Ridiculous Cunard pricings

bazzaw

I am not Australian and my links might be throwing up a different currency but it is DEFINITELY an Au page and hopefully this is not deemed advertising?

I am not disagreeing with anyone, I am merely curious and asking questions just like everyone else:

price_zps8bd06379.jpg

According to the pricing chart provided by Glojo, they are charging $15,499 per person for Sydney to Sydney in Princess Grill. That's $30,998 for the 23 nights. In 2012 it was around $22k (that's not per person - that for two) to do the exact same voyage!

That's an $8k difference for the same voyage, on the same ship, going in the same direction and stopping at the same ports.

With the New Zealand circumnavigation this year, they were charging more money to do 14 nights in Princess Grill around NZ than they did to do 23 nights in Princess Grill around Australia in 2012.

Someone somewhere is having a laugh.

I have a question.

This circumnavigation

Freemantle to Freemantle

Does this cruise visit Adelaide as per the other three?

I have NO idea if this makes a difference and I might be getting confused.

According to the pricing chart provided by Glojo, they are charging $15,499 per person for Sydney to Sydney in Princess Grill. That's $30,998 for the 23 nights. In 2012 it was around $22k (that's not per person - that for two) to do the exact same voyage!

That's an $8k difference for the same voyage, on the same ship, going in the same direction and stopping at the same ports.

With the New Zealand circumnavigation this year, they were charging more money to do 14 nights in Princess Grill around NZ than they did to do 23 nights in Princess Grill around Australia in 2012.

Could this be the result of a strong Australian dollar against the US dollar? The US dollar is now almost equal to the Australian dollar, back in 2010 it was 1.6 Australian to the US. I know the effects, we had a recent cruise starting in Sydney earlier this year, and could not believe the prices of things generally in Australia.

Perhaps they're following the practice of many US discount stores--start with a high price so you can have markdowns and still make a good profit. We'll have to see if sales crop up.

Could this be the result of a strong Australian dollar against the US dollar? The US dollar is now almost equal to the Australian dollar, back in 2010 it was 1.6 Australian to the US. I know the effects, we had a recent cruise starting in Sydney earlier this year, and could not believe the prices of things generally in Australia.

I doubt it. For example, the 16 night cruise from Hong Kong to Brisbane in Feb 2013 was reduced to the nominal U.S price for the Grills of one thousand dollars per day. Then it got a little cheaper than that. Immediately after that particular sector was the circumnavigation of New Zealand, where the cost of that 14 night voyage was more than the cost of the preceding 16 night voyage (Hong Kong to Brisbane) and the same as last year's 23 night voyage (circumnavigation of Australia).

As a previous passenger irritated by Cunards pricing policy I lurk on these boards as I see the green pastures of retirement approaching. Its so frustrating to have to book in advance (because we have to) then read of incredibly low last minute deals offering far better accomodation at half the price. Cant wait to take advantage of this in theory but I reckon its not as straightforward in practice. I suppose it risks plummeting standards as revenue decreases. Ah well maybe its better to travel hopefully etc............

As a previous passenger irritated by Cunards pricing policy I lurk on these boards as I see the green pastures of retirement approaching. Its so frustrating to have to book in advance (because we have to) then read of incredibly low last minute deals offering far better accomodation at half the price. Cant wait to take advantage of this in theory but I reckon its not as straightforward in practice. I suppose it risks plummeting standards as revenue decreases. Ah well maybe its better to travel hopefully etc............

The way to look on it is to accept that some drop in standards is already with us as an inevitable result of decreasing overall revenue; if you've paid full price, this is considerably more irksome than if you've bagged a bargain.

In my view, the current, pretty good, standards are a bargain for around £90-£100 per person per night for a standard balcony. It is debatable whether they are if you've paid double that.

Peter

The way to look on it is to accept that some drop in standards is already with us as an inevitable result of decreasing overall revenue; if you've paid full price, this is considerably more irksome than if you've bagged a bargain.

In my view, the current, pretty good, standards are a bargain for around £90-£100 per person per night for a standard balcony. It is debatable whether they are if you've paid double that.

Peter

Yup- that sounds about right. I`ll keep lurking!

Archived