Self service guest laundry. Which cruise lines?

coolcookie34

I like to pack light and do my own laundry on board. I have made good use of the laundry facilities on Carnival and it is a big reason for cruising with them. Do any of the other lines offer this? I've been on RCL and know that they didn't.

Thanks.

NCL does not have self-serve laundry rooms. Used to, but did away with them around 2008.

They have dry cleaning service available and send out laundry service. The ship runs a bag special or two depending on length of cruise. Platinum status passengers get free laundry service.

Holland America has self-service laundry facilities on their S and R class ships, but not on the Vistas. However, on all their ships they offer their wonderful Unlimited Laundry package that is the best bargain going! for a 7 day cruise it is $49 per cabin (not per person), and for their 14 day voyages it is $99 per cabin (again, not per person). Can't beat it with a stick! You send things out in the morning, and sometimes by that very evening (though often by the next morning) your garments are returned, beautifully pressed and hung (even tee shirts and jeans - my DH was spoiled!), and undergarments and socks, etc. folded between tissue paper in a wicker basket. We take full advantage of this wonderful service each time - it is especially wonderful for 14 day cruises because you only need to pack 7 days worth of clothing and have all that space leftover in your luggage to bring back souveniers, etc. from your amazing voyage.

You're on vacation - let THEM do the laundry:D!

HAL has self service lauderettes on some of their ships.

Those ships are Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam which are the so-called "S" class ships.

Also on Zaandam, Volendam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam. They are the "R" Class ships.

Prinsendam has self-service launderette as well.

The Vista and Signature Class ships do not have them.

Holland America has self-service laundry facilities on their S and R class ships, but not on the Vistas. However, on all their ships they offer their wonderful Unlimited Laundry package that is the best bargain going! for a 7 day cruise it is $49 per cabin (not per person), and for their 14 day voyages it is $99 per cabin (again, not per person). Can't beat it with a stick! You send things out in the morning, and sometimes by that very evening (though often by the next morning) your garments are returned, beautifully pressed and hung (even tee shirts and jeans - my DH was spoiled!), and undergarments and socks, etc. folded between tissue paper in a wicker basket. We take full advantage of this wonderful service each time - it is especially wonderful for 14 day cruises because you only need to pack 7 days worth of clothing and have all that space leftover in your luggage to bring back souveniers, etc. from your amazing voyage.

You're on vacation - let THEM do the laundry:D!

For us, having a self-service laundry room is a deal breaker for my family, and here's why:

1) We've been taking longer cruises lately (the last three have been two-week ones; before that, we've paired a cruise with a land stay for many of our cruises).

2) My daughter is allergic to regular laundry detergent (so I pack our own detergent -- fortunately she didn't have a reaction to the allergen free 3-in-1 sheets when I tried them out at home) so we can't use the ship's laundry

3) Many of my shirts, and my daughter's too, require air drying. My hubby can put everything he wears in the washer and dryer, but not the case with us.

So don't just assume someone who wants to do their own laundry wants to save on the ship's laundry charges.

As posted, Princess' ships have self serve laundry. As a senior citizen, I'd much rather do laundry on board than have to lug another large duffel along. Next April I'll be on cruises for 23 days. That means I'll probably visit the laundry room 3 times. I'll stop off at a local supermarket before my cruise and buy a roll of quarters.[/font

Gosh, I have to say I get tired and a little frustrated when people suggest "not doing laundry on vacation". For some, this is a small blip on the radar, not a big deal. It's sometimes necessary. I would never proceed to put someone down about their preferences or tell someone to do or not to do something. If someone wants to run a load of laundry, whose business is it? I mean really? Come on... :rolleyes::(

Gosh, I have to say I get tired and a little frustrated when people suggest "not doing laundry on vacation". For some, this is a small blip on the radar, not a big deal. It's sometimes necessary. I would never proceed to put someone down about their preferences or tell someone to do or not to do something. If someone wants to run a load of laundry, whose business is it? I mean really? Come on... :rolleyes::(

Well said!:)

Oceania also have them & supply the soap

Some people do not like to have their clothes ruined by the ship's laundry services

I agree with the other poster

It is a personal choice who cares if i choose to do my own laundry or not:eek:

It is not your time or money I am using

Yep, agree....I wash some things in cold and hang to dry, some things in warm, etc etc. I know the cruise line isn't going to fuss over my clothes and if I have even one garment come back shrunk or ruined in some way, I have wasted more than my time. After reading on other threads about clothing coming back less then stellar, I prefer to do my own and am not a fan of returning home with 11 days worth of dirty laundry. SO, although we love Celebrity, it's a downer that there is no do it yourself laundry. To each his own!

Holland has them ..

As sail7seas noted:

HAL has self service lauderettes on some of their ships.

Those ships are Statendam' date=' Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam which are the so-called "S" class ships.[/b']

Also on Zaandam, Volendam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam. They are the "R" Class ships.

Prinsendam has self-service launderette as well.

The Vista and Signature Class ships do not have them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with advising people of easier ways to do things on a cruise.

After all, that is what these boards are for.

Nobody is required to follow anyone else's advice.

Some people like to make their own beds on a cruise.

We met a woman who said that she cleans her own bathroom every day because she likes it done a certain way.

Some prefer to do their own laundry.

Some like getting their hair or nails done on a cruise, while others prefer to do their own hair or nails.

The ship provides these services, and it is your choice to use them or not.

It is not a matter of right or wrong, just differences in personal preferences.

It's your vacation and your time, so however you enjoy spending it is up to you.

Some Thomson ships provide free launderettes- I'm not sure about T. Majesty, as she's ex NCL.

P&O provide free launderettes on all ships- powder not provided.

Cunard have them, too.

I find a visit to the launderette no more onerous than having a shower before dinner...it's all part of the cleansing routine!;)

Exactly. My favorite comment, so to speak, is "Who wants to do laundry on vacation?" Well, no one, but then again I don't "want" to do laundry at home either. I can't imagine looking forward to it as a fun event. However, we have had things ruined by laundries in the past. We have many clothes that require cold wash and hang to dry. And we have enough stuff we have to carry with us now that we really cannot physically and do not want to schlep another suitcase along.

In any case, I do not find it unbearable to do a few loads of laundry on vacation. I should mention that my hubby does nearly all the laundry at home. I don't mind giving him a break from that.

beachchick

Speaking of that brought to mind- OT for here-but we changed dry cleaners because hubby's favorite suit came back form the dryer clear with moth holes. We were like OMG-what is up with that? Since we use cedar in our closets we knew it happpened there.

Experiences like that is why I prefer to buy washable as much as possible and do it myself.

Archived