Buy excursions from Carnival or wait to book in port?

alimithani19

Hey Everyone,

I think we have have narrowed our excursions to the following 3.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Guides Choice Adventure Hike - $85 pp

Skagway - Chilkoot Horseback Adventure - $170 pp

Ketchikan - Back country 4x4 Jeep & Canoe Safari - $170

Those whom have done these excursions before. Would you recommend biting the bullet and paying cruise prices or wait to book these in port or are these even available to book same day in port and is the price considerably cheaper (20 - 30 percent less?)

My wife and I are on the Carnival Miracle 4/29 sailing and scheduled to be the only ship in port on all 3 stops.

Thanks for your help.

-Ali

I haven't been to AK yet, but I can tell you what we are planning.

In Juneau, we are taking the blue bus to Mendenhall ($8/person one way) and then hiking up to at least Nugget Falls. You may want to do a search and see if you can book a guide at the Visitor Center. I'm not sure about that part, but for $32 for you and your wife to travel to & from Mendenhall that's a chunk of change saved over the Carnival excursion. Even if you're charged for a guide, surely it's not enough to wipe through the savings.

Skagyway - we're doing Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (train up/bus back) - so can't help there.

Ketchikan - can't help you there either as we are doing a flight seeing excursion with Michelle from Island Wings.

If there is an excursion you just HAVE to do, I would book now rather than wait - but I'm a little OCD like that. Also you may want to do a little more research and see if Chilkoot offers the horseback excursion independent of the cruise line. I know I've seen the 4x4 in Ketchikan offered independently, but I don't remember the price.

I haven't been to AK yet, but I can tell you what we are planning.

In Juneau, we are taking the blue bus to Mendenhall ($8/person one way) and then hiking up to at least Nugget Falls. You may want to do a search and see if you can book a guide at the Visitor Center. I'm not sure about that part, but for $32 for you and your wife to travel to & from Mendenhall that's a chunk of change saved over the Carnival excursion. Even if you're charged for a guide, surely it's not enough to wipe through the savings.

There is no "up" Nugget Falls is a lake path, dead end, level. There are no guides that can be picked up/fee at Mendenhall. There are various ranger programs.

This isn't the Caribbean. You likely will NOT have walk up availability for any of these tours. They are limited in size and probably will be full. Tours at the dock, rarely include anything like these. They are more "bus" large group activities.

I already suggested you FIND out, what "guided" tour you are looking at. Most of the time, it is the simple, easy Trail of Time. And unless you are really walking challenged, and can't follow a path yourself, a VERY lacking costly "tour". You do NOT book any "guides" at the Visitor Center, if you want a guide, you are going to have to bring one in. It is a Federal park, not a commercial area. There are scheduled FREE ranger programs, that may involve a hike. The activities vary daily.

I don't think you realize what the area involves, first you are going too early for the East Loop Trail to be open. The Trail of Time may also be mud/snow covered. Nugget Falls will be open, which is a simple walk along the lake, you will pass Photo Point. Have you looked at the online trail information? Clearly detailed.

In Ketchikan, if you can just pick up the road trip, would be of benefit, as any canoe trip is going to be very tame.

Archived