Carnival Liberty draw scam!!! I Won!, Wish I didn't!

Hersheepeg

As soon as we boarded the Carnival Liberty in March, we were bombarded by people from the spa department. They told us to go to the Spa immediately to enter to win a $500.00 gift certificate for the Spa. So we went and entered. We were told we had to come back at 5:00pm for the draw. (have to be present to win). So there we are, ship is leaving Miami, and my GF and I are jammed pack in the "gym" portion waiting for this "draw" to take place. Must of been 300 people jammed in that space. All of a sudden, we get a lecture on services they offer, and then they do a draw for $50.00. They go on and on and tied up close to an hour drawing $50.00 every 10 min. I WON!!! Go to book our Spa package and use the "$50.00" certificate, and was told it was only good on regular priced spas! LMAO everything was on sale, and if you wanted to use it the spa packages started at $205.00. What a scam! What a way to force you to see what the Spa offers.

Don't waste your time with this "draw" as its bogus.

BTW we never did see a $500.00 winner.........:cool:

Edited by oliverboots

Thanks for posting this. I've been to a couple of those things and never won. Now I know it's not worth it to waste my time anymore. I love getting spa treatments but I hate the fierce pressure from the staff to buy all their stuff. I always say no, but really it borders on harassment. On my last cruise, a woman tried to tell me I "needed" to purchase around $1000 worth of products. She actually was angry when I said no. Honestly, I can get an hour massage for $60 at home, so if I pay $100-$200 for a massage or treatment, that is a luxury for me. No way am I going to spend the money on over-priced products. And on 2 of my cruises I paid for high priced treatments the first or second day only to find out they were discounted later during the cruise. That's okay. I wanted the treatments and they were my on-board splurge. But getting a massage and then being harassed totally negates the effect of the massage.

The " spa " sell was really the only issue I had with carnival that I had to escalate

Fortunately I logged a complaint , made sure it was documented

When I got back they tried to tell me it was another company

But I asked them to check the documentation on thier side

They did refund us the money for the weekly pass

I have come to look at the spa as a step about the art folks

As soon as we boarded the Carnival Liberty in March, we were bombarded by people from the spa department. They told us to go to the Spa immediately to enter to win a $500.00 gift certificate for the Spa. So we went and entered. We were told we had to come back at 5:00pm for the draw. (have to be present to win). So there we are, ship is leaving Miami, and my GF and I are jammed pack in the "gym" portion waiting for this "draw" to take place. Must of been 300 people jammed in that space. All of a sudden, we get a lecture on services they offer, and then they do a draw for $50.00. They go on and on and tied up close to an hour drawing $50.00 every 10 min. I WON!!! Go to book our Spa package and use the "$50.00" certificate, and was told it was only good on regular priced spas! LMAO everything was on sale, and if you wanted to use it the spa packages started at $205.00. What a scam! What a way to force you to see what the Spa offers.

I know what you mean, I thought I was in Belize or Jamaica again ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

Omg! I am so glad I read this Bc I was planning on attending the drawing for this on the Valor next month.

I love getting pampered on vacay and have always made it a point to get a massage and a pedi or polish change mid way through my vacations and I was SHOCKED at the prices on Carnival!!!

I really wanted to surprise BF with a couples massage for his b-day but it ranged from $269 - $349. I know I live in the Midwest but that is seriously about 3-4x the cost here!!!

That is so lame. Sorry you wasted your time. The spa is attractive without the gimmicks in my opinion. Hope the rest of your cruise was good.

We are going to have a Spa Balcony cabin on the Splendor, I do not intend to use spa services (massages, etc.), just the private pool and saunas and steam rooms, for this very purpose. Overpriced and pushy! :rolleyes: I can get a lovely massage/wrap treatment at a world class spa close to home (Topnotch in Stowe, VT) - why travel to a cruise ship for this luxury??

Im sorry your experience with the spa drawing was bad. On the Conquest during spring break they also did a $500 drawing. It ended up being about five drawings and I won the biggest one. it was for a specific service or I could trade it in for $140 towards a different service, which is what I did. It was awesome! I did the hot bamboo massage for 50 minutes. I think I had to chip in 20 bucks. while I wouldn't have paid 160 dollars for the service, at 20 it was fabulous! Of course they do try to sell you products, but a polite no is all it takes.

Are you sure you saw that they were giving away a 500. certificate because I have only seen "giving away 500. worth of spa crap" not worded like that.

You go sign your name and they give away spa treatments.

On your cruise people were only getting spa certificates?

On our cruises they always gave away spa treatments-- from a shave. a hair cut. mani or pedis not certificates.

I go when its time for the drawing. sign my name and put it in the box. I won a seaweed wrap and a well being head to toe massage. Winner must be present- they call a lot of names that is not there.

I think the most time it took was 20 minutes. Spa drawings are usually held around 5pm depending on what time the ship sails-- and what time the safety briefing is.

I have never been encountered by a spa worked when entering the ship when we boarded-- maybe the bar waiters trying to sell me a soda card but not the spa people-- they are busy giving tours in the spa

Edited by serene56

Are you sure you saw that they were giving away a 500. certificate because I have only seen "giving away 500. worth of spa crap" not worded like that.

You go sign your name and they give away spa treatments.

On your cruise people were only getting spa certificates?

On our cruises they always gave away spa treatments-- from a shave. a hair cut. mani or pedis not certificates.

I go when its time for the drawing. sign my name and put it in the box. I won a seaweed wrap and a well being head to toe massage. Winner must be present- they call a lot of names that is not there.

I think the most time it took was 20 minutes. Spa drawings are usually held around 5pm depending on what time the ship sails-- and what time the safety briefing is.

I have never been encountered by a spa worked when entering the ship when we boarded-- maybe the bar waiters trying to sell me a soda card but not the spa people-- they are busy giving tours in the spa

I haven't experienced this myself yet, but the Valor Fun Times state "$500 Spa Certificate Giveaway" which is what piqued my interest. It is misleading for sure, but knowing that there are Mani's and Wraps given away I'll prob still drop by :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

First of all, you're upset with Steiner Leisure, not Carnival. They're an outside company who runs the spa (and about 75% of the cruise ship spa industry). You could have left at any time... You're not out any money and you didn't have pay to enter their drawing. Did you think they were giving away $500 out of the goodness of their heart? They're a business who where making new customers aware of what they offered. They were GIVING AWAY $50 credits every 10 minutes, which you won and were under no obligation to use, and yet you're upset that you weren't given something free and it's a scam???? It's called a promotion. There's a little known secret obout these cruise ships.... They're a business trying to make money. If you didn't like what you were seeing after 10 minutes, walk away. Nobody owes you anything and there certainly wasn't a "scam". I'm sure many of the winners were happy to apply a 25% discount off their $200 treatment. If you're not interested, walk away and enjoy your vacation.....

My husband and I went and signed up for this at his insistence. I left 10 minutes into it (the kids' orientation starts at 5:15 and this was at 5). Anyway, he ended up winning a $75 certificate. He brought it to me afterwards and told me to book something.

So, I looked on it and at the bottom it stated it was non-transferrable (I was booked in a different room and they still let me use it, I didn't say who had won it, just showed them the cert). It also states it is only for signature services which massages start at $149. It has to be used WHILE we are in Port (they worked with me and I booked for 1:45 when we left at 2 so I didn't have to miss the port.) and it mst be booked by 10 PM on embarkation day (less than 5 hour window to book)

I used it for a Hot Stone Massage and paid the $74 for it. It was nice and a splurge and only did it since my husband told me I should... normally I don't get massages ever.

I was glad to have gotten it but think the rules are ridiculous. Great if you are aware of them and planning on using it within these parameters. I probably won't go next time but might since we won't have the kids with us (the kid's orientation was a waste if you have researched and don't have any questions) and I am sure my husband will want to go lol he's lucky!

Oh, and for our cruise, they said they were giving away a chance to win $500 in spa credits.... I think that was the total of all the credits given away.

I was not pressured to purchase anything at all.

Edited by KatPem

I avoid all the drawings these days.. avoid the crowds.. relax and enjoy.

Me too. My first cruise I wasted almost a full fun day at sea listening how I could reduce my belly fat...well, maybe staying away from the buffets that day helped, but the talk was total rubbish. Second cruise, missed sail away waiting in the spa area....couldn't feel the ship move. Now, I just buy what I want and don't worry about winning anything. Lucky enough just being on a cruise! Although our 27 yr old DD did win the up to $500 off your bar bill on our last cruise and lucky for us, she was linked to our S&S account so FREE drinks for all of us. :D

I have tried to do the spa drawing a couple times. Have never won anything. Sometimes I have got there shortly before the drawing and could not even get into the room it was so packed with people.

Glad to know I haven't missed much! If I really want to splurge on a treatment I wait until they offer the specials. I won't miss port time for it, but sometimes they offer the 3 for $99 deals on sea days or after you've sailed.