Elite /Elite +

mcrcruiser

I've never taken a cruise less then 7 days and that seemed to short.

Well then, assuming you take 7 day cruises, under the new system it would take you 25 cruises to become D+, under the old system you would become D+ after the 24th cruise. If your cruises are longer than 7 days you may become D+ faster under the cruise day system than the cruise point system. This is assuming a cabin that is not a suite.

Now your Diamond beef I fully understand. Supposedly all ships will have a Diamond Lounge sometime in 2015 and the 5:30 to 8:30 cocktails will back on all ships.

Everyone was grandfathered in including you. Unless you only take short 3 or 4 night cruises, the change had very little, if any impact on your reaching the next level. I think you'll agree that more credit should be given for longer cruises.

You are also mixing together two separate events. The removal of Diamond members from the Concierge Lounge and the conversion of points to days did not occur at the same time.

Whatever way Celebrity makes changes to the Captain's Club levels I can promise you 3 things, some people will be angry, some will be neutral and a few will be elated.

Oville is correct

The announcement of removing Diamond C&A from the Concierge Lounges was made in March 2009.

The conversion from credits to points was made the week of January 16, 2011. I am positive about the conversion date as was on the Allure that week and my points/credits got a bit messed up. (my credits were converted while I was on board to coincide with the points at the beginning of the cruise. Since I sailed on Jan. 16 and the conversion was during the week, they only wanted to give me one POINT for the cruise. It eventually was worked out.)

NO ONE had any status negative change. If one was D prior to the conversion they were D after.

M

I've never taken a cruise less then 7 days and that seemed to short.

I don't understand why the change made you give up hope of D+. I also tend to favor long cruises, and I felt the new system helped me get to D+.

For example, a couple transatlantic cruises in suites really racked up some points:D. My ten day cruises in a balcony cabin generally earned 10 points vs one credit under the old system...and during Diamonds in December it was 20 points (vs 2 credits under the old system). The people who do short cruises have a longer path to D+ now, but it seems fair to me.

If they did that I would be happily amazed:)

Celebrity has been talking about adding another lever for years now.

Three years ago they were going to call it Apex and it was for those with 25+ credits.

Since October the new CEO (Michael Bayley) has been saying they are working on changes. In December he said it would appear during the third quarter this year. On the Presidents cruise a week or two ago he said it would appear in the fourth quarter. They keep delaying the implementation.

All of the officers have been saying they will add two new levels and switch to days like RCL. I believe the new levels will be at the same number of days as RCL uses to maintain the reciprocity.

Their biggest problem is the growth in the number of Elites on TA cruises. Adding new levels does nothing to help that problem unless they significantly raise the threshold for Elite.

We can just wait and see:)

Personally, I hope they keep delaying it until I hit elite. I'll be very upset if i work to gain loyalty to a brand only to have the program changed and have to work even longer. While I know they aren't obligated, I'm just hoping that it stays the same at least for those currently within a certain level of reaching elite, if they do decide to make elite harder to attain. I'll only be select after my october cruise because my cruises have only earned 1 credit each so far but my October one is earning 3. Maybe I ought to consider booking CC for my May cruise, it would solely be for the point though because i just dont find concierge to be all that desirable on the S class ships.

#firstworldproblems, i know. :-)

When Royal converted they counted each credit as 7 days and an additional number to insure no one lost stays.

Here is their current schedule based on days sailed:

Gold 3

Platinum 30

Emerald 55

Diamond 80

Diamond Plus 175

Pinnacle700

I'm confused....

Right now, I have 2 credits (i know, piddly, i'm working on it i promise! lol) One was for 9 night and one for an 11 night, so that's 20 days. So, are you saying for 20 days I sailed, I'd only get 14? That seems wrong. Or are you getting 7 plus however many days any particular sailing went over 7?

I'm confused....

Right now, I have 2 credits (i know, piddly, i'm working on it i promise! lol) One was for 9 night and one for an 11 night, so that's 20 days. So, are you saying for 20 days I sailed, I'd only get 14? That seems wrong. Or are you getting 7 plus however many days any particular sailing went over 7?

The way Royal Caribbean did it was 1 cruise point equalled 7 days plus an addition number based on how many cruises you took. So yes, you would have been converted to 14 and maybe a day or two. I can't recall the exact formula.

I'm confused....

IF they use the same conversion formula RCI used, you'd have 15 points (2 x7 +1 bonus point). That does not seem very generous, does it? then again 2 "piddly" credits for two medium length cruises doesn't seem very generous either, does it? There in lies the problem with the current system...somebody took one four day cruise in CC cabin and has the same number of credits as you. presumably you (wisely) selected your cruises for the fabulous vacation, not for loyalty benefits, because your did not book to maximize your credits.

Of course, if X changes the program, they may not use the same formula.

To paraphase Orville in post #47, the change, when it comes will, will upset some and make others giddy. I was not giddy with the changes made by RCCL and it was one of the reasons I left. I'm going to wait to see what changes are made by X and then decide my next move. There are plenty of cruise lines out here from which to choose. :cool:

To paraphase Orville in post #47, the change, when it comes will, will upset some and make others giddy. I was not giddy with the changes made by RCCL and it was one of the reasons I left. I'm going to wait to see what changes are made by X and then decide my next move. There are plenty of cruise lines out here from which to choose. :cool:

It's Oville, I'm a woman.;):D

IF they use the same conversion formula RCI used, you'd have 15 points (2 x7 +1 bonus point). That does not seem very generous, does it? then again 2 "piddly" credits for two medium length cruises doesn't seem very generous either, does it? There in lies the problem with the current system...somebody took one four day cruise in CC cabin and has the same number of credits as you. presumably you (wisely) selected your cruises for the fabulous vacation, not for loyalty benefits, because your did not book to maximize your credits.

Of course, if X changes the program, they may not use the same formula.

This is true, I booked them because 1 - i thought it would be cool to do the inaugural sailing of a ship (it honestly wasnt lol) and 2 - wanted a cruise that went to certain Med stops and the equinox did that year. I found celebrity by accident, but I don't intend to leave it :-)

Is it my imagination or has this become a RCCL roll call ? Credits should be given for cruises on Celebrity only. Other wise we have ruined a perfectly good program. Why do you think we have over crowding in the sky lounge ?

You've likely pinpointed the obvious problem - the reciprocity between the 2 loyalty programs.

Maybe they should have reciprocity but restrict it a bit to certain things. Like maybe a diamond RCL sailing on X would get all the coupon perks but not the private cocktail hours. (i'm sure this would of course anger someone).

Personally, I'd only want it for the coupons LOL. I don't really need to hobknob with the elites, nor do I drink.

Is it my imagination or has this become a RCCL roll call ? Credits should be given for cruises on Celebrity only. Other wise we have ruined a perfectly good program. Why do you think we have over crowding in the sky lounge ?

agreed. i think the lounges would be much less crowded if the lines kept their status on their own ships. rccl didn't extend status to celebrity, and celebrity didn't extend status to rccl.

No big deal, but I really don't look much like an Orville.;)

Boy, and here we all sat here picturing you with your big bowl of popcorn and big black glasses :-) (for those outside of the US - I'm referring to Orville Redenbacher, a famous popcorn maker over here in the US lol)

Personally, I'd only want it for the coupons LOL. I don't really need to hobknob with the elites, nor do I drink.

+1 ... most likely it would be, "i've been on x amount of cruises." "well i've been on THIS many." -- i don't see it as a competition. chances are there aren't many elites our age anyway; not much in common, although we do tend to have more fun hanging out with my parents than with friends that are still stuck in their college years :rolleyes:

IMHO the problems started with too many Elites when X decided to let RCCL into Elite lounges. When I became Elite they were small affairs in Michael`s club. Even when the Solstice came out, still in Michael`s club. All of a sudden the masses showed up in the Sky lounge. Many RCCL customers. I have all of my credits ( points ) on Celebrity and I hope they keep my loyalty in mind when changing Elite program.

Please don't hold yourself back. Are you sure you didn't really want to say "unwashed" masses? I am sure you know that Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara all fall under the Royal Caribbean company blanket. It's a natural thing that all three cruise lines should share reciprocal benefits in their loyalty program. I am sorry you think that people who sail Royal Caribbean--as many of us on this forum do--are clogging up your Elite party.

+1 ... most likely it would be, "i've been on x amount of cruises." "well i've been on THIS many." -- i don't see it as a competition. chances are there aren't many elites our age anyway; not much in common, although we do tend to have more fun hanging out with my parents than with friends that are still stuck in their college years :rolleyes:

I'm on the younger side of the demographic as well for celebrity, but in my 30s, not quite college aged ;-) I sail them because I've always liked more mature audiences than my age. :-) I also enjoyed HAL for my 1 cruise. :-)

I am sure you know that Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara all fall under the Royal Caribbean company blanket. It's a natural thing that all three cruise lines should share reciprocal benefits in their loyalty program.

Unfortunately this does not hold true for brands under the Carnival umbrella. At least it didn't back when i had sailed on 1 seabourn and was taking a HAL cruise (both under CCL). It did qualify me to be 1 star on HAL, but didn't give me any of the perks. I dont know if higher up would have gotten me any more but, it would seem to me that RCL brands are doing it right by rewarding across their brands, they might just need to restrict it a little for the in person parties.

I'm on the younger side of the demographic as well for celebrity, but in my 30s, not quite college aged ;-) I sail them because I've always liked more mature audiences than my age. :-) I also enjoyed HAL for my 1 cruise. :-)

i am not brave enough to try HAL yet...we have had much older crowds, lots of 70+ on our december cruises before christmas. i'd never sailed at that time, usually spring break, but my husband's first cruise was in december with me 5 years ago and it didn't bother either of us. in fact i think everyone enjoyed seeing the few young faces on the ship and they were all very nice to us; always wanted to chat. my husband and i like a refined, classy experience with some drinks, nice dinners, and relaxation. celebrity fits that bill best for us.

whoops, didn't mean to thread jack, back to the elite/elite + convo!

The single reason I've mentioned Royal Caribbean was because a couple of years ago they converted their point system to days. If this is what Celebrity intends to do, they have the experience of their sister line and may or may not do something similar.

I'm up there in cruise points with Celebrity and when they added the Captain's Club perk a few years back I was already Elite with quite a few points to spare.

Re the crowding in the Sky Lounge, yes there are a number of Royal Caribbean cruisers who have moved over to Celebrity for a number of reasons and are automatically Elite. We personally found out about Celebrity from numerous people we met in the RCI Concierge Lounge cocktail receptions who were Elite on Celebrity therefore Diamond on RCI. Of course that all changed in 2009 when Diamonds were booted from the CL.

But there is also another problem and simply put it's just to easy to become Elite. Staying in a CC or AQ cabin gives you 2 points. It can take 5 cruises or less to reach Elite status, and yes, you can do it on short cruises.

Archived