty - it's a fairly nice, slimline camera but I just use DSLRs and mirrorless cameras much more often - I bought a DiCaPac for the subcompact to experiment because I wouldn't be devastated if it ended up failing. Most of my tests of it have been in the pool, rather than ocean - just because I haven't brought it to a beach yet. But the tests diving down and even jumping into the pool with the camera, bringing it to depths of about 8-10 feet, have me feeling pretty confident in using it for beach, swim, and snorkel conditions without fear. I don't know that I'd try scuba with it, keeping it under for long periods of time...but if you're mostly looking for splashproof and light underwater & swimming protection, it should be perfectly safe as long as you follow the proper procedure for sealing it when you first put the camera in.

Indeed the plastic in front of the lens, like any additional element, does cost a bit of quality, but if you are careful in how you align it, keeping wrinkles away from the lens shooting area, and keep the lens pressed closely to the plastic to avoid glare or reflection, it will still output decent quality.

This isn't an underwater shot, but was taken from my pool and shot through the DiCaPac, just to give an idea that you can still get very decent quality through the plastic window:

original.jpg

I've used both My Aqua Case and the dicapac, I like the aqua case better. http://www.myaquacase.com/home.html

The aqua case fits the camera much better, there are no wrinkles to worry about. It's been a while since I used it, but here are a couple of pics. I use it with a point and shoot, not an expensive dsl.

P4300098.jpg

untouched

P43000811.jpg

Corrected for color.

Vic

Archived