Elite /Elite +

mcrcruiser

When thinking about why I enjoy my Celebrity cruises, the Captain's Club perks don't really play into the equation that much. I kind of look at it as enjoying a really great cake. The frosting might be a nice addition, but if the cake isn't good, who really cares about the frosting?

I consider the whole experience and although I enjoy some of the extra perks, they aren't my major consideration.

I do think Celebrity has created a bit of a monster by making it too easy to attain Elite membership in the Captain's Club and I don't know how you put the genie back in the bottle after he's out. It will be interesting to see what happens.

When thinking about why I enjoy my Celebrity cruises, the Captain's Club perks don't really play into the equation that much. I kind of look at it as enjoying a really great cake. The frosting might be a nice addition, but if the cake isn't good, who really cares about the frosting?

I consider the whole experience and although I enjoy some of the extra perks, they aren't my major consideration.

I do think Celebrity has created a bit of a monster by making it too easy to attain Elite membership in the Captain's Club and I don't know how you put the genie back in the bottle after he's out. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Once again our thoughts are in tune.

Just a couple of points I wanted to make and trying to put it tactfully:

I certainly lost any hope of ever reaching Diamond Plus because of the way the system was changed. :(

That of course is the reason to change the program so that the rewards are aligned with loyalty to the cruise line. 75 days or more to me seems a reasonable number to achieve D+, regardless of how the change affects your own personal ability to attain it.

Personally, I hope they keep delaying it until I hit elite. I'll be very upset if i work to gain loyalty to a brand only to have the program changed and have to work even longer.

If I was in your shoes having only taken 2 cruises with Celebrity I'm not sure I understand your logic for being very upset. You might have to cruise a few more times, but if it truly rewards frequent cruisers then that seems fairer to everyone.

Phil

Eventually Celebrity will roll out another level to create more sales and marketing buzz. This has been discussed for years and maybe this will be the year it happens.

I'm all for the perks, why not. :)

That of course is the reason to change the program so that the rewards are aligned with loyalty to the cruise line. 75 days or more to me seems a reasonable number to achieve D+, regardless of how the change affects your own personal ability to attain it.

Sorry mistype. Should have said 175 days.

Phil

You've likely pinpointed the obvious problem - the reciprocity between the 2 loyalty programs.

Maybe they should have reciprocity but restrict it a bit to certain things. Like maybe a diamond RCL sailing on X would get all the coupon perks but not the private cocktail hours. (i'm sure this would of course anger someone).

Personally, I'd only want it for the coupons LOL. I don't really need to hobknob with the elites, nor do I drink.

Don't you think much of the crowding might come from the fact that it is pretty easy to make elite relative to other line's top tiers? after all, one only needs five short cruises in a glorified (and generally not much more expensive) balcony cabin. Or three long ones in CC plus one short one. X started giving extra credits for long cruises...then they added credits for CC...and they kept the threshold at ten...now there are lots of elites. I made elite on X long before D on RCI.

To paraphase Orville in post #47, the change, when it comes will, will upset some and make others giddy. I was not giddy with the changes made by RCCL and it was one of the reasons I left. I'm going to wait to see what changes are made by X and then decide my next move. There are plenty of cruise lines out here from which to choose. :cool:

I am curious as what were the other reasons you chose to leave RCCL?

I wish Celebrity offered at least 2 cruise credits for booking Xpedition. Most people add the cruisetour, which only brings you up to 10 nights, so no extra point there (the cost for the Macchu Pitchu add on, which brings it over the 12 days is insane compare to what an independent tour does.)

If you earned your cruise credits on the cheapest Carribean cruises (4 night Bahamas, inside), it would take 10 to equal the cost of the cheapest Xpedition cruise (7 night, outside, since there are no insides) based on current prices.

To me, that's worth an extra cruise credit.

It will be very interesting what, if any, changes Celebrity makes. What do they do about those that are 1 or 2 cruises away from Elite. Do they penalize them for being a loyal customers with possibly 8 or 9 Celebrity cruises (since many just get 1 point per cruise) under their belt or do they give them x amount of time to become Elite. I would think that they would consider these customers who are very close to Elite when making changes. I know I would be totally pi**ed if I were that close and then they changed the system.

richsea, I think the number 1 reason some Diamond members left Royal was the change to the Diamond perks, not the change from credits to days. RC ships have a Concierge Lounge which was originally for suites guests only. At some point Diamond members were given access to the lounge (which also included Celebrity Elite cruisers). The Lounge over the years became overcrowded at the evening cocktail reception which is held between 5:00 to 8:30 every night. To alleviate the problem, in 2009 the cruiseline made the decision to limit attendance to this event to suites and Diamond Plus members. Needless to say, there were many unhappy Diamond cruisers and ironically quite a few blamed the problem of allowing Celeb Elites in.

The change over to credits didn't create nearly the stir, yes it might take an addition cruise or two to reach the next status for a few, and people who had taken longer cruises were miffed at 7days/credit but I don't think it caused a mass exodus.

It will be very interesting what, if any, changes Celebrity makes. What do they do about those that are 1 or 2 cruises away from Elite. Do they penalize them for being a loyal customers with possibly 8 or 9 Celebrity cruises (since many just get 1 point per cruise) under their belt or do they give them x amount of time to become Elite. I would think that they would consider these customers who are very close to Elite when making changes. I know I would be totally pi**ed if I were that close and then they changed the system.

When Royal converted, people with 8 or 9 cruises only needed the 1 or 2 additional cruises,respectively, to reach Diamond status. If my memory is correct, it was those with 7 credits that would need 1 additional cruise.

Here is the formal RC used.

For 1-4 credits, multiply by 7 and add 1

For 5-7 credits, multiply by 7 and add 3

For 8 or more, multiply by 7 and add 13

richsea, I think the number 1 reason some Diamond members left Royal was the change to the Diamond perks, not the change from credits to days. RC ships have a Concierge Lounge which was originally for suites guests only. At some point Diamond members were given access to the lounge (which also included Celebrity Elite cruisers). The Lounge over the years became overcrowded at the evening cocktail reception which is held between 5:00 to 8:30 every night. To alleviate the problem, in 2009 the cruiseline made the decision to limit attendance to this event to suites and Diamond Plus members. Needless to say, there were many unhappy Diamond cruisers and ironically quite a few blamed the problem of allowing Celeb Elites in.

The change over to credits didn't create nearly the stir, yes it might take an addition cruise or two to reach the next status for a few, and people who had taken longer cruises were miffed at 7days/credit but I don't think it caused a mass exodus.

Now I am bit confused.

Do you mean being Elite on Celebrity IS NOT enough to get you into the cocktail party on Royal? :confused::(

Now I am bit confused.

Do you mean being Elite on Celebrity IS NOT enough to get you into the cocktail party on Royal? :confused::(

The issue with Royal is a bit more complex. The "Cocktail Party", meaning a dedicated lounge, is not consistent with RCI. Just as the change from Michael's Club, to the Sky Lounge or to vouchers is not uniform, RCI had a problem without a solution that could ever satisfy all.

In Jan we sailed on Oasis and our Elite with X got us into the diamond lounge. However some ships in the RCL fleet do not have similar facilities and then other rules are applied. I think that the Liberty Class has a lounge but the smaller ships have no comparable offerings for Elites. If an Elite + program is ever introduced on Celebrity we hope it will offer similar reciprocity. The large influx of RCI Diamonds on Celebrity was a response to the lounge being closed to Diamonds on these "smaller" ships because Celebrity's menu was substantially better.

I am not an expert on RCI but we have sailed with them a few times

Now I am bit confused.

It is enough to get you into the Diamond Lounge or the Diamond Event, but it's not enough to get you into the Concierge Lounge. Some RC ships have Diamond Lounges where drinks are served as in the Concierge Lounge. Others ships don't and hold a Diamond event each evening where wine is served free and a 25% discount on all other drinks. My understanding is that all RC ships will have Diamond Lounges by 2015.

I am curious as what were the other reasons you chose to leave RCCL?

As noted before, RCCL opened another venue on the cruise I was on in April 2009 to alleviate the crowding in the Concierge Lounge, which by the way was really a converted outside cabin. The overflow lounge worked fine but RCCL decided that was not a satisfactory answer and decided to limit the Concierge lounge to diamond plus and suites.

The other main reason was the alcohol prohibition. No wine at all can be brought on board at any time. That resulted in many people trying to smuggle on liquor in mouthwash bottles and rum runners. RCCL then clamped down on luggage inspecting everything with a fine tooth comb and luggage was either delivered late on the first night or held in security. Sometimes what triggered off the security protocols was ridiculous. At the point where I'm treated as a child is when I look for other options.

Other small issues also factored into the decision and by and large, I'm very happy with the decision to move to Celebrity. I continue to hope they do a better job of implementing any changes they make and treat all of us as the adults we are.

Excuse any mis-typings as I need to get to work. :cool:

When Princess updated their system, there were two ways of counting to achieve Elite category.

First the standard cruise count. Get 15 cruises you're Elite

A number of years ago they added a cruise days count that if one cruises a total of 150 days you are Elite. The original system was left in place as well

So if you did 15, 4 day cruises you would become Elite with only 60 cruise days.

But if you went on 6, 25 day cruises you became Elite.

Princess does not give any credit to those that have sailed their affiliate lines so that keeps the number of Elites down.

But the Elite benefits on Princess, while taking longer to obtain, far surpass the benefits on Celebrity.

As an Elite on Princess we get free laundry and dry cleaning, (not 2 items or a bag but totally free), free internet

(VOYAGE DURATION MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500), a free liquor set up in the cabin (if memory serves it's 6 or 8 small bottles of liquor and 8 bottles of soda or Evian) and access to a lounge with h'ors d'oeuvres and discounted drinks.

Celebrity could keep the Elite level (and associated benefits) they have now and add the additional internet time and laundry for a new, higher level.

That way no one would be upset.

ELITE MEMBER BENEFITS 15 cruises or 150 days of cruising

PREFERRED SERVICES PACKAGE

Priority Ship to Shore Tender Embarkation

As a well-traveled guest with Princess, you have the opportunity to travel ashore quickly and without waiting in line in our tender ports. Simply present your Elite cruise card directly at the tender embarkation area. You will then join any remaining passengers and board the tender as soon as it is clear to embark, and will not need to wait with other passengers in the lounge area.

Priority Disembarkation

If you have independent onward travel you may contact the Circle Host towards the end of your voyage to state your request to disembark with your preferred disembarkation group. If you'd like to linger onboard longer, we'll be more than happy to give you a later disembarkation group. If you'd like to be one of the first groups to disembark, we'll gladly accommodate - the choice is yours!

Shoe Polishing Service

Your shoes will be polished upon request - this service is complimentary.

Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services***

Upon request, your stateroom steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle!

ELITE STATEROOM AMENITIES PACKAGE

Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up**

Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed.

Deluxe Canapes Selection

Upon request you will receive a complimentary selection of deluxe canapés specially created by the Chef, delivered to your stateroom on formal nights (one order per Elite stateroom, each formal night). This benefit can be ordered by completing the card provided in your stateroom and hanging it outside your stateroom door by 10:00pm the night prior to the formal nights.

Afternoon Tea

Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom, should you wish. You may request this via room service at least six hours prior to the desired delivery time.

Upgraded Bathroom Amenities

Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

PREFERRED DISCOUNT PACKAGE

10% Boutique Discount

Our Boutiques are second to none for choice and gift selection. Now, as an Elite Member, take advantage of a 10% discount storewide to buy those extra gifts for all your family back home! Your Cruise Card is your key to this wonderful benefit - simply show it when you make any purchase, and our Boutique Staff will automatically deduct 10% from your purchase price.

Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting

Our Grapevine Wine Tasting Event is popular and many of our Members attend, so we have made arrangements to pick up the cover charge for you!

*Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or cruise days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply.

**For passengers 21 and over, complimentary mini-bar set-up is one time only, per stateroom. Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting is one per cruise, per Elite Member.

***Excludes same-day service

I'm not sure I'd say they "far surpass" those on Celebrity. Yes, more internet minutes (we are heavy internet users and never use up the two free packages we get as elites), unlimited free laundry is better, but again, we find two bags of free laundry per cruise enough. Canapes on formal nights...Celebrity has them every night. Both offer to shine my sandals for free (or my bare feet). One mini bar setup vs bottle of champagne/wine? priority tendering/embarkation/disembarkation offered by both....and so on.

To me, they seem reasonably similar.....

It is enough to get you into the Diamond Lounge or the Diamond Event, but it's not enough to get you into the Concierge Lounge. Some RC ships have Diamond Lounges where drinks are served as in the Concierge Lounge. Others ships don't and hold a Diamond event each evening where wine is served free and a 25% discount on all other drinks. My understanding is that all RC ships will have Diamond Lounges by 2015.

I vote for sending all the RCL folks back to RCL where they earned their points.

As noted before, RCCL opened another venue on the cruise I was on in April 2009 to alleviate the crowding in the Concierge Lounge, which by the way was really a converted outside cabin. The overflow lounge worked fine but RCCL decided that was not a satisfactory answer and decided to limit the Concierge lounge to diamond plus and suites.

The other main reason was the alcohol prohibition. No wine at all can be brought on board at any time. That resulted in many people trying to smuggle on liquor in mouthwash bottles and rum runners. RCCL then clamped down on luggage inspecting everything with a fine tooth comb and luggage was either delivered late on the first night or held in security. Sometimes what triggered off the security protocols was ridiculous. At the point where I'm treated as a child is when I look for other options.

Other small issues also factored into the decision and by and large, I'm very happy with the decision to move to Celebrity. I continue to hope they do a better job of implementing any changes they make and treat all of us as the adults we are.

Excuse any mis-typings as I need to get to work. :cool:

Mis-typings excused!

According to RCCL site, you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine aboard, so it would appear that you changed primarily due to the changes in the Crown & Anchor Society. Of course it is your right to switch cruise lines for any reason that is important to you, but I have to ask myself, if Celebrity made changes to the Captain's Club that resulted in my losing perks for whatever reason, would I stop sailing with them? I guess may answer would be that if I preferred the Celebrity cruise experience prior to my having the perks, so why wouldn't I keep cruising with them, all other things being equal. I the end of course, you are ahead of the game if you prefer the Celebrity experience over Royal Caribbean.

Such a nasty comment. One can only hope you are kidding.

Marci

I think it should be obvious that I am kidding....but the current problem is caused, in large part, by making the programs reciprocal....and the RCL members receive better benefits on Celebrity then Celebrity members get on RCL ships.

I did suggest on a couple of threads that when they change the celebrity program, RCL corporate merge the programs, make all cruises on any of their lines count and then base benefits on total contribution (or loyalty) to Royal Caribbean Corporation.

I think skins are getting a bit thin on this thread but I will throw in my two cents anyway.

I suspect some new levels are inevitable and I only hope they add to, and don't take away, benefits for current cruisers. I am not an RCI hater, so please don't misinterpret, but I believe also that the loyalty programs should not be reciprocal or combined. I would be more in favor of some type of recognition (maybe an "all-in" cocktail party or something) but other than that, keep the programs separate or else in the not-too-distant future there will be more and more issues with overcrowding and the like, and not much will really be solved.

It is true that it is pretty easy to get to Elite these days, but it is also true that when the reciprocity began suddenly the Elite events were very, very crowded on most sailings I was on. It was not a coincidence - it just was a fact - like it or don't like it. I also understand the frustration that when an Elite cruiser sails on RCI, they don't get anywhere near the benefits (IMHO) that Diamond Level RCI folks get on Celebrity. That adds to the frustration for those of us who primarily sail Celebrity (can you tell I am one of those:)).

Whatever the end product is, I can tell you that I for one will continue to sail Celebrity unless they significantly reduce benefits for current Elite members. If that happens - see ya later Celebrity. I don't sail them primarily for the CC benefits, but that would push me away out of general principle. I hope they learned their lesson from the fiasco that happened at RCI.

Archived