Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

I haven't done it...yet. I guess I would, but we only started cruising a few years ago so since we hadn't ever been to some of the embarkation points of our cruises (San Juan, Baltimore, Miami, Ft Lauderdale) we wanted to spend a day or 2 there before the cruise to soak it in. And...in one case we sailed out of New Orleans - our favorite city so 2 pre-nights was mandatory! :D I'd fly in same day for FLL or MIA, definately Baltimore since its a quick flight for me from Upstate NY and there are a ton of flights every day...so I guess it depends for us on where we're cruising from!

Yep! We're getting early morning out from the ATL to FLL, direct flights. :)

DH and I live on the edge I guess... :)

We live in FL so we don't have to fly for many of our cruises however when we have we chose to fly in day of usually. We have done this from Fort Lauderdale to Newark direct for Explorer out of Bayonne in Sept 2011. We also flew in day of from Fort Lauderdale to Newark, Newark to Copenhagen day of for the Vision in Sept 2012.

When we fly in day of we always take the earlier possible flight, we are flying to the Celebrity Reflection in Civitavecchia in August and we will again be flying in day of.

I think that if its the earliest, direct flight.. Chances are good you'll make it.

Wow.

Thanks for your "positive" input. Now, go enjoy your day. :rolleyes:

Haha!! Oh man, tough crowd today, eh? I guess they'd rather read the thousandth thread on "Why I don't like Quantum" or "The drink package is stupid".

I have read somewhere that 70% of cruisers arrive at the destination on the same day. This likely includes those close enough to drive in.

We took a cruise from Vancouver last August and flew in 2 days early. [yes--I am one of those over planners] The day we flew in was the day after the United airlines reservation system crashed in chicago and delayed/cancelled many flights. It was up by the day we flew, but, seats were all messed up. The women sitting next to me [since they had moved DH to the back of the plane:p] was leaving that day on a Princess ship. We landed around 10:30 am. [right on time] She had to collect luggage nd walk to the custom area, [30 mins], stand in line to go through customs [took us 50 mins] and get to the port. [at least 30 mins] Then she had to go through US customs and the ticket process. I am sure she made it by 3 pm for her 4:30 departure. OK-there is your success story.

She told me her TA suggested the flight and told her she would have plenty of time. :confused:

But, this could not have been me.

I've cruised 10 times to date and have flown in the day prior for FOUR out of those TEN. One of those times it was absolutely necessary, due to flight availability and departing from a different time zone than our own. The other times it was precautionary.

I've had only one very close call and it involved a CONNECTING flight. Since then, I've opted for NON-STOP flights ONLY when flying to the departure port the day of the cruise.

HOWEVER, one of those "precautionary" overnight stays SAVED us. Departing from New England in January, we were on the LAST FLIGHT TO LEAVE the airport before it was closed down due to a snow storm...which became a MAJOR blizzard. Had we not flown out the day prior, we would have missed the ship. Many people did miss the ship for that reason.

If I can afford both the time and the money, I'd very much prefer to fly the day prior. I will be doing so on my next cruise, despite the fact we're sailing out of San Juan - the easiest place to manage same-day travel because of the ships' late departure time. But sometimes, it's just not feasible.

I always take out insurance...not that that would come CLOSE to compensating me for a missed cruise. (It's not just about the MONEY!)

If you can get a non-stop flight arriving at the departure port HOURS prior to departure, allowing you some wiggle room in case of a delay, it's perfectly feasible...particularly in good weather months. You could still encounter issues (American Airlines had a system-malfunction which grounded all planes one day this week), but your odds are certainly better.

I agree that people are often too black or white on this issue and you need to use your best judgement. If you only have five vacation days to use for your 7 day cruise, you can't spare the extra day off and you do your best to minimize the possibility of disaster. Better that than NOT to cruise!

I would NOT fly in the day of the cruise.

Did it on my first one back in 1990 when they booked the fligths for you (were included I think). They even met you at the airport for transport.

These days, no. We have an Amex card that pays points on hotels and get you room for free. We pay for the cruise on the card, and essentially get a free room (or two).

To add to the chaos...

I not only had flight issues to Barcelona for a med cruise...BUT...when I landed NO luggage!!!! :eek: Another cruised saved because I flew in 3 days early. Luggage caught up with us the next day. Now that was an OMG moment!

Patty

for us, it depends on the situation.

Summer, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami where we have a 7-8am landing at 10-11am early possible with back ups- we've done that quite a few times, including the Allure for our anniversary.

That one is so easy, that it's not an issue.

Orlando- that one is more interesting, since we have to search a little more for a good deal for transportation- we fly the day before the two times we've sailed there.

San Juan- twice we flew early, but that was also to visit family before. Once we did a last min cruise and flew the day of- that was an adventure, since our first leg was canceled for mechanical reasons. We managed to re-book our first choice path through a different airport, and made it in time. One of the good days to have status on an airline.

We've done Houston the same day- no biggie.

Baltimore- summer- really nice super early flight with many back ups. Winter- yea- snow makes me arrive a day early.

Tampa was a day early, since we met my parents before hand- I think going same day would have been ok that spring.

Most of the time, I'm not worried about travelling the same day. IMHO, ignorance is bliss. I know the hot dogs taste good- but don't tell me what's in them.... :D

I know everyone says fly in the day before, but I am starting to think is that really going to help you, flights are so full when things go wrong it is hard to find another flight.

Last summer we were flying to Laguardia to go on a cruise, 2 days before the cruise. Of course August Thunderstorms, for 3 days in a row Air Canada cancelled all flights. There is almost a flight an hour Toronto to NYC , but no flights were available for 2 days, after our flight was cancelled as so many people were trying to get out. People who booked day of cruise flights had great weather and flights were on time.

I don't have a funny story but I do have a recent near miss!

We booked flights to Vegas for super bowl and we were due to leave Fri pm. Friends travelling with us decided we needed to go in the morning (their first time to Vegas). Flights booked for am.

Snowing in Cleveland, leave gate 10 mins late, then takes 40 mins for de-icing. Our 1 hour layover is now reduced to 10 mins... Take off and pilot announces we are landing early, woohoo 20 mins to get to gate... Land and plane blocking our gate, oh crap. Get off the plane with 7 minutes to go before scheduled departure. Send husbands ahead as friend is pregnant and I'm not supposed to run anyway (pins and other devices in my feet, running not good). We think we are making very good time through airport (never walked so fast in my life). Get a call we have 30 seconds to get there, we break into a sprint (I have become one of THOSE people dashing thru the airport) Get on plane as closing door. Husband having asthma attack, no inhaler as in carry on bags which became checked bags back in Cleveland (another story for another day). Pilot comes over PA system to inform us we are delayed for 30 minutes as we don't have sanitary water. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but WE MADE IT!!

On both of the cruises I've taken, I've flown in the same day on nonstop flights. I've been nervous both times. Last week, when we were about to take off, the pilot stopped and turned off the engine and said we couldn't take off her two hours (it was 8am) because of something in ft. Lauderdale. My heart fell into my stomach. I was about to panic. After a few minutes, he came back and said we would be able to take off in 15 minutes and we arrived a little after 11am, on the ship by 12:30. After that experience, I think will fly in the day before.

We are flying in to Honolulu on the day of our next cruise. But we overnight there, so I think that's kind of the same as flying in the day before.;)

I usually have to fly in the day before, since flights from LA to the East Coast wouldn't arrive in time for any ship's departure except maybe the 10pm. And if we are departing from a West Coast city (other than LA or SD, which we drive to), then we would want to be there to explore, SF, Seattle, Vancouver. But I know plenty of people who do those close hops on the day of the cruise without any issue.

Flying overseas, no way would I plan to arrive on the day of the cruise. We wouldn't even book one if we couldn't spend days, if not a week, in the port country or nearby. That's too far to travel just to get on a ship.

But we did fly from Milan to Barcelona on the day of the cruise. That was fine; our mistake was buying the RCI transfers (we were rookies). We waited a good two hours just to get on the bus, when a taxi would have gotten us there in 20-30 minutes for less money.

First cruise we went on back in 1989, we flew from Akron to Chicago to Philadelphia to San Juan on the day of the cruise. :eek:

We were with a group out of Akron and I sure was happy to finally get to the ship. But boy was that a long day. I know we got all of our luggage, but I don't remember if anyone in our 100 person group had any problems.

Mark.

Ive had to do the same day flight as well.

My upcoming cruise is say day, I know I know.

But, like you, it really wasnt an option.

I leave the 1st flight available, 7:30 and Im only 1.5 hour flight

not to say that something still cant go wrong. Anything could happen

but actually the odds are with you. imho..depending on how far and

if how many lay overs. If I had layovers I probably would worry.

If you have to do it i say go for it. Id rather book one and chance it

than not book and have zero chance. Of course Id get insurance.

I wonder if people have bad luck getting home. We dont usually hear

about that although getting home is the fun part. I too, have to fly in

the day of and I just keep positive. At least I have 4 weeks to plan

and get excited and vision myself on the ship.

Good luck

Thanks for the kind words! Same to you- Good Luck!

YES for getting insurance!

I think it all depends on where you're flying from. If it's a non-stop flight from Point A to B, and the flight is early morning - then I might - I said MIGHT - chance it. From Canada - no way - especially in winter. Not only do I have to contend with two flights (if I'm lucky) to get there, I also have to worry about the weather. So no way would I ever chance it. We've been delayed on far too many flights to feel comfortable with the "same day" scenario.

I don't have a funny story but I do have a recent near miss!

We booked flights to Vegas for super bowl and we were due to leave Fri pm. Friends travelling with us decided we needed to go in the morning (their first time to Vegas). Flights booked for am.

Snowing in Cleveland, leave gate 10 mins late, then takes 40 mins for de-icing. Our 1 hour layover is now reduced to 10 mins... Take off and pilot announces we are landing early, woohoo 20 mins to get to gate... Land and plane blocking our gate, oh crap. Get off the plane with 7 minutes to go before scheduled departure. Send husbands ahead as friend is pregnant and I'm not supposed to run anyway (pins and other devices in my feet, running not good). We think we are making very good time through airport (never walked so fast in my life). Get a call we have 30 seconds to get there, we break into a sprint (I have become one of THOSE people dashing thru the airport) Get on plane as closing door. Husband having asthma attack, no inhaler as in carry on bags which became checked bags back in Cleveland (another story for another day). Pilot comes over PA system to inform us we are delayed for 30 minutes as we don't have sanitary water. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but WE MADE IT!!

I think I may have done a little bit of both!!:eek:

Glad you made it!!:D

I think it all depends on where you're flying from. If it's a non-stop flight from Point A to B, and the flight is early morning - then I might - I said MIGHT - chance it. From Canada - no way - especially in winter. Not only do I have to contend with two flights (if I'm lucky) to get there, I also have to worry about the weather. So no way would I ever chance it. We've been delayed on far too many flights to feel comfortable with the "same day" scenario.

I completely understand your point

We have a direct early morning flight with Delta from Atlanta to FLL

Back in March DH and I were on a US Airways flight to Ft. Lauderdale that was diverted to Orlando due to generator trouble (no generator = no power to the cockpit instruments, so = serious).

We were not meeting a cruise, but at least 1/2 of our fellow passengers were. The airline got everyone and all the luggage onto another plane within an hour of landing in MCO (stole the aircraft from a flight headed back to DC), took down a list of who was meeting what ship, coordinated with the cruiselines to expect last minute arrivals, and let cruise passengers off the plane first on FLL.

I'm sure some people did miss their ship, and this this would not make me comfortable to fly down same day, but it was really nice to see the "powers that be" were working together to get as many people to their cruises as possible and not just acting blase about the situation.

I completely understand your point

We have a direct early morning flight with Delta from Atlanta to FLL

cruzegurl104-

You oughta do exceptionally well with a same-day flight that's only going from ATL to FLL. I'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable with that, than flying same day out of my home airport of O'Hare in Chicago. Everything is late. Even in good weather, you need to leave several days before (gross exaggeration, but you get it). Geesh...:confused:

cruzegurl104-

You oughta do exceptionally well with a same-day flight that's only going from ATL to FLL. I'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable with that, than flying same day out of my home airport of O'Hare in Chicago. Everything is late. Even in good weather, you need to leave several days before (gross exaggeration, but you get it). Geesh...:confused:

Yep. I get it.

I'm sorry, was I not supposed to create a thread for a discussion such as this? I thought that's what these boards are for.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to hear other stories of ppl in the same boat I'm in. Hahahahahahaha

Geesh:confused:

Archived