Elite /Elite +

mcrcruiser

Because by the time it changes, I will likely be at 5 or 8 credits, is why. Yes I have two as of the current date, but time, she is a passing. I will be at 8 in may 2014, already am booked through then. So that's part if what I'm saying. Some folks are booking with this goal in mind, and booking a higher lever cabin in order to get credits faster, like everyone else. By the end of may 2014 I will have 47 days on board celebrity. I have it all in their books today with two confirmed bookings in the future.

I still don't get why you would be "very upset". You haven't even taken the cruises yet and anything might happen between now and May next year. Loyalty programs can change at any time and shouldn't be taken as part of the terms and conditions of booking or at least the decision making process of cruising. I might be disappointed if the T & Cs changed, but very upset? No. If changes are announced hopefully they will give a bit of warning so that those nearly there don't miss out, but you are quite a long way from Elite at the moment so depending upon if and when it's done you may not be that close anyway.

Phil

given all the talk about changes to elite levels, DH and I took extra cruises in 2012 to reach elite before something changed...i of course would be irritated if they changed elite and was not recognized but was my choice to try and become elite before any changes. thus, those close could squeeze one more cruise in hopes they make the new level. all a crap shoot and as a good excuse for an extra cruise or two which was not easy as DH and I still work. we all have choices here...

since september we took one additional cruise and now have alaska in june and equinox in jan 2014...hope we still have elite status for our future cruises. :)

I would be shocked if they would cut Elite benefits by adding an Elite Plus tier. From my view on Royal Caribbean, which we use to sail much more, but now choose Celebrity, we are Diamond and pretty close to Diamond Plus. What I have seen/felt IMHO, is that Diamond Plus is what Diamond used to be/felt like when we were first Diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity in 2006. I think it was 2006. Our sense is that Diamond is kinda frozen and the wow is now in the Diamond Plus.

I mention this, as is our perspective, and as I fear and think that if Celebrity creates a higher tier, it will be the same thing, with Elite tier being the step child, just another rung to get to Elite Plus.

What Celebrity might consider is to take care of those, I would call them 'Whales' who are sailing Celebrity and deserve some "PRIVATE" attention due to their spending/sailing record. Celebrity does not need to create a program that encompasses the whole spectrum of cruisers.

I personally like the idea of days, but I am not enamored with the benefits of Elite tier anymore and don't use most of them anyway. I do have to say that we did enjoy Elite benefits early on, but also felt we were of a 'small/exclusive group' and maybe that was part of the appeal vs such a large group of passengers now reaching the Elite level which lessens it value. I am not a snob, but it may sound like it.

Like the saying, I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

I do think that Celebrity and Royal have done great jobs in creating the desire/demand to reach the higher tiers, that they need to make sure the incentive is still there AND that those passengers close to or just reaching the Elite tier have not been 'bait and switched' by lessing benefits. I believe Celebrity will do the right thing! :)

From facebook in response to a Captain's Club program question:

Michael Bayley Its really not the third quarter yet. I have stated that we are working through a redesign, possibly adding tiers. We are aiming for the third quarter though it could be the fourth quarter. You cant rush good things.

Of course the biggest problem mirroring RCL's program would be that current elites would lose the free drinks and get a 25% discount instead....that would cause more than a little anger. But if you leave the free drinks, then elite is more like diamond plus so now what do they do to beef up elite and stay in concert with diamond plus.

They have a mess on their hands......which is why, of course, they have done nothing.

Your facts are incorrect.

On RCCL ships that have a diamond lounge – Elites will have a FREE COCKTAIL HOUR ( ACTUALLY 3 HOURS - 5:38-8:30 PM ) EVERY night. This is actually a longer perk than the 2 hours on Celebrity and is offered EVERY night. The longer hours offers better flexibility to have a drink prior to late dinner.

On ships with no Diamond Lounge - you get a diamond EVENT EVERY NIGHT and that is the free wine and champagne ( and soda) and 25% off everything else.

MOST ships have a Diamond Lounge now, and all are scheduled to have one in the next year or two. Elite passengers who book a suite, will also have the added amenities of a Concierge Lounge which are the same or better than the standard Elite benefits.

On RCCL the Diamond lounges also have complimentary specialty coffees all day and if there is no dedicated diamond lounge you can get specialty coffee in a special MDR breakfast area.

As D+ passengers – in my opinion, Elite is more compared to Diamond status ( not D+) on RCCL.

M

I would be shocked if they would cut Elite benefits by adding an Elite Plus tier. From my view on Royal Caribbean, which we use to sail much more, but now choose Celebrity, we are Diamond and pretty close to Diamond Plus. What I have seen/felt IMHO, is that Diamond Plus is what Diamond used to be/felt like when we were first Diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity in 2006. I think it was 2006. Our sense is that Diamond is kinda frozen and the wow is now in the Diamond Plus.

I mention this, as is our perspective, and as I fear and think that if Celebrity creates a higher tier, it will be the same thing, with Elite tier being the step child, just another rung to get to Elite Plus.

What Celebrity might consider is to take care of those, I would call them 'Whales' who are sailing Celebrity and deserve some "PRIVATE" attention due to their spending/sailing record. Celebrity does not need to create a program that encompasses the whole spectrum of cruisers.

I personally like the idea of days, but I am not enamored with the benefits of Elite tier anymore and don't use most of them anyway. I do have to say that we did enjoy Elite benefits early on, but also felt we were of a 'small/exclusive group' and maybe that was part of the appeal vs such a large group of passengers now reaching the Elite level which lessens it value. I am not a snob, but it may sound like it.

Like the saying, I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

I do think that Celebrity and Royal have done great jobs in creating the desire/demand to reach the higher tiers, that they need to make sure the incentive is still there AND that those passengers close to or just reaching the Elite tier have not been 'bait and switched' by lessing benefits. I believe Celebrity will do the right thing! :)

good points. we wont use the "free" drinks much as we purchase the premium beverage package on all carib cruises and itinerary dependent on others. I do like the thought of a sailing/spending record plan. I guess we will see what happens. This is always such a lively conversation just thought i would add my $.02...since I could not sleep ;)

)

This is basically the concept that RCCL used for the Pinnacle group. To put it in simplest terns – Diamond plus WAS about 25 credits (25 cruises or 12 in a suite) NOW 175 points, and the NEXT STEP is Pinnacle which was basically WAS 100 cruises ( 50 in a suite) NOW 700 points. (A point is a night, but one receives double points if booked in a paid full suite and also with a few random promotions during the year on dedicated sailings.)

There are a few promised benefits at along the way from 175 to 700 ( 340, 350, 525 points ). Some are very small like upgraded bathroom amenities at 340 points. Upgraded toiletries or a cheap bottle of wine are not reason I sail often.

Once a year I travel with my 82 yr. old dad. On X he can come to Elite happy hour with me as we are in the same cabin. He loves this special part of our day. He is not Elite. If I was to take him on RCL would he be allowed in Diamond lounge with me ?

Once a year I travel with my 82 yr. old dad. On X he can come to Elite happy hour with me as we are in the same cabin. He loves this special part of our day. He is not Elite. If I was to take him on RCL would he be allowed in Diamond lounge with me ?

The corporate response is RCCL does NOT extend privileges to those sharing your cabin. Some Diamond Concierges will make exceptions. If you book a full suite, then you will both have access to the Concierge lounge.

I believe Select also transfers over for some RCCL category You may want to check that out so that he can attend any other crown and anchor events.

The reciprocity is not automatic - you must call RCCL to register with C&A

Good luck

M

I am sorry - that is incorrect. RCCL does NOT extend the privilege to those sharing a cabin. Not sure of the reasoning - but that is their rule.

M

My mistake. I have certainly met people in the Diamond Lounge who have had family members with them who were on their first cruise. As you say, perhaps the Diamond Concierge was feeling generous.

Celebrity's Captain's Club Program was the reason that I switched from Crown and Anchor initially. The addition of Elite + would be okay, but I hope that they don't change the program before I get my next sailings credited. I can't imagine a program based on amount spent. I might end up with more points.

Personally from what I have been reading here it seems the the reason there are too many elites is that anyone who has earned a Diamond status on Royal receives elite benefits on Celebrity. The easy fix would be to not allow benefits to be interchangeable between the two cruise lines. How does sailing X many times on Royal Caribbean make you loyal to Celebrity on your first cruise. I do realize that they are both owned by the same parent company but so are many retail organizations and they don't combine loyalty programs.

I'm sure that the current Elite perks will remain unchanged for the most part. This is my second cruise sailing Elite, and I use very few of the " perks ". I don't like Celebrity's wines by the glass, so the happy our is useless for me.

I'm hoping the next leg of my current cruise has vouchers .

I like the idea of new tiers, and new perks!

Personally from what I have been reading here it seems the the reason there are too many elites is that anyone who has earned a Diamond status on Royal receives elite benefits on Celebrity. The easy fix would be to not allow benefits to be interchangeable between the two cruise lines. How does sailing X many times on Royal Caribbean make you loyal to Celebrity on your first cruise. I do realize that they are both owned by the same parent company but so are many retail organizations and they don't combine loyalty programs.

Do not believe everything you read.

It is currently much easier (and potentially much cheaper) to reach Elite on X than Diamond on Royal Caribbean. Surely keeping loyal and valuable customers in within the company is wiser than letting them slip away to a different company like Princess or HAL.

The proliferation of Elites is likely related to the low threshold and the extra credit opportunities (they added credits for long cruises, then they added credits for glorified balcony cabins).

I'm sure that the current Elite perks will remain unchanged for the most part. This is my second cruise sailing Elite, and I use very few of the " perks ". I don't like Celebrity's wines by the glass, so the happy our is useless for me.

I'm hoping the next leg of my current cruise has vouchers .

I like the idea of new tiers, and new perks!

I am bemused by the hysteria some are drumming up. The Sky is not falling. :rolleyes:

The reward program Celebrity put in place seems to have been very successful and Michael Bayley himself has stated "we are working through a redesign, possibly adding tiers. We are aiming for the third quarter though it could be the fourth quarter. You cant rush good things."

Heck, it worked on this loyal Princess cruiser. In the past ten cruises all but two have been on "X" in part because of the reward program. (and the clean air policy)

Like Kevin said, if there is a change it will be adding not taking away perks to loyal Celebrity guests

Do not believe everything you read.

It is currently much easier (and potentially much cheaper) to reach Elite on X than Diamond on Royal Caribbean. Surely keeping loyal and valuable customers in within the company is wiser than letting them slip away to a different company like Princess or HAL.

The proliferation of Elites is likely related to the low threshold and the extra credit opportunities (they added credits for long cruises, then they added credits for glorified balcony cabins).

perhaps you are right...but at some point, don't be surprised if Carnival, in a moment of marketing brilliant insight, offers to match your RCL levels with their own....perhaps as a promotion or perhaps to gain, instantly, new passengers. Airlines have done this type of cross program marketing...why not cruise lines?

Celebrity is moving in a direction that may make some try other lines anyway. There is a thread on loud music here; food quality/service has gone down according to some; less public space per passenger on the Reflection and blocked views due to redesign (new cabins from sky lounge and cabanas blocking views from lawn)...and so on. Nothing individually dramatic enough to make a massive move, but an ill thought out change to elite could be the final blow for some....or it could be a real value keeping others with RCL/Celebrity. Only time will tell...but a few more health inspection failures, breakdowns (Millennium this past week), etc aren't helping keep passengers.

The 123 programs have been quite successful, but the prices went up to cover the cost....so not sure the value is, other than to raise the average fare charged per passenger day (without showing the offsetting cost of getting that fare....the cost of 123) In other words it legal accounting used as a marketing tool that reads well in press releases and financial reports if you don't dig in to them.

perhaps you are right...but at some point, don't be surprised if Carnival, in a moment of marketing brilliant insight, offers to match your RCL levels with their own....perhaps as a promotion or perhaps to gain, instantly, new passengers. Airlines have done this type of cross program marketing...why not cruise lines?

Celebrity is moving in a direction that may make some try other lines anyway....Nothing individually dramatic enough to make a massive move, but an ill thought out change to elite could be the final blow for some....or it could be a real value keeping others with RCL/Celebrity.

The 123 programs have been quite successful, but the prices went up to cover the cost....so not sure the value is, other than to raise the average fare charged per passenger day (without showing the offsetting cost of getting that fare....the cost of 123) In other words it legal accounting used as a marketing tool that reads well in press releases and financial reports if you don't dig in to them.

Carnival could try such a thing, though I wonder if that would tick off their own loyalists. if X elites were offered stautus on, say HAL, but Princess Elites were not, there might be too much howling from multiple directions. I have done 3 princess cruises, and I might be tempted to do more if they matched my X/RCL perks. I do not book for the perks, but they do increase my enjoyment of the cruise enough to give X/RCL a value boost in my mind.

How much can change before cruisers jump ship to other lines or other types of vacations? that is tough to say. I'll be back on X next month after a couple years away on RCL; I hope I still love it.

I do hope they add another level or two to X's program. personally, I hope they keep the reciprocity because I think it works to retain customers. I want this corporation to succeed, as a cruiser and as a shareholder.

123 has supported prices. I also rather doubt the value, but more power to those who get a deal that pleases them.

Hmmm do you have the 75 cruise credits ? Was thinking more like 24 cruise credits similar to the RCCL Diamond Plus level :)

If husband & wife are both Elites ,then there is 180 total minutes free internet .Are you inferring a unlimited amount of time on the internet?

Yes ,we like your other 2 perks & would vote a resounding yes to those perks:p:D:p

I am curious where you got 75 cruise credits. Diamond plus is 175 cruise credits, not 75

me too!! I mean we get Elite now, but if they want to give us Elite + like we are D+ that works for me!

Sorry to not agree - I am of the opinion that one should only receive what has been earned with genuine days/points, not free givemees!

Sorry to not agree - I am of the opinion that one should only receive what has been earned with genuine days/points, not free givemees!

I fully agree. I think that it was a big mistake to give reciprocity to RCI. I know that it's part of the same company but in my opinion credit should be given only on the line that it is earned. It's ridiculous that someone gets Elite status on their first sailing on X just because they have Diamond status on RCI, which I consider to be an inferior line to Celebrity.

I fully agree. I think that it was a big mistake to give reciprocity to RCI. I know that it's part of the same company but in my opinion credit should be given only on the line that it is earned. It's ridiculous that someone gets Elite status on their first sailing on X just because they have Diamond status on RCI, which I consider to be an inferior line to Celebrity.

I am glad you are not the CEO.

:) I was thinking the same thing.

I think their reciprocal thing is a keen marketing deal to give people an upgrade path as they continue to cruise and get older. It's also been handy for us the other way when we went on some RCCL cruises with our kids.

And, I've never lost any benefit on Celebrity because more people have it. In other words, I don't get any less because someone who cruises on X for the first time gets more.

Tom

I am glad you are not the CEO.

Archived