BEWARE - Carnival not honoring future cruise discounts for passengers on strand

jcolley

Just wanted everyone to know that Carnival is not honoring the "50 percent off future cruise" for passengers that were on the recent stranded ships. They do everything in their power not to honor the discount. We had to email the original letter received from Carnival to them because "they didn't have a record of it." Spent an entire morning on the phone and countless hours of planning preparing for this trip. Spoke with Carnival several times previously confirming the details and was told that we could book several cabins under the same booking for the 50% discount. Well..... come time to book and their story changed.

SHAME ON CARNIVAL - Bad experience keeps on ......!!

Just wanted everyone to know that Carnival is not honoring the "50 percent off future cruise" for passengers that were on the recent stranded ships. They do everything in their power not to honor the discount. We had to email the original letter received from Carnival to them because "they didn't have a record of it." Spent an entire morning on the phone and countless hours of planning preparing for this trip. Spoke with Carnival several times previously confirming the details and was told that we could book several cabins under the same booking for the 50% discount. Well..... come time to book and their story changed.

Why would you be able to book SEVERAL cabins under the 50% off? Did you have several booked to begin with?

I don't understand - is the issue that you wanted the 50% discount on multiple cabins? How many cabins did you have on the earlier "stranded" cruise?

Hard to believe they told you that you could book several cabins at the 50% off. I would think you would be entitled to discount on the same number and types of cabins you originally booked. How many was that?

As others have stated, you should only get the 50% off of the number of cabins you had on the troubled cruise. Someone misunderstood.

As for having to email the letter because they don't have record, I am not surprised. We had to fax over copies of my husbands military paperwork each time we wanted to go on a cruise.

Do you think you are going to get 50% off for every cabin you book for the rest of your life? Come on..

Carnival needs to honor what was told to you. You should get the 50% discount on the same number of cabins you had on the ship that was stranded. Carnival should also make it very easy to use this discount. I bet they have a record of your payments/charges to your sign and sail card :eek: Thanks for the info!!

I am not going to jump on the OP. They may not have stated things the way they meant to or maybe there was some misunderstanding with Carnival, but..

I had a cruise cancelled because of Sandy. Carnival was nice enough to give us 25% off a future cruise. I called this past January to set up our new cruise and the call took an hour.

First I was asked if I had the letter. I stated I did and I could fax it to them. The young lady at that point said that was ok but that she had to run it by a Supervisor. Next I was put on hold for 15 minutes. When she came back with our new cabin price I was dumbfounded. I quickly did the math and pointed out to her that it was only 7% off, not 25% off. She denied this, then once I explained the math, she agreed. I was put on hold again for 20 minutes. She came back and said that every time she or her supervisor put in the info, the computer automatically kicked back the 7% and that they were working on it. On hold again, when she came back it was finally the correct amount. (which I had done myself when first on hold).

While the young lady was very nice, Carnival left the impression it was going to fight tooth and nail to not give us the 25%. Anyone.. and of course there are now thousands with various discounts.. be sure to do the math and don't give in until it's right! While I am not saying its a conspiracy, I am saying that if they are given the opportunity, they will short change you.

48 more hours to go!

:p

had to be a misunderstanding as the person who gets the 50% ... its only for their fare, not even the whole cabin.

this is always true. So depending on how many got stranded, those are the only people entitled to the discount.

Hard to believe they told you that you could book several cabins at the 50% off. I would think you would be entitled to discount on the same number and types of cabins you originally booked. How many was that?

I agree, they should only give you 50% the same number of cabins you originally had.

Actually these type of discounts are not even good on the same number of cabins .. it would have to be the same pax in each cabin, not a cabin for 4, with only 1 of the original pax.

the 50% off is only for the stranded pax.. not the whole cabin. There seems to be even some misunderstanding in some of the posts on this thread that it would be for the same number of cabins, (without regard to how many in them or if all were on the stranded cruise)

thats why I think the OP misunderstood.

As a example my sister and I both got 25% off a future cruise, but she decided not to cruise again (got married). So in order for me to get a cabin 25% off .. I had to sail solo, could not cruise with someone who did not get the 25% themselves.. the 25% off is not for the entire cabin, its only for the cruisefare of the one person using the 25% off.

You are sounding very frustrated.

Are they honoring it or not? You state in your first sentence they are not. Then you go on with the hassel involved.

Anytime you redeem a certificate of any kind with any company there are details to take care of. You have to prove that you are the person that they gave the certificate, someone can be trying to cheat the system. Your prep hours are mostly under your control so those countless hours are not really anyone's fault. Being told you can book several cabins would make me wonder, it should be in writing and list the details how many cabins and which categories and at what rates, not just an open offer, to me that is a red flag.

So do you have one point of contact now? One person manageing your booking? That should help lower the frustration level. Good luck.

So do you have one point of contact now? One person manageing your booking? That should help lower the frustration level. Good luck.

People ask if they should just book online or have a PVP at Carnival. You dont usually have problems booking it .. its after you booked it that you might need a PVP.

Maybe this should be a good example of why its good to have a good PVP you book with at Carnival and have a relationship with already set up.

Hopefully I'm wrong..but it sounds like the OP was trying to take advantage of Carnival and using the 50% for his friends and family. I bet he was quite popular when he said "I can book your cruise at 50% off!"

Also..as stated previously...that you had to prove you had a letter...that doesn't surprise me because unfortunately there are some people that can't be trusted that would try to cash in on the 50% when they hadn't even been on the cruise.

People ask if they should just book online or have a PVP at Carnival. You dont usually have problems booking it .. its after you booked it that you might need a PVP.

Maybe this should be a good example of why its good to have a good PVP you book with at Carnival and have a relationship with already set up.

Great Point!!

Aren't the certificates tied to the actual person cruising.?

for ex: Bob, Sam, Dodi, and Patsy cruised the triumph that had problems, a certificate is issued to Bob, Sam, Dodi, and Patsy for 50 % off. If Bob booked all the cabins then Bob doesn't get 4 open 50 % off certificates for those cabins, wouldn't the people in THOSE cabins get their OWN certificates in their name? :confused:

Why should other people benefit from the 50% off certificates when they weren't on the cruise that caused them to be issued? That's like saying I had a bad meal at a restaurant and they issued me a coupon for 50 % off of a future visit but I invite my children's high school graduation class and want the 50 % off for them all.

It amazes me people are assuming the OP was trying to "get one over." Where is your proof of this?

If Carnival is using the same form letter that we were handed, there isn't any fine print, small print, restrictions, guidelines, or anything other than it saying they are sorry and that you get X-amount off a future cruise. If the OP is confused and in the wrong, can't you see why? Lack of clear communication from Carnival to it's passengers, it's staff on the ships, and it's call center PVPs has been an on going issue and is the subject of LOTS of posts here.

I can't speak for the OP, only from my own experience but seeing how a couple thousand people were cancelled from my cruise last fall, by the time I called in to re-book 3 months later, don't you think that someone at Carnival realized the computer glitch that was giving only 7% even when they entered a higher amount? Why wasn't at a minimum an office memo sent out to it's PVPs? Or why didn't they actually resolve the computer problem? I am willing to bet the vast majority of people that get discounts and try to re-book run into issues. And just pray tell do you think the fault lies with, the pax with a 5 sentence piece of paper or the company that handed them out?

Where is this tit for tat details about having to be exact cabinn type at? I haven't seen it and I know I for one re-booked a totally different cabin on my re-booking. A slightly more expensive one.

The piece of paper is just that, a piece of paper. Once my PVP pulled up my old booking number, they knew darn well I was on a cancelled cruise. Shouldn't there be a memo, a list, an email, a screen saver, a mime pantomiming to each and every PVP which cruises were cancelled and what discount they should get? Wouldn't you do that where you work?

This nonsense of giving the discount away is nonsense and sad that the OP is being accused of it. Seriously, don't assume the worst about someone you don't know, cause you wouldn't like it done back to you, would you?

Where is this tit for tat details about having to be exact cabinn type at? I haven't seen it and I know I for one re-booked a totally different cabin on my re-booking. A slightly more expensive one.

The piece of paper is just that, a piece of paper. Once my PVP pulled up my old booking number, they knew darn well I was on a cancelled cruise. Shouldn't there be a memo, a list, an email, a screen saver, a mime pantomiming to each and every PVP which cruises were cancelled and what discount they should get? Wouldn't you do that where you work?

This nonsense of giving the discount away is nonsense and sad that the OP is being accused of it. Seriously, don't assume the worst about someone you don't know, cause you wouldn't like it done back to you, would you?

I must have missed that post that said it has to be the same cabin type. What we said was it was not per cabin... each discount is pax specific, attached to that person, not the whole cabin.

Should they have this on record. Yes, but I know when I got 25% off.. I had to produce the letter to send to my PVP .. and I dont have a scanner, so I had to get someone else to scan it to send to my PVP who then took care of it.

Carnival should be better at communications, no doubt about it. I have always said this.. when things go wrong, they do not communicate well. But the fact remains, that if the OP wants the 50% off, they will have to jump thru the hoops .. I did. Wouldnt it have been better if Carnival had this already on record, yep.

It amazes me people are assuming the OP was trying to "get one over." Where is your proof of this?

If Carnival is using the same form letter that we were handed, there isn't any fine print, small print, restrictions, guidelines, or anything other than it saying they are sorry and that you get X-amount off a future cruise. If the OP is confused and in the wrong, can't you see why? Lack of clear communication from Carnival to it's passengers, it's staff on the ships, and it's call center PVPs has been an on going issue and is the subject of LOTS of posts here.

I can't speak for the OP, only from my own experience but seeing how a couple thousand people were cancelled from my cruise last fall, by the time I called in to re-book 3 months later, don't you think that someone at Carnival realized the computer glitch that was giving only 7% even when they entered a higher amount? Why wasn't at a minimum an office memo sent out to it's PVPs? Or why didn't they actually resolve the computer problem? I am willing to bet the vast majority of people that get discounts and try to re-book run into issues. And just pray tell do you think the fault lies with, the pax with a 5 sentence piece of paper or the company that handed them out?

Unfortunately the OPs post is attacking Carnival and either not clearly stating the situation or in our opinion, they're trying to abuse the 50%.

It's a possibility that Carnival didn't have records because the OP was booking the rooms under names that weren't even on the stranded ship. The OP asks the Carnival employee "Can I book several rooms with the 50% discount?" The Carnival employee thinks they all have the 50% so they respond "Yes you can book multiple rooms." The OP starts giving names that aren't showing up with the discount so the Carnival employees asks for confirmation. When only the OP can get the discount, the OP gets angry at Carnival and writes an eye-opening headline on CruiseCritic that is very mis-leading and not true about Carnival and an already touchy subject.

Well first the OP is trying to get several rooms at the 50% rate. That makes people think they are trying to get over. And if the OP is confused they shouldn't be starting a thread saying BEWARE of Carnival.

Unfortunately the OPs post is attacking Carnival and either not clearly stating the situation or in our opinion, they're trying to abuse the 50%.

It's a possibility that Carnival didn't have records because the OP was booking the rooms under names that weren't even on the stranded ship. The OP asks the Carnival employee "Can I book several rooms with the 50% discount?" The Carnival employee thinks they all have the 50% so they respond "Yes you can book multiple rooms." The OP starts giving names that aren't showing up with the discount so the Carnival employees asks for confirmation. When only the OP can get the discount, the OP gets angry at Carnival and writes an eye-opening headline on CruiseCritic that is very mis-leading and not true about Carnival and an already touchy subject.

Carnival certainly had record I was on the conquest when it missed 2 out of 3 ports (we had a actual uprising on the ship for more fun). So, the issue is not even if you were on the ship.

Carnival doesnt seem to track these discounts very well, and mine wasnt in the system. I had to prove it to my PVP. I did a copy and paste, which she said wasnt good enough.. I had to have a friend actually scan in the letter we got before she could get it approved. I too had to jump thru some hoops. I thought it was silly since I had no scanner she couldnt just take the copy and paste version of carnival's letter, but noooo. she had to have the one with their letterhead on top... and my PVP is top notch.. but she still had to have the letter with the logo before she cold get the discount approved.

Sounds like another problem with their IT department. Carnival should have the discount associate with the guest's VIFP number. The problem with not getting the discount (7% vs 25%) is again an IT problem. Carnival seriously needs to train these employees, including the CSRs! It's crazy for having to scan and email all these letters! What if the letter was misplaced or lost!?

Archived