majesty regulations

hi , we are going on he majesty on 14th june, been on all other Thompson ships about 12 times, first time on majesty, been reading comments regarding taking /not taking drinks on board, and no spirits in duty free on board, (found this last year on dream ) so once and for all, can you buy/take on board drinks, or will they be taken off you till end of cruise,i agree with lots of previous comments regarding all new regulations on thompson ships,they are driving loyal customers to look at other cruise lines, as other companies are more price competitive , looking at the prices we paid last year they have risen a lot - we are celebrating are golden wedding in October and about to look at destinations with Thompson, but might leave it till we come back in june and see if our "fears" are justified, looking forward to being on the majesty in spite/despite conflicting reviews regarding this ship, would like to know if anyone else on here going on same cruise.

This has only happened on the Dream so far, and in the Caribbean, so no one is sure whether it is a Dream thing, or a Caribbean thing. That will become clearer once the Dream comes back to Europe.

As for the Celebration, somone mentioned notices being up, but i do not recall 1 person saying they had their drinks taken off them, but someone else may confirm/deny this.

As for spirits on sale in the Duty Free shop, this all depends on your itinery, you need to have at least 1 stop at a non EU country, then the duty free shop will be open on that cruise.

Looks like you are doing Adriatic Explorer, which calls at Montenegro, which is not an EU country, so duty free should be open. Also, Croatia does not join the EU until 1st July.

We were on the Majesty at Easter around the Canaries and they were not stopping any one from bringing alcohol on board, in fact they were not even using the scanner/ conveyor belt on entering the ship.

Hi supergrannyfran I'm going on Majesty on 7th June for 2weeks so will be on my second week when you get on ,looking forward to it .I have read all the reviews on different sites and I'm not bothered by them I will make my own mind up anyway ,the only thing that could spoil my cruise is very bad weather and don't think that will happen.:):)

I was on Majesty last week on the last Canary island cruise before transferring to the Med. We bought a bottle of gin on the 2nd night from the Duty Free Shop on the ship (with 15% off) to use in the cabin and used the cans of tonic in the cabin. However, at La Palma we even bought a bottle of Schweppes and a bottle of wine mfg on La Palma recommended by our excursion guide which we drank in our cabin. No checks were made although my friend felt uncomfortable taking it on board as she usually cruises with Royal Caribbean. :eek: We also bought gift packs of little bottles of wine from Blandy's at Madeira and brought them on board in the Blandy's bags. :). no problem.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. We did hear some moans but only by people who had booked the standard cabins without checking what size they had bought. We get such a lot of good advice from this site but very few people are aware of it.

If you do get bad weather, you can still enjoy your cruise......we did!!

If you do get bad weather, you can still enjoy your cruise......we did!!

Hi Jackie, Yes I know there is always something to do Onboard if the weather is bad ,and can still go ashore I always take my small brollie with me ,but my brother is going with us and if the weather is not v sunny and warm every day boy will he sulk so I always go with fingers crossed ,and we have mostly been very lucky .:)

Our first cruise on the Dream was in October 2011 when it was a cruise to Italy, France and Spain, the shop on board sold alcohol which I bought and they supplied these big padded poly sacs to take them home. We more or less repeated this cruise in Sept 2012 (same countries but a few different towns). The shop sold no alchohol. When I asked about this I was told that alchohol is sold when visiting non EU countries. But I wonder why and when that policy changed during that year. Is it a Thomson policy or law? However cross channel ferries sell alcohol in their shops.

:)hi macren, thanks for reply, looking forward to going on 14th, not been on majesty before, been on all others over 12 times, when we were on the dream last june, that was the first time I had heard that the duty free shop on board stopped selling drink (husband likes a drink in cabin before dinner) I am not bothered as I don't really drink, I agree that this site is very helpful, and offers good information, and everyone seems friendly, we should have some sort of code to recognise fellow "critics" when on same cruise !! seeing that you are going for two weeks, you will have "sussed" out the ship, enjoy xx:cool:

:)hi macren, thanks for reply, looking forward to going on 14th, not been on majesty before, been on all others over 12 times, when we were on the dream last june, that was the first time I had heard that the duty free shop on board stopped selling drink (husband likes a drink in cabin before dinner) I am not bothered as I don't really drink, I agree that this site is very helpful, and offers good information, and everyone seems friendly, we should have some sort of code to recognise fellow "critics" when on same cruise !! seeing that you are going for two weeks, you will have "sussed" out the ship, enjoy xx:cool:

It's our first time on Majesty as well only been on Emerald with Thomson some 17years ago ,have cruised other lines though .We don't drink in cabin always go to a bar so the duty free thing doesn't bother me ,we are all inc anyway so no worries for us .Yes we should have Sussed it out by the time you get on ,you won't miss me ill be the one with 2men in tow wherever I go my brother is with us ,he's like my shadow .:D:D

hi macn are, our first cruise was on the emerald, and that's when we got "hooked " on Thompson, although we have been on all Thompson ships, (except majesty) I can honestly say we have never enjoyed a cruise so much, back then the waiters were always showing/doing tricks at the dining table, and were always pleasant and helpful (not saying present crew are not ) but we have noticed thatlots of little things that were the "norm" seemed to have been dropped, but after saying that we still always enjoyed all the cruises, this will be the first time we have cruises on our own, usually go with sister and her husband, but the are not well enough this time, so will be looking out for a lady in toe with two men !!! enjoy your cruise xx

Archived