?'s about P.G. cruise and post or pre lodging, 2 week sale

Dunner

Oh, and I suppose I should weigh-in on Travel Insurance.

I would NEVER travel without it. Especially when you are a very long helicopter ride from a major hospital. This year, I took the a la carte option from Travel Guard (My TravelGuard) and selected exactly the coverage I wanted. I have used Alliance in the past and once took the ship's offering. You can usually do better from a third-party.

IMHO evacuation insurance = yes, other insurance not so much.

Medevac from that region would be about $150,000 - $200,000. From NY we organized a flight to India a couple of years ago for $250,000. Medjetassist, and I have no affiliation with them, sells reasonably priced medevac policies only.

Many evacuation plans cover flights to the nearest hospital that can provide your care. From FP that would probably be the west coast of the US. That is nice but I would be on my own dime to get back to the east coast. Read the policy closely.

I have good health insurance and don't need to pay extra. Of I had to cancel the trip it would really suck but I could afford to eat the cost, after all, I have already decided that I can afford the trip. I have found that due to the relatively high cost of this cruise that insurance is in the $600-$1000 per person range. I would rather gamble and save the insurance dollars for another trip.

I have found that due to the relatively high cost of this cruise that insurance is in the $600-$1000 per person range. I would rather gamble and save the insurance dollars for another trip.

I got $1,000,000 Emergency Evacuation and maxed most everything else for under $500 for TWO people. The cost might vary according to your cruise length and cost.

I went to insuremytrip.com and used a 13 day trip to FP with a total cost of $10,000 for two people and the least expensive plan that had the million in evacuation was $455. One million is probably excessive but even $500,000 was in the mid $300 per person. These policies only transport you to the closest hospital and only if the insurance company feels it is necessary. They could have you stay in a local hospital for a week and then put you on a commercial plane.

IMHO if you go on more than one trip per year something like Med Jet which covers you for a full year vs. one specific trip and offers a better plan might be advisable.

Obviously the best bet is to stay healthy:)

I went to insuremytrip.com and used a 13 day trip to FP with a total cost of $10,000 for two people and the least expensive plan that had the million in evacuation was $455. One million is probably excessive but even $500,000 was in the mid $300 per person. These policies only transport you to the closest hospital and only if the insurance company feels it is necessary. They could have you stay in a local hospital for a week and then put you on a commercial plane.

IMHO if you go on more than one trip per year something like Med Jet which covers you for a full year vs. one specific trip and offers a better plan might be advisable.

If you put in a price of a dollar, you won't have cancellation insurance, but you get full medical and evacuation benefits. For the two of us, in our mid -fifties, it is $56 in total. Not a bad deal.

The plan that we purchased for an $11,000 trip was $489 for two people and includes a "Hospital of Choice Upgrade".

Archived