Mendenhall Glacier

alimithani19

Hello Everyone,

We are in port on Thursday May 2 from 7 AM to 10 PM. My wife and I are both 30 yrs old and want to mainly do a hike to see the Mendenhall Glacier. The cruise ship does provide a excursion for $84.99 pp for a guides choice hike but from what I have read we can take a bus to the visitor center for $16 pp rt and do a hike ourselves.

Trying to decide which option to go with. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ali

Hello Everyone,

We are in port on Thursday May 2 from 7 AM to 10 PM. My wife and I are both 30 yrs old and want to mainly do a hike to see the Mendenhall Glacier. The cruise ship does provide a excursion for $84.99 pp for a guides choice hike but from what I have read we can take a bus to the visitor center for $16 pp rt and do a hike ourselves.

Thanks,

Ali

That seems to be a nice long port day for you.

With ship excursions, they are on a schedule they are held to so you may not have the time you wish to hike where you want to. I'm guessing, taking the bus yourself and creating your own excursion would be the best bet for you and your wife. That way you could spend as much time in the area of that you like.

Mendenhall is a bit of a drive from the cruise port, so take that into consideration. And unless you know a fair bit about glaciers, it's extremely helpful to have a guide who can describe what you're seeing. It's one shore excursion we are so glad we took, and one we still talk about years later.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,

Ali

First off, what you are looking at is the short Trail of Time, I will speculate? WHAT exactly is the description you are looking at? The East Loop is going to be closed. IF you are looking at Glacier access, you are going to have to go from the west side, which also is NOT what you are looking at or where the shuttle bus goes. Again, you may be too early for that tour too. IF you want to look at the glacier access, you need experience, equiptment and a guide. Above and Beyond is the vendor, so check and see if you are too early.

The Nugget Falls trail, is easy, allow an hour and would be open.

Find out about the trails, and determine, what you are considering. Available through their website.

We are on the Radiance of the Seas and they offer a tour to Mendenhall with a city tour included. How far does the tour take you into Mendenhall? Do you hike on the Nugget falls trail?

Getting to MG is super easy. The blue bus picks up at the docks near the main downtown area and will take you to the glacier. Cost is $8 pp each way. The bus picks up on a continuous basis. Be sure to hike to Nugget Falls which is adjacent to the glacier. It is a easy hike now that the trail is in. We are doing this plan for the 3rd time.

Thanks everyone. I think we are going to go ahead and book the ships excursion.

Ali

Is there a reason, you feel you have to take a "tour"? You may not realize what this area really is? Also with being too early for some trails, this tour, is already lacking.

We are on the Radiance of the Seas and they offer a tour to Mendenhall with a city tour included. How far does the tour take you into Mendenhall? Do you hike on the Nugget falls trail?

These combo tours are lucky to have a 45 minute stop at Mendenhall. So, no, you will not likely have time to get back and forth Nugget Falls, on your own, unless you really move. A simple solution would be- IF this is your last stop, just dump the tour, and take a shuttle bus back to the dock. You are out of luck if it's not the last stop.

Take the bus. You can pick it up right at the dock under the tramway and it is very reasonable ($16 pp rt?). You can spend as much time as you want at the glacier as the bus companies have buses coming and going round the clock.

Is there a reason, you feel you have to take a "tour"? You may not realize what this area really is? Also with being too early for some trails, this tour, is already lacking.

hey budget queen,

so this is our first trip to Juneau and we figured we'd be better off going to see the glacier with a guide and learn a few things about the area then rather just walking it on our own.

Ali

Yeah...we took the nuggets falls trail after our morning whale watching trip..the distance was quite long for a return trip as we need to catch our bus back to the port.. But it was enjoyable! :)

First off, what you are looking at is the short Trail of Time, I will speculate? WHAT exactly is the description you are looking at? The East Loop is going to be closed. IF you are looking at Glacier access, you are going to have to go from the west side, which also is NOT what you are looking at or where the shuttle bus goes. Again, you may be too early for that tour too. IF you want to look at the glacier access, you need experience, equiptment and a guide. Above and Beyond is the vendor, so check and see if you are too early.

The Nugget Falls trail, is easy, allow an hour and would be open.

Find out about the trails, and determine, what you are considering. Available through their website.

It would seem like the Shuttle Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier and then get some info and advice from the Visitor's Center Rangers, would be the way to go. They could probably advise you best on hikes for that day and you can stay out at the Glacier for as long as you'd like or at least until the last shuttle returns to the Cruise Ship docks. :)

hey budget queen,

so this is our first trip to Juneau and we figured we'd be better off going to see the glacier with a guide and learn a few things about the area then rather just walking it on our own.

Ali

I am just offering a superior alternative option. Guided tours via the cruiselines, are, frankly, lacking. They are for everyone, and very limited. If you want to "learn a few things", taking the time NOW, would enhance your trip, by going to the Mendenhall web site. The "guided" tours, use the SAME established trails, they aren't making new ones. As I've already said, most of the time, it is the Trail of Time. There is a detailed guide sheet, which is what the "guide" is going to use, available online.

I've gone right past these groups, many times.

I have written several times re this post. My suggestions are due to your interests, which this tour is going to be minimal, and being younger, with no mobility limitations. I do think, the "hike" is going to be more of a walk, with frequent stops. You may get more, by checking the ranger schedules. Especially if you are interested in the closest glacier view, I have not seen any of the guided tours, use Nugget Falls trail, which you would miss.

I am just offering a superior alternative option. Guided tours via the cruiselines, are, frankly, lacking. They are for everyone, and very limited. If you want to "learn a few things", taking the time NOW, would enhance your trip, by going to the Mendenhall web site. The "guided" tours, use the SAME established trails, they aren't making new ones. As I've already said, most of the time, it is the Trail of Time. There is a detailed guide sheet, which is what the "guide" is going to use, available online.

I've gone right past these groups, many times.

I have written several times re this post. My suggestions are due to your interests, which this tour is going to be minimal, and being younger, with no mobility limitations. I do think, the "hike" is going to be more of a walk, with frequent stops. You may get more, by checking the ranger schedules. Especially if you are interested in the closest glacier view, I have not seen any of the guided tours, use Nugget Falls trail, which you would miss.

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback. We are doing more research and see if we can find out the ranger schedule.

My son & husband would like to do this tour, but i would rather do the whale watch tour. Are we going to be disappointed?

Also, my husband his walking limitations. Is this tour doable for a person with limts? Can he take a walker / scooter on the tour?

Thanks for any help understanding more about what this tour is.

My son & husband woulds like to do this tour, but i would rather do the whale watch tour. Are we going to be disappointed?

Also, my husband his walking limitations. Is this tour doable for a person with limts? Can he take a walker / scooter on the tour?

Our cruise is the last week of may.I have the same issues. My husband has walking limitations too so hiking is not an option. We were thinking of booking the float tour but after reading the reviews, we may not even get to have a good view of the glacier. If it is choice between a glacier tour and whale watching, I'd rather do the latter.

There is a detailed guide sheet, which is what the "guide" is going to use, available online.

I *think* this may be the guide sheet, but BQ can set me straight if it's not. After running into considerable difficulty tracking it down online, thought I'd post a direct link.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5401531.pdf

Happy Trails!

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback. We are doing more research and see if we can find out the ranger schedule.

We are also interested in a Ranger led hike. Let me know if you are able to get a schedule ahead of time. I can't seem to find anything online.

My son & husband would like to do this tour, but i would rather do the whale watch tour. Are we going to be disappointed?

Perhaps you can do a combo whale watching/Mendenhall glacier tour so you can have the best of both. Instead of doing a guided tour at the glacier, you can do your own walk, within your husband's limitations. You and your son could walk all the way out to the falls, even if your husband can't quite make it. He could go out as far as the photo point or explore the visitor center while you walk.

Perhaps you can do a combo whale watching/Mendenhall glacier tour so you can have the best of both. Instead of doing a guided tour at the glacier, you can do your own walk, within your husband's limitations. You and your son could walk all the way out to the falls, even if your husband can't quite make it. He could go out as far as the photo point or explore the visitor center while you walk.

That is what I was thinking also. Do you know if there is a charge to go to Mendenhall Glacier if we do a self tour? I am asuming there is parking for people if we drove ourselves up to it?

Again, rethinking our trip once again. It is going to kill me for the next 2 months changing all our plans.

What rental car places are near port of where RCCL docks?

That is what I was thinking also. Do you know if there is a charge to go to Mendenhall Glacier if we do a self tour? I am asuming there is parking for people if we drove ourselves up to it?

Again, rethinking our trip once again. It is going to kill me for the next 2 months changing all our plans.

There is a small fee ($3 ?) if you want to go into the visitor center, but just exploring the area on your own is free. There's plenty of parking. Sorry, I can't help with the rental car, but it's been discussed on this forum a lot. Someone else will surely be able to tell you.

Avis has an office in the Gold Belt Hotel, within a 1/4 mile of where the Cruise Ship docks are. I called them directly and they gave me a free upgrade and $10 off the Internet Rate.

We are also interested in a Ranger led hike. Let me know if you are able to get a schedule ahead of time. I can't seem to find anything online.

The ranger activites, haven't been posted way in advance, in the past. They are based on staff interests, and probably you are going to be best, just checking out what is available when you get there.

All the trails are WELL marked, and easy to follow.

Archived