San Diego...where to put luggage until flight?

Droop

I know this topic has probably been addressed but I was wondering where we could put/store luggage until our flight would take off. We will be on the Century (Celebrity) from the Panama Canal and I'm presently looking at flights. I've never been to San Diego and it sounds like it's pretty quick and easy to get to the airport. I was thinking of maybe going to the Zoo but I was thinking of the luggage. Does anyone have any wisdom on this subject? :)

Edited by Droop

I live in San Diego, and I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head, but I have previously worked at the airport and there are *no* storage lockers there so just providing that little bit of information. Are you not flying in the day before? Keep in mind that San Diego is a fairly small airport considering the size of the city - there really are not many flights available. If your flight gets cancelled for whatever reason, it isn't very easy to get re-booked to get into town soon enough (Southwest is the only airline with a fair amount of flights coming in - other airlines basically only have flights from hub cities - though there are a fair amount of flights from SF/LA). Also, after working at the airport for an airline, I experienced many upset passengers for missing their cruise ... go the day before! Then you spend a little on a hotel, don't have to worry about missing your cruise, and your luggage storage problem is solved.

Good luck -

Thanks tweakes! We will be coming in from our Panama Canal cruise on the Celebrity Century on the 20th Jan, so the issue with missing the cruise will not be a problem. It's good to know about the issues with the lack of flights though. It's also nice to know about the airport not having luggage storage as well. I've not booked the flight yet so that will give me an idea of the times. There is a 1:55 PM flight out that afternoon to Seattle. There is one that leaves at 10:05 am but I think that is pushing it.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with the luggage without having to rent a car. Again thanks for the info. I just was not sure if there was a hotel that would safely store them.

There are a fair amount of flights to SEA with Alaska Airlines (that's who I worked for actually). Anyway, the zoo is really nice I think and you could spend a fair amount of time there. Also, in January you can usually get some killer deals on car rentals because it is offseason. Also, not sure if you can fly out on Tuesday instead of Monday the 20th, but flights are often cheaper on Tuesdays... Still think its too early to book flights. The early flight for you may work but I wouldn't take the chance... It often takes a while for security/customs but that's often due to the fact that there are many non-US citizens on round trip cruises from SD (being so close to Mexico) but that may be different for a Panama Canal trip. Spend a few days here! :-P.

Also, unless things have changed, you can check luggage in four hours before your flight. However, I know some lines offered the luggage program where they send your luggage directly to the airport as checked baggage through to your final destination... If you have that option (check with the cruise line) then there is no time restriction so that could be an easy way to "store" your luggage.

10:15 is too early a flight in San Diego if you are getting off the ship that day. Customs/Immigrations delays are very common in San Diego. I wouldn't plan on anything before noon. TSA delays can be lengthy in San Diego, and it will only get worse if the sequester is not resolved soon.

Even with a 1:55 flight you would not have time to go to the Zoo, see anything, and get back to the airport at least 1 hour before your flight.

Consider staying over a day and then flying out to Seattle the next day instead. You need at least 6-8 hours at the Zoo to really see it well. Get an inexpensive motel room, check in there after getting off your ship, then go to the Zoo. If you stay near the cruise ship terminal, you can take a cab or even a city bus to the Zoo easily. Have a nice dinner in Old Town, Little Italy, or the Gaslamp Quarter (all with good places to stay as well), and then fly out the next morning.

Edited by Splinter

Yapta sent me an alert for a great rate out of SAN so I snagged it for $132 pp (Alaskan Airline) :D So we will not be staying over night on the return.

I had checked quite a while back for the luggage valet (which I love) but they don't have this service for Celebrity out of SAN. Bummer:(

I'm almost wondering with the delay on getting off the ship if it would be even worth doing anything without feeling rushed/or worried about the luggage. You all have been wonderful with the info that you have shared. I'll have to chew on this and see if there is an alternative.

Thank you so much tweakes and Splinter.:)

Edited by Droop

• 2 months later...

We are also coming in on Jan 20th and wondered about luggage storage at/near the port. We wanted to visit the port area before getting a taxi to our hotel, which we probably can't check into until later in the pm. When we came into Tampa they had an area where we could leave our luggage until catching a van to the airport in the late afternoon. Is there anything similar in San Diego?

We are also coming in on Jan 20th and wondered about luggage storage at/near the port. We wanted to visit the port area before getting a taxi to our hotel, which we probably can't check into until later in the pm. When we came into Tampa they had an area where we could leave our luggage until catching a van to the airport in the late afternoon. Is there anything similar in San Diego?

No luggage storage at the port in San Diego, and you cannot check your luggage in at the airport earlier than 4 hours prior to your flight.

Some have been successful in checking their luggage at a nearby hotel (with a tip for the bell staff of course), or do as the poster above and rent a car for sightseeing and just keep your luggage with you.

We rented a car near the port for about $12/day. We drove to the Wild Animal Park and spent about 5 hours there. We returned the car and they shuttled us to the airport for our 5 pm flight.

Great idea!

Or.... while this is true, I don't really recommend it:

We accidently walked out of the terminal without two of our suitcases. We did not realize the mistake till we were checking in at the airport. We called the port with no luck and then just got on the plane. Two days later, we received a call from the port. They had our luggage and we gave them our credit card # and they shipped the suite cases to our home. Here is the best part... Shipping was cheaper than the $25.00 Alaska Air baggage fee.

Edited by MR NW GUY

RE: They had our luggage and we gave them our credit card # and they shipped the suite cases to our home. Here is the best part... Shipping was cheaper than the $25.00 Alaska Air baggage fee.

Interesting about the shipping. I see you are WA state as well. I was wondering who shipped the luggage. I know they didn't have the luggage valet (Celebrity) but having them ship the luggage would be awesome. Do you know how much it was and were there any issues? I know that some charge a huge amount to ship their luggage home. Thanks ahead of time. :D

The luggage event was 2010. I just double checked with DW and we both only remember that the cost was less than $25.00. Maybe... DHL was the shipping company. We also think it took about 1-week to arrive. I hope this helps...

Re:The luggage event was 2010. I just double checked with DW and we both only remember that the cost was less than $25.00. Maybe... DHL was the shipping company. We also think it took about 1-week to arrive. I hope this helps..

I was wondering if you could go through the ship to get this service or is there another way. This would be awesome if you could. Thanks for letting me know about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Droop,

Not sure if you have figured this out yet or not, but here is what we did.

We took a coastal cruise that ended in San Diego. It was suggested to us by someone on these boards that you could possibly leave your bags with the Holiday Inn (I think this is now a Wyndham), which is across the street and down just a block or so from the cruise terminal.

After leaving the ship we walked over and asked if we could leave the bags and they took them without any questions. It was very busy and a little chaotic so I am not sure that they understood that we were not hotel guests - though we did tell them.

We spent the day at the USS Midway and when we returned for our bags we had no issues. The Bellman even called the shuttle to take us to the airport saving us the taxi fare.

10:15 is too early a flight in San Diego if you are getting off the ship that day. Customs/Immigrations delays are very common in San Diego. I wouldn't plan on anything before noon. TSA delays can be lengthy in San Diego, and it will only get worse if the sequester is not resolved soon.

Even with a 1:55 flight you would not have time to go to the Zoo, see anything, and get back to the airport at least 1 hour before your flight.

Consider staying over a day and then flying out to Seattle the next day instead. You need at least 6-8 hours at the Zoo to really see it well. Get an inexpensive motel room, check in there after getting off your ship, then go to the Zoo. If you stay near the cruise ship terminal, you can take a cab or even a city bus to the Zoo easily. Have a nice dinner in Old Town, Little Italy, or the Gaslamp Quarter (all with good places to stay as well), and then fly out the next morning.

Choice Air has us on a 10:35 flight but the ship is supposed to arrive at 6:00am. So I believe we will be OK.

Choice Air has us on a 10:35 flight but the ship is supposed to arrive at 6:00am. So I believe we will be OK.

That's very tight for San Diego.

All CBP is done onboard, with Non-US meeting up at the crack-of-dawn. If someone doesn't get cleared then the whole process stalls.

Last cruise thru San Diego we did not start debark until almost 9am.

Either do self-assist or get an early number.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Not sure if you have figured this out yet or not, but here is what we did.

We took a coastal cruise that ended in San Diego. It was suggested to us by someone on these boards that you could possibly leave your bags with the Holiday Inn (I think this is now a Wyndham), which is across the street and down just a block or so from the cruise terminal.

After leaving the ship we walked over and asked if we could leave the bags and they took them without any questions. It was very busy and a little chaotic so I am not sure that they understood that we were not hotel guests - though we did tell them.

We spent the day at the USS Midway and when we returned for our bags we had no issues. The Bellman even called the shuttle to take us to the airport saving us the taxi fare.

Familycruiser thanks so much for the tip. That's a great idea with the luggage. I'm still not sure what we will do as for seeing the sights but I just may give it a shot. It's wonderful when someone gives you a great tip. :)

I'm still not sure what we will do as for seeing the sights but I just may give it a shot. It's wonderful when someone gives you a great tip. :)

Take the Hop on Hop off bus. It covers just about everything you need to see.:)

• 1 month later...

Hey Droop,

Just came back from San Diego .There is a luggage storage company out there , they handle my luggage from cruse terminal to airport wile I was exploring San Diego zoo and downtown. Here,check it out

www.sdairportluggage.com . Good luck.

Right now I'm unable to get into the web site. Have you used this company and what are the rates...do you have any ideas or tips? Thanks ever so much for getting back. :)

Re:No problema Droop,

I paid 14 bucks for storage +6 for pick up/drop off and my suitcase was huge , they charging by the size of it.

spelik Thanks for the info. I finally was able to look at the web site when I returned home. If you had a lot of bags it could add up after a while if you were only going to us it for a few hours but it really is great to know that this is available. I'll have to talk with the hubby and our other friends if they are interested. Thank you so much for letting us know. forums like this make it easier for others who are not aware of this. It's nice to know that we would not be lugging the luggage around if we wanted to go see something. :D

Yes you can, +gas+PARKING+insurance,pick up/drop of car,staying in line...Too much of hassle for me dude.

I paid $2.50 on a public bus from San Diego Zoo to airport,and they drop of my luggage right by the baggage check in line. No hassle at all.

Edited by spelik

• 5 years later...