Panama Canal Viewing ?????

swissmiss

We are doing a 14 day Radiance, of the Panama Canal, and since we have booked an inside cabin, we would like to know: ie. where the best place to observe from, is there any parts of it that we shouldn't miss, and if it is worthwhile to get off the ship when it stops in Panama at 6:00 pm for a few hours. We would appreciate any information on the whole panama experience.

Hope you enjoy the panama canal the best place i found to observe (even though i was working) was the very front of the ship. (if you can get there), and at the top. You will find the first time you do it pretty awsome - and dont forget to wave to the american base as you pass - they have bleacher boards where they can sit and watch the ships pass. Takes a long time to pass through the locks. Need any more info - just ask....

You will find that the front viewing areas will fill up VERY early in the morning. On our Sun cruise we went to the top forward area around 5:30am and the deck below us (outside the Observation lounge) was full. We did get at the rail though. After we entered the first lock, we just wandered around getting different views. It's interesting to go aft and watch a lock gate close behind you.

We did a complete transit so didn't stop in the Canal. Can't help you there. It's a great experience.

We went on the Celebrity Galaxy.The ship arrived before daybreak.It was a little chilly that early. The closer we got to the locks,the more people arrived on deck. The front of the ship on any deck is good. The higher up is better.

You can see the lights from the locks before the sun starts rising .As the sun rises higher the locks got closer.This was such a great experience for me. I stayed on deck until we passed all of the locks. Each lock is a different color .Passangers went to the back of the ship to see the locks close and another ship entering. Galaxy searve hot coffee as we went through the locks. I would say do not miss this experience.We sailed Nov.2004.

Cqis

Archived