Over-packers R Us!

The baggage surcharges from the airlines have really put a crimp in our style for several years. My DD and I prefer to pack with the mindset of "What might I possibly need?" as opposed to "What can I get by with?"

We made a sudden decision 2 days ago to book the Grandeur for our next cruise. As we began the early stages of the planning, I pointed out that since we were driving to the port, we wouldn't be packing for the airlines. She got over-the-top excited about all the things she could take! She's never had that luxury, so this should be interesting. We've never run out of storage space in the cabin -- but this trip may be the exception.

One of the great perks I miss is being able to drive to our port in San Pedro (come back RCI)..however the luggage limits when flying hasn't stopped me..I use my DL credit card, so one free bag each and have no problem paying $20-25 for an extra bag if I decide I need it in the grand scheme of what I've paid for our vacations...JMH(not so humble)O.:D:D

We love living close to port everglades as we often bring our snorklings equipment, fins, and even our beach umbrella. Not to mention a case of water. :)

The baggage surcharges from the airlines have really put a crimp in our style for several years. My DD and I prefer to pack with the mindset of "What might I possibly need?" as opposed to "What can I get by with?"

We made a sudden decision 2 days ago to book the Grandeur for our next cruise. As we began the early stages of the planning, I pointed out that since we were driving to the port, we wouldn't be packing for the airlines. She got over-the-top excited about all the things she could take! She's never had that luxury, so this should be interesting. We've never run out of storage space in the cabin -- but this trip may be the exception.

We love to pack whatever it is we think we will need! Thats why we love having a cruise port nearby!! My DD and I love having options on what to wear! :D

I knew I was not alone! There is a secret club out there of people who would really like to bring lots of "stuff". I bought that lovely multi-piece matching set of luggage years ago, and haven't been able to use it anymore. It was cheaper to go out and buy the XXL rolling case, instead of paying $50 per bag for the round trip baggage surcharges.

I am usually a nightmare and in previous cruises both our girls have taken huge prom dresses, husband has tux and 2 or 3 suits and I have long evening dresses.

Saying that though we utilise our hand luggage and put shoes and jeans etc in and once had 4 of us with 3 cases on a budget airline with 20 kg so don't think I'm too bad at packing.

This year however it was just the two of us (going with 2 friends but no kids) and we had 23kg each plus 18kg hand luggage. The week before we went I couldn't get it right and kept swapping cases and even bought e extra light cases that were smaller and weighed 2kg each - I took heavy things out, cut my make up down to bare minimum, took smaller lens for my camera but one case was still weighing 25 and one was 26.

By the night before I was so stressed out and fed up I thought leave it and just see if they charge us - our hand luggage was also weighing 18 each.

Met our friends and wondered why our luggage looked a lot smaller and wasn't bulging - got to airport and put it on scales and queried what the 10.1 and 10.2 figures were? Oh yes that would be ours - I had only had the weigher on pounds instead of kilos so our cases weren't overweight they had been showing 25 pounds - what an idiot -

And we still had all our formal wear in cases - made carrying them easier and re packing was a doddle and so quick

Brilliant holiday and we still had two items that we didn't wear each - I am now going to hire myself out to people as the best packer in the world

Archived